DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2008
FreeBSD baby

Default Set speed limit for ports download

Hi all,

I want to set some kind of download speed limit when I'm installing ports, I think that it uses fetch to retrieve files from internet, so I think that there is way. I'm needing this because I'm downloading files from work, and the other employer have troubles using net because I occupy most of bandwidth... Is there anyway to do this, I already searched internet for some kind of solution, but I have not found anything useful...

Regards,
pax
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Hi all,

I want to set some kind of download speed limit when I'm installing ports, I think that it uses fetch to retrieve files from internet, so I think that there is way. I'm needing this because I'm downloading files from work, and the other employer have troubles using net because I occupy most of bandwidth... Is there anyway to do this, I already searched internet for some kind of solution, but I have not found anything useful...
I used wget when I had a need to limit my port-source download rate. install the ftp/wget port and then put this in /etc/make.conf:

Code:
FETCH_BINARY=/usr/local/bin/wget
FETCH_ARGS="-t 1 -c --limit-rate=10k"
adjust the "10k" to the desired download rate in kiloBYTES per second. that should preserve most of fetch's ports behaviour (keep partial files, no excessive retries).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2008
FreeBSD baby

Thank you very much, I didn't even know that there is way to change fetch with wget, I'm old wget user so this is great information for me

Regards,
pax