DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Default sndio instead of jackd?

Hello,

I am in the process of replacing Debian (systemd drama) with OpenBSD (thinkpad compliant) as my new desktop OS. Besides flash and wine(+linux compat), I have been able to adapt myself.
The FAQ, manpages plus pkg-readmes are really hepling.

Now to my question:
Lately, I learned about sndiod.
I played a little with midish + midi-keyboard.+ midi files + fluidsynth.+ sndiod.
Could sndiod be used as jackd in order to manually connect audio apps? Like fluidsynth to calf?
Are we supposed to use jack separately, next to sndio?

Thank you.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

I will start start with your last question which is the most interesting. I am not 100% sure but I think that the answer is yes. You can use sndio to manually connect audio apps. I think Jack pre-dates sndio audio server in ports tree and it might be there for dependency reasons. I would post that question on misc@openbsd and wait to see what Alexandre Ratchov has to say. He is professional musician too. Another legendary sndio developer was Jacob Meuser. He has disappeared from all mailing lists about 5 years ago. I really hope everything is OK with Jacob.

Wine was at some point in the past in ports but was removed due to security issues. Also later versions required some changes to OpenBSD kernel which developers were not willing to make.

Linux comp is on the dead bed. More or less the only thing Linux comp (available only on i386) was useful for was Opera web browser. Opera is dead as you know and was recently removed from port three. My crystal ball is telling me that Linux comp will have the same fate soon.

Once upon a time /graphics/swfdec was reasonably useful for Flash. Gnash never really was working as expected. More or less the community attitude has been if you need Flash you really should not be running OpenBSD.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Thank you Oko.

I saw a video of Alexandre Ratchov about sndio where he demonstrates some functionality: mainly midi-triggering and automation with midi controller (mix tables, faders) and midi files, syncing audios apps.

The part I am more interested in is the jack functionnality: interconnect hardware and/or audio/midi applications.
It is my understanding that sndio doesn't expose audio interfaces so it seems that it doesn't have the flexibility jack does. For now?...
midish on the other hand, allows you to remap and redirect midi event.
Btw, what is aucat? Is it sndio ancestor? Why is it still in the base system?

As a newcomer, I am carefull not to rush to the mailing list. I will try to use OpenBSD more and more for all my needs and keep the real questions for the mailing lists.

Bye.

Edit: As for flash and wine, my plan is to keep a spare Debian laptop.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkygoby View Post
Wikipedia is pretty accurate:

Minimal server capability was added to aucat (audio stream manipulation tool, sndiod predecessor) in October 2008, thus shipped with OpenBSD 4.5. In December 2011, aucat was renamed to sndiod and later shipped with OpenBSD 5.1 as default sound server started at operating system boot.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkygoby View Post
Thank you Oko.

I saw a video of Alexandre Ratchov about sndio where he demonstrates some functionality: mainly midi-triggering and automation with midi controller (mix tables, faders) and midi files, syncing audios apps.

The part I am more interested in is the jack functionnality: interconnect hardware and/or audio/midi applications.
It is my understanding that sndio doesn't expose audio interfaces so it seems that it doesn't have the flexibility jack does. For now?...
midish on the other hand, allows you to remap and redirect midi event.

As a newcomer, I am carefull not to rush to the mailing list. I will try to use OpenBSD more and more for all my needs and keep the real questions for the mailing lists.

Bye.

Edit: As for flash and wine, my plan is to keep a spare Debian laptop.
This what I do (but Arch instead of Debian). I started with OBSD about 8 months ago and now use it for practically all purposes. As for flash, I encounter sites that expect me to have it but generally ignore them with the exception of BBC iPlayer, for which I rely on get_iplayer.