DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Print on remote WinXP from web host

I have a guy with a XP computer that runs a POS cash register. He also has an online website where he wants to take online orders. When the online order is completed, it would be great if we could send the completed form to the XP computer to print the order on its printer but I don't immediately know of a way to do that.

The host will open up a port for me to send on but I don't think I can install anything there since it's a shared host. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with that?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2008
Administrator

How about wrapping the order in an email message, either in-line or as attachment, which the Win XP client will retrieve.

Or let the Win XP client scp (using PuTTY, the Windows SSH suite) the orders from the host.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

samba can allow you to print to a windows print server, as can cups. Most Point-Of-Sale printers understand plain text, too. Just make sure the printer has a windows print driver installed, share the printer, and select and configure your print mechanism on *BSD. When it is all done, 'cat file | lpr -p POSprinter' or 'lpr file' should print it.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I can't use Samba or CUPS. It's not available and I can't have it installed.

I thought of the email idea but how would Windows automatically detect, download and print it?

I didn't think of the PuTTy idea. According to their FAQ, I want to use Plink. But then I'd have to ssh with my one and only userid/password.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
But then I'd have to ssh with my one and only userid/password.
Public key authentication needs no password
See http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758

You only have to keep in mind that PuTTY has a different format for the public key. There is a conversion utility that converts the key to the 'official' OpenSSH format.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
I thought of the email idea but how would Windows automatically detect, download and print it?
One way, if the client is Outlook you can set up a Rule that automatically prints a incoming email based on the Subject, or from or what ever. I don't know if that is available in Outlook express.