DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st July 2009
New User

Default PLEASE HELP SAVE BSD MAGAZINE

You all may remember the unfortunate demise of TUX Magazine due to a non-interest in business advertising. Well... it isn't everyday that we BSD users have our own magazine - and a fine one at that.

If you haven't picked up a copy of BSD Magazine from your local retailer - why not? It is a certain way of showing support not only for BSD but for the global business community choosing to stand behind our choice.

BSD Magazine is in dire straits. Like TUX, BSD Magazine is not making the sales figures it needs to survive.

The Editor has contacted me imploring me to get this message out - in an attempt at making one last stand to save the magazine.

WE CAN DO IT!!

Please consider purchasing a copy (or two) at your local retailer - available at Borders and Barnes & Noble bookstores nationwide.

For more information about BSD magazine google BSD magazine.

Please help to get this message out. It's not everyday we have a magazine dedicated and devoted just to BSD users. Let's not allow to happen to BSD magazine what happened to TUX.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st July 2009
Port Guard

no we cant.
if no one is wanting it - clients, then it shoudn't be maintained.
i heard strange things about that magazine - something about delayied with monts purchased volumes.
and most interesting - why magazine? how about mail lists and blog to organize and summarize this month?

p.s. first time poster with such request, speaks allot or is just me?

Last edited by arch; 1st July 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: ps, spell, blah
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st July 2009
Administrator

I wrote an article for the latest issue of the BSD Magazine (about CPU Scaling), and I would also want to do something to save that magazine, its the only BSD magazine, I think that we should do something to not lose it.

I added info to DA also: http://vermaden.deviantart.com/art/B...zine-127905316

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st July 2009
Arp Constable

I would buy a 10 year subscription (if the magazine was likely to live that long), but can't spare funds just to buy 1 issue lol.

Sorry.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st July 2009
Banned

This is not really a priority, people wanting to help the BSD projects should just donate directly.. either by monetary means, or by sending developers hardware.

I've never read an issue of "BSD Magazine", their website is very unintuitive.. never did get my copy of that issue they announced was free.

No words of praise from me today, I'm in a gloomy mood.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2009
Administrator

@BSDfan666

I was able to get the OpenBSD Issue , I uploaded it here if you wish to check it: OpenBSD in the Limelight.pdf

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2009
Port Guard

I had a one year subscription for the paper version, and must say I am very pleased with the magazine. The quality of the articles is high, and so is the appearance of the magazine. I just renewed my subscription for two more years.

Of course I also donate to the Foundation, but I think it is also good to have a magazine like this on a sales stand, because it may lead to new people becoming aware of the fantastic BSD-systems.

@vermaden: Looking forward to reading your article!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverreh View Post
@vermaden: Looking forward to reading your article!
Share your thoughts after reading

#9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2009
New User

Btw. There is a free copy of BSD Magazine available to download from their webpage under downloads.

I'm relatively new to BSD, was surfing online and came across it. Really enjoyed it.
Take care!
Old 24th August 2009
Package Pilot

Actually there are three free issues, and a few articles.

http://bsdmag.org/prt/view/pdf-articles.html
Old 24th August 2009
Fdisk Soldier

The mag was a good idea but the forum failed, that's for sure.
New User

You know that if you buy the current issue of BSD: 3/2009 (5), scan the receipt and send to editors@bsdmag.org you will get archives of Linux+ magazine and BSD magazine? And 30% off for a subscription if you want. So buy one magazine = get loads of magazines.
Peace!
Old 27th August 2009
Banned

Seems like more and more "New Users" keep joining to spread the word about BSD Magazine and their "Super Duper" offers.

I don't think this is the place for 3am infomercials.
Old 27th August 2009
Port Guard

Ordered a one year subscription 5 weeks ago. Payed the amount but I haven't received the magazine yet. Sent 4 emails to the subscriptions address and every time they promise me that they have sent the mag...
Old 27th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy66 View Post
Ordered a one year subscription 5 weeks ago. Payed the amount but I haven't received the magazine yet. Sent 4 emails to the subscriptions address and every time they promise me that they have sent the mag...
Interesting. I ordered a number of back issues in January, & never heard boo afterwards.

Tags
bsd magazine