DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Guides

Guides All Guides and HOWTO's.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2008
Port Guard

Default HOWTO: Always install an up-to-date port

I know I should, but I very rarely have the latest ports tree on my system and it's for that reason I always make sure that a port I'm about to install is up to date.

So, this isn't a very lengthy or complex howto but next time your about to install a port and are unsure weather it's the latest skeleton version or not run this command first;

Code:
cvsup -i ports/CATAGORY/YOUR-PORT -g /location/of/your/ports-supfile
for example, if i wanted to install libtorrent-devel and my ports sup file was in the root DIR I'd run the following command

Code:
cvsup -i ports/net-p2p/libtorrent-devel -g /root/ports-supfile && cd /usr/ports/net-p2p/libtorrent-devel && make install clean
That's it! But remember it's still important to keep your ports tree up to date as some ports may install other dependencies which you had not accounted for.

If you haven't edited your ports-supfile yet you must do so beforehand, a typical user will only need to edit the *default host= variable and to help you find the fastest cvsup host a tool called fastest-cvsup has been developed, you can find it here;

Code:
/usr/ports/sysutils/fastest_cvsup
An example supfile can be found here;

Code:
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

Last edited by chris; 26th May 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Tags
cvsup, freebsd, ports-supfile, update port, update uninstalled port, upgrade port