DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Default Autostart Xfce

I run Xfce 4.4.2, whatever the latest is. On Debian, I used GDM to start Xfce, which I didn't like. On Gentoo, I used my /etc/conf.d/local file (I think, been a while) to start Xfce by running a command with su as my normal user. Then, I eventually started using Slim. I liked the first method better, but I'd like to change it up a bit. Is there a way for me to login first in the text interface and then once I've done so automatically run startxfce4 to start Xfce?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

echo "/usr/local/bin/startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc

or are you trying to avoid having to do startx?

Last edited by chill; 13th June 2008 at 10:27 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th June 2008
Spam Deminer

I'm trying to avoid doing that. I know how to do that.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th June 2008
Arp Constable

That's what ~/.xinitrc is designed for, putting it in your shells RC file instead wouldn't make a great bit of sense would it?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2008
Administrator

put that into your startup shell file ( ~/.profile / ~/.zshrc / ~/.bash+profile )
Code:
# start X11 after login on /dev/ttyv0 terminal
if [ $( tty ) = "/dev/ttyv0" ]; then
  nohup xinit -- -nolisten tcp -br -tst dpms nologo -xinerama -dpi 75 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi
With startxfce in ~/.xinitrc after you login on 1st virtual console XFCE will start automatically.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2008
lieutenant

Thanks for the tip
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Thanks, vermaden. That's similar to what I was using on Gentoo, but different nonetheless.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
put that into your startup shell file ( ~/.profile / ~/.zshrc / ~/.bash+profile )
Code:
# start X11 after login on /dev/ttyv0 terminal
if [ $( tty ) = "/dev/ttyv0" ]; then
  nohup xinit -- -nolisten tcp -br -tst dpms nologo -xinerama -dpi 75 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi
With startxfce in ~/.xinitrc after you login on 1st virtual console XFCE will start automatically.
why do you need that big long command. cant you just use startx in between the if statement? if your xorg.conf is correct then shouldnt most of that be set (ie. xinerama, nologo)?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errinok View Post
why do you need that big long command. cant you just use startx in between the if statement? if your xorg.conf is correct then shouldnt most of that be set (ie. xinerama, nologo)?
Some of these options work only from command line, like -dpi for example, you can specify DPI with nvidia driver but if you do the same with other then nvidia driver in xorg.conf it just do not work.

As I already had toadd CLI options I do not bothered in searching xorg.conf equivalents of these.

The nohup ${COMMAND} > /dev/null 2>&1 & is to start a process in background without nailing it ti this console (nohup) so you may CTRL-D safely on this terminal without killing X11.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd