DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Arp Constable

Default Google Waves loong video

http://wave.google.com/help/wave/about.html#video

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

rfc822 will kick google wave's ass any day of the week.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th October 2009
Custom Title Maker

RFC977 could do the same.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th October 2009
Arp Constable

USENET has not faired as well as IRC these past 20+ years.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2009
Custom Title Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
USENET has not faired as well as IRC these past 20+ years.
I might disagree, since I've used it up until I switched to Verizon FIOS last year. Regardless, no one mentioned RFC 1459 (yet). Besides, you can always set up your own NNTP server. Same with IRC and SMTP, I guess.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2009
Arp Constable

And the same will be said of this new toy, I hope :-P.

There's nothing stopping people from setting up their own servers, aside from their ISPs on occasion; but in the end it boils down to users and interoperability. Privately hosted forums and mailing lists have taken out a large portion of what, would likely have ended up on USENET or a local BBS.

I have an e-mail address and can e-mail any other person on earth who has a reachable e-mail address. Why shouldn't instant messengering and related services become likewise? Interoperability between XMPP, MSNP, OSCAR, TOC2, YMSG, and SIMPLE/SIP is somewhat of a mega-bitch and a half.

#7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2009
Custom Title Maker

TerryP, I agree that IM interoperability can and should be implemented. You cite e-mail, which is a good example; back when electronic mail first came about, there were several different implementations of it, and it took gateways to move them from one system to another. I remember typing in a "%" symbol between the destination username and hostname, as well as the routing info. This was going from the University of Pittsburgh, through Carnegie Mellon, to Penn State, IIRC. (Wow, 20+ years sure does cloud the memory. :-D)

Anyway, my point is that until some group comes up with a standard, or a de-facto standard emerges for the various IM protocols, we'll be stuck with several different clients that don't "talk to each other."
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2009
Banned

IM interoperability is a commendable goal, but given that the majority of people could care less about it.. I find it rather unlikely.

I am trying to transition more to Jabber/XMPP, but so far the server implementations leave much to be desired.. you either jabberd1 or 2 (..separate projects, both active) with unmaintained 3rd party protocol transports or you have Java/Erlang implementations, which is not an option for someone trying to maintain a minimal footprint.. even the protocol itself is rather bulky and unoptimized, every message you send over XMPP is actually sent twice due to overhead (..and not every server supports TLS/SSL so it's not fun over low bandwidth/high latency connections).

One protocol I hear is becoming common, SIP.. but I haven't read much about that, seems related to VoIP (..which I've been avoiding).
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2009
Arp Constable

In that regard BSDfan, the only solution that I've thought of is using a daemon that connects via libpurple, and a client that connects to the daemon in a screen like fashion. With a few potential hacks, XMPP would probably be the best commu between client and daemon.

Old 18th December 2009
Port Guard

I been using Google Wave for abit now, kind of on and off with some friends to plan out things (World of Warcraft guild stuff and some other projects).

It seem like a good idea and its nice when you are working with other people but for just chatting gchat(or Jabber/XMPP) seem better then making a new wave. A wave is kind of over kill to just say "Hi, whats up?".

There still alot of work that can do to make Wave better. it seem like there plan is to have wave be one place you can go and have info come in to you, no need to go to Twitter/identi.ca or facebook or any other site, info will come to you by a wave.

I do have about 15 invites if anyone wants to give it a try. Just PM me with a e-mail to send the invite to.