DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 26th August 2009
Banned

As I have also stated earlier in this post, a small battery operated clock/timer is in your system.. and it ticks even when the mains power is off.

If this battery is dead or dying, it will either be wrong or very inaccurate.. slight irregularities and drifting are common for even a fully charged battery, hence the purpose of a time server.

It is also possible that the time was incorrectly set in the BIOS configuration panel, or by another operating system.. prior to installing OpenBSD.

And it could also be innocent.. the clock in question.. called the RTC.. was originally supposed to be set to UTC time, but many set it to local time to avoid a bug in DOS/Windows.
Old 26th August 2009
Shell Scout

My system is running virtualized and thus does not have physical hardware of its own (no battery).

However I suppose it is still possible there is some sort of virtual misconfiguration since there technically is still a BIOS that loads...etc.

I will investigate that when I have physical access.

Thanks
Old 26th August 2009
Banned

You should have told us this was an emulated environment.. timing related issues are very common, the hardware-assisted kernel timer doesn't operate at a rate fast enough to keep the emulated timer very accurate.
Old 26th August 2009
More noise than signal

Run your ntpd server on an OS running on physical hardware. Remove it from the virtual machine. (Any OS will do, even Windows.)

Expect any virtual machine to have time-of-day clock problems. Different VM engines manage clocking in different ways.

If you wish help with your VM engine's clocking, take that question to their support and/or community forums.
Old 9th September 2009
Shell Scout

Hi all,

I just wanted to confirm/update on the status. I've been playing around and watching how the time setting is going. I've moved the NTP server to another machine, off of the VM, and it would appear all is working properly now. The clocks are getting adjusted but seem to say the correct time consistantly now.

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.