DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2010
Package Pilot

Default Moving /var to /usr/var

http://www.redantigua.com/move-var-to-usr.html

Quote:
... filling up the root partition with temporary files is never a good idea, so /var and /tmp should not be left on the root partition, but moved to /usr/ instead.
I read a lot of user will move var and tmp to the usr partition. What I don't understand is why people claim "if tmp or var get full, data may over-flow or affect the root partition". Is this true?

I kind of find this hard to believe because if var and tmp are truly partitions it's would not be possible for data to cross partition. Also all other partition are under ROOT and when data get save or what-ever it move DOWNWARDS from the beginning of given partitions free-space, not UPWARD. Is that not true?

Than how about the usr partition. If what they claim is true would not the usr partition be capable of the same possible overflow filling up the root partition?

It sounds like FreeBSD only gives you two real partition and the rest are only directories/folders inside the root partition itself. Is this true?

Could someone please help me to understand what really going on here. Are they moving directories/folders or are they actually moving real partitions?

I normally do BSD default partition, not BDS labels. Now I feel they are one and the same.

Code:
/
v ---- next data down

/tmp
v ---- next data down

/var
v ---- next data down

/usr
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2010
Spam Refugee

If you make /var and /tmp partitions, they cannot overflow into anything, they can just fill up. Simple as that. A partition is just that: a partition. Whether it's rooted in the root filesystem or not, it can't 'overflow'. What the website you're quoting from is basically saying is: use one big /usr partition, and put everything in it as directories to avoid wasted space in dedicated partitions. That might be reasonable advice if you have a 8 GB disk, but with the huge disks you get for your bucks nowadays, using sensible and generously sized partitions is better. Or move on to more flexible options like ZFS, of course,

Last edited by DutchDaemon; 5th August 2010 at 10:40 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2010
Package Pilot

Quote:
If you make /var and /tmp partitions, they cannot overflow into anything, they can just fill up.
This is really some good news.

Quote:
What the website you're quoting from is basically saying is: use one big /usr partition, and put everything in it as directories to avoid wasted space in dedicated partitions.
This was about the only one out of many threads I read that made this kind of clear but it made no since to me why one would want to do this. I always thought the best thing about FreeBSD was that everything has it own partition. Thanks for finalizing this.

This was my first time trying after wondering about it for a long time. I did not like it so I just dd my PRIMARY-1 and will now re-install with peace of mind. Now I'll never have to look back. This been bugging me for a long time ..... Thank again

Last edited by sharris; 6th August 2010 at 12:11 AM.