DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Google Chrome browser

Link
Holy crap! Vroooooooooommmmmmmmm!!!! I thought Opera was fast!

I can't wait till this is available on something other than Windows but here I am on Chrome. How do I look?

This thing imported all my Firefox bookmarks, passwords, history and almost leapt off the table to get on the 'net. A minimalist UI, which I like. You guys just gots ta see this thing.

(Well, at least it made a good first impression on me)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2008
Banned

Just some heads up:
http://www.chromium.org/
http://dev.chromium.org/

The thing of importance:
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/h...ructions-linux
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/h...tructions-os-x

As for the speed, you might also see similar speeds on other Webkit browsers, i.e: www/midori.

Looks like it's already possible to run on Linux and OS X, might even be possible to build on FreeBSD...

Last edited by BSDfan666; 2nd September 2008 at 09:44 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2008
Banned

I should also add, the Google Chrome browser itself BSD licenced..

Webkit is a mix of BSD and LGPL licences.

(Administrators, please consider removing that annoying "Post Last Edited" thing...).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666
Looks like it's already possible to run on Linux...
You can build Chromium and submit bug reports, but AFAIK that's the extent of it. (If it can actually be run on Linux already, I'd sure like to try it out.)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Yeah, I was all set to download it on a Linux box till I saw that warning. :-(.

Anyone tried Midori? (Please, no puns based on the fact that it's a Japanese girl's name. Let's be mature.)
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Wow!!!!

I just downloaded Google Chrome on my windows box (yea, I do use Windows ) and you guys are right. This web browser is really fast.

Thanks for the post!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Deminer

What makes Google Chrome so flashy, everyone is talking about new browser everywhere? I couldnt see a single reason to switch to the new browser. Google browser is long long way to go in comparision with Opera and FX.

Its funny to say there is a so called innovative feature: tab bar over the address bar. Tab bar over or under address bar, does it matter? I personally doesnt give a damn about it. Will it look nicer, more user-friendly, save space, or faster and more secure??? And btw, with Opera, it could take a few clicks to do that.

Each tab running under a single process to prevent crash? Thanks but no thanks, I havent experience any crash with Opera for months, also Im unsure of how much resource it will take.

The only feature is catching my intention is a new Javascript engine. I believe Mozilla Foundation is developing an identical one. Lets see how its going.

I reakon Google is reaching the point which it can influence users by its brand, not its actual product.

Same story for Apple products and FX recently.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Banned

I don't know, they picked a good engine... Gecko is showing its age, but it'll continue being my preferred browser.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Bleh, I don't like how it complete overrides my UI settings ... I hate programs that do that.
And I hate programs that silently add a startup entry in the registry even less.

Chrome does both ...

Anyway,
It doesn't seem to be that revolutionary fast to me ... Or particularly impressive on any other point ... I think this will be another ``google hype'' like gmail, docs, maps, etc.
Arp Constable

I think you're perfectly right 18Googol2, in my case I want to try it. Because I think all browsers suck, I just want to *someday* find one besides Lynx that sucks less then most ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 3rd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2 View Post
I couldnt see a single reason to switch to the new browser. Google browser is long long way to go in comparision with Opera and FX.
Each tab runs in its own process. Extra processes, such as media players, scripts, etc., are "jailed" so they have no access that would allow malware, virus, to infect the OS. If a tab crashes, only that tab goes down while the rest of the browser/tabs are unaffected.

Javascript uses the latest available and is 3 bazillion times faster than all others.
User add-ons are coming. This is only version 0.2
Quote:
Each tab running under a single process to prevent crash? Thanks but no thanks, I havent experience any crash with Opera for months, also Im unsure of how much resource it will take.
According to a lot of Windows rum-drinkers, every browser other than IE crashes on an hourly basis.

Other than that, with Google's backing, this will help drive nails into the IE coffin so we web developers can either kiss that POS goodbye or force Microsoft to drag it out of 1998.
Old 3rd September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
this will help drive nails into the IE coffin so we web developers can either kiss that POS goodbye or force Microsoft to drag it out of 1998.
Firefox already did this for the most part, IE7 is already a good improvement over IE6, and the upcoming IE8 will be even better ... It would seem that the days where webmasters are constantly cursing IE for the lack of standard support and/or bugs are soon over.

Quote:
According to a lot of Windows rum-drinkers, every browser other than IE crashes on an hourly basis.
*cough* *cough*

At least Opera and Firefox(3) remember your last state when the browser crashes, so typically little is lost in a crash ...
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Firefox already did this for the most part, IE7 is already a good improvement over IE6, and the upcoming IE8 will be even better ... It would seem that the days where webmasters are constantly cursing IE for the lack of standard support and/or bugs are soon over.
IE8 is still 10 years behind web standards
or wrong in its implementation.
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Each tab runs in its own process. Extra processes, such as media players, scripts, etc., are "jailed" so they have no access that would allow malware, virus, to infect the OS. If a tab crashes, only that tab goes down while the rest of the browser/tabs are unaffected.
I like the idea, albeit not sure how well Google implements it. Protecting the system from malware is obvious purpose, the other thing I could think of, since the tab runs as stand-alone process and doesnt interfere with other tabs, the risk of XSS attack will be minimised?

Quote:
Javascript uses the latest available and is 3 bazillion times faster than all others.
I just give Chrome a go. Frankly, it makes no difference in rendering speed to me. I tried a couples of sites and I couldnt tell if Opera is slower than Chrome (not because I prefer Opera)

Quote:
I dont use Windows but I find it very unrealistic. Very rare I experience crash with Opera and FX when I need to use them under Windows at school or in my test machine. Never heard anybody says his/her browser crash every hour, either
Old 3rd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I said that tongue-in-cheek. Some of the web dev sites I visit (and I don't know why) have these people showing up who swear Fx and Opera couldn't display Google properly.

Opera, too, is very fast but Chrome's Javascript is stupid fast. Firefox's js will be getting there soon.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 3rd September 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Deminer

Now, let the fun begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google (EULA)
...By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services...

You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services...

You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license...

Last edited by 18Googol2; 3rd September 2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 3rd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I saw that, too, and others bring it up, but I'm not sure what it means. Specifically it mentions stuff "you give Google" but you don't submit, post or display content when you're surfing. So what does that apply to? In the same breath they say "services" and that's where I think they mean something other than just every day surfing the web such as search.
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Refugee

It's not "the content you give Google", but "you give Google the license". Think a comma before "you give Google". They seem to mean 'anything that passes through this browser'.

For example, anything you type into the location/search box gets sent to Google (for 'suggestion completion'). Who knows what else is in store when it comes to passing on information on what passes through the browser process(es).
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Refugee

By the way, here is an analysis of Google's EULA:

http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_P...e_s_EULA_Sucks

Note: "There is nothing which leads me to believe that the present day 3-term BSD license requires anyone to use Chrome's license, so this notion that we can recompile to avoid the EULA may actually have some merit."

Last edited by DutchDaemon; 3rd September 2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 3rd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

But they all do that now so I don't see what the difference is except it keeps mentioning the "services" and "content". I was told this is the same EULA used in Google Docs and elsewhere so I still think it's a cover-your-butt legalese for when they use this for items submitted to the web, for example YouTube.

Not that I know. Matt Cutt's blog (he's The Google Guy) has two posts about people who are paranoid and he says they're not collecting anything. Google for him cause I don't have the link.

EDIT: Well, I just can't leave that loose.
Common Questions
For the paranoid
Quote:
If you’re just surfing around the web and clicking on links, that information does not go to google.com.

- If you are typing a search or url in the address bar, Google Chrome will talk to the current search service to try to offer useful query/url suggestions.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 3rd September 2008 at 08:06 PM.