DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2008
Port Guard

Default What is the status of KDE4?

s it more stable now?

I tried out the kde4 remix of kubuntu as soon as it launched, and I was not satisfied (as many others were not as well) with feature-set nor stability

Have those problems been addressed? I heard 4.1.x has been launched

Also, I want to test it in FREEBSD

but BUT BUT

How has kde4 been for you? Have you played with it recently? Used it day-to-day?

Do you think I should try it out? I need a relatively stable desktop, but I want to run the cleanest stuff...And I think that KDE4 was likely re-written to be cleaner/faster...and I'm not programmer mind you. But isn't it smoother? Better integrated? Or am I way off base here?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2008
Spam Deminer

I use it day-to-day all the time. Installed straight from the ports tree without any problems, and quite happy with the environment.

Adam
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2008
Port Guard

any big issues? did it "just work" how is the feature set / stability?

how "snappy" is it?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2008
Spam Deminer

No big issues what-so-ever. I did have to reconfigure various preferences that I had setup in KDE3, but that's to be expected.

I have had one or two crashes when disabling kwin's built in compositor, but that's likely an issue with the driver. It also sometimes happens if I switch from compiz to another window manager.

It feels quite snappy here on a radeon x1300 and x1950.

Adam
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Coffee Addict

Currently there are issues with nVidia cards using the composting features of KDE4. This is a driver issue that is being worked on by nVidia. I have found KDE4 to be simply unusable with the compositing enabled with my nVidia card. The desktop is extremely slow even for simple things like minimizing a window. With compositing turned off, things work pretty smooth.

As far as stability goes, I haven't noticed too much trouble in the short amount of time I have used it.

There is also a bug in KDE4 that won't allow you to unmount or eject CDs.

As a long-time KDE user (and fanboy), I am sticking with KDE3 for now. I have KDE4 installed for messing around with and making ports, but for my day-to-day stuff...it's KDE3. There are too many good apps that still depend on KDE3 libs anyways like amarok, k3b, and kmymoney.

I am also disappointed in the lack of configurability of the plasma panel compared to kicker. Some of the things I don't like can be resolved by third party apps like the lack of a "QuickLauncher" applet. But, I still can't get tasks to appear in 2 or more rows.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk View Post
No big issues what-so-ever. I did have to reconfigure various preferences that I had setup in KDE3, but that's to be expected.

I have had one or two crashes when[bold] disabling kwin's built in compositor[/bold], but that's likely an issue with the driver. It also sometimes happens if I switch from compiz to another window manager.

It feels quite snappy here on a radeon x1300 and x1950.

Adam
How do I go about doing this on PC-BSD?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Spam Deminer

No idea :-) I've never used PC-BSD.

Adam
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDKaffee View Post
There is also a bug in KDE4 that won't allow you to unmount or eject CDs.
Haven't noticed that one. I've been reading and writing CDs for about a month now in KDE 4.1 without any "can't eject" issues.

Quote:
I am also disappointed in the lack of configurability of the plasma panel compared to kicker.
Yes, this is something I really dislike as well. I can't get my preferred setup to work with Plasma: main bar across top of screen with app menu on left, quick launcher in the middle, and systray on the right. There's no quick launcher available, and the stupid systray takes up two-thirds of the bar instead of staying on the left. At least the taskbar at the bottom works.

Quote:
Some of the things I don't like can be resolved by third party apps like the lack of a "QuickLauncher" applet.
What quicklauncher is this? Where'd you find it? How do you install it?

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubrgamer View Post
s it more stable now?
KDE 4.1 is very usable as a desktop. Most of the apps from KDE3 are available, although not yet all of them (KOffice, Amarok, Kontact, KTorrent). But, using KDE3 apps in a KDE4 desktop works fine.

Quote:
I tried out the kde4 remix of kubuntu as soon as it launched, and I was not satisfied (as many others were not as well) with feature-set nor stability
Kubuntu < 8.10 is not a very good KDE4 distro. OpenSuSE is a better KDE distro.

Quote:
Also, I want to test it in FREEBSD
Works fine on FreeBSD. There's a handy port for installing it, although it will take awhile to compile. Not nearly as long as KDE3, though. Works quite nicely. Have been using it on my desktop at home since it hit the ports tree, updated to KDE 4.1.1 when that hit the ports tree.

It does take a while to get configured the way you want. But once configured, it nicely stays out of your way.

Old 23rd September 2008
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Haven't noticed that one. I've been reading and writing CDs for about a month now in KDE 4.1 without any "can't eject" issues.
If I mount a CD though HAL and try to unmount it in Dolphin it will look like it worked, but it stays mounted. It will unmount through the Kickoff menu, but it still will not eject. Looks like I'm not the only one:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-fr...st/003334.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
What quicklauncher is this? Where'd you find it? How do you install it?
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=78061
I'm working on a port for it and it's pretty much done. I intend it to be deskutils/plasma-applet-quicklauncher. I just have to test it some more and submit it. I've attached it if you'd like to give it a go. The applet will be blank when you add it to the panel, but you can just drag and drop your favorite apps right into it like the old one.

Edit: I've removed the attachment as it was not really up-to-par. The port has been submitted, however: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=127957

Last edited by BSDKaffee; 10th October 2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 24th September 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDKaffee View Post
If I mount a CD though HAL and try to unmount it in Dolphin it will look like it worked, but it stays mounted. It will unmount through the Kickoff menu, but it still will not eject. Looks like I'm not the only one:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-fr...st/003334.html
Ah, that's the difference. I haven't configured the system to use HAL/DBus/PolicyKit/mumbo-jumbo/yadd-yadda. Still using devd and mount commands from konsole.

Quote:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=78061
I'm working on a port for it and it's pretty much done. I intend it to be deskutils/plasma-applet-quicklauncher. I just have to test it some more and submit it. I've attached it if you'd like to give it a go. The applet will be blank when you add it to the panel, but you can just drag and drop your favorite apps right into it like the old one.
Ah, that is the one I was looking at before. Never got it to work, but didn't put any more effort than "cmake" into getting it to work. Was hoping someone would get around to porting it. I'll give this a try in a bit and see how it works. Thanks.