DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Default Mysql-server adventures in 4.3

I've tried to successfully install mysql-server on a 4.3 installation, and while at this point, it seems to be working, it wasn't without some head-scratching. The point of this post is to see if anyone else has experienced what I've gone through. Namely-

1) Packages curiosity-
For me, running a "pkg_info -Q mysql" didn't show the mysql-server application itself, despite it being listed in the packages page for i386 on the openbsd.org site. Even when adding the package path as the two paths referenced on the site, I still can't see it with pkg_info.

I was able obviously to copy the .gz file from each site referenced on the website, and do a slightly 'successful' installation of mysql-server, but it's weird that I couldn't see it on a pkg_info -Q command.

And that leads me to my next conundrum...

2) msql-bin.index issue
once 'installed', one is directed to run the " /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db" included on the package installation, which installs the base mysql table and gives further instructions to setup the server. When running it, I came across

/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: File './mysql-bin.index' not found (Errcode: 13)

I tried placing this mysql-bin.index in various directories I thought that mysqld was referencing (including the usual "/var/mysql" directory, where it's supposed to be) with no luck. I followed a googled suggestion from the mysql forum that directed me to confirm ownership and permissions, and still got the same error.

Out of frustration, I even uninstalled the package, downloaded the application from mysql itself and compiled it (and, as expected, it took forever.) Sadly, even on the compiled version, I got the same error.

The only thing that got me past this was something a little murky and quirky. I did a 'make uninstall' on the compiled version (but left many files hanging around because I didn't "make clean") and then did a pkg_add of the pre-compiled version all over again... and finally I could run the mysql_install_db script successfully.

I thought my problems were odd, but over... nope.

3) misplacement of proper support files
Perhaps one of the more important scripts, mysqladmin, was not where it's supposed to be (/usr/local/bin)... so I was lucky that I didn't do a 'make clean' on the compiled version I uninstalled... mysqladmin is still located in that downloaded, untarred installation tree. I can run it from there, but of course, it's not the optimal setup.

Again, I'm just chronicling all of this in case anyone else has experienced anything similar... so, anyone?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
Port Guard

hrmm..I havent had any of those issues, mysql just went straight on, everything in its place.

out of curiousity I ran pkg_info -Q mysql to see what I got. nothing unusual there either:
Code:
$ sudo pkg_info -Q mysql
courier-authlib-mysql-0.58p1
freeradius-mysql-2.0.1
mod_auth_mysql-3.2p2
mysql++-2.0.6p3
mysql++-docs-2.0.6
mysql-administrator-1.2.12p0
mysql-client-5.0.51a (installed)
mysql-gui-common-5.0.6.1r12
mysql-query-browser-1.2.12p3
mysql-server-5.0.51a (installed)
mysql-tests-5.0.51a
mysql2pgsql-20010320
mysqlcc-0.9.4p2
nagios-plugins-mysql-1.4.11
p5-Class-DBI-mysql-1.00p0
p5-DBD-mysql-4.005 (installed)
p5-DBD-mysqlPP-0.04
p5-DateTime-Format-MySQL-0.04
p5-Net-MySQL-0.09p1
p5-Time-Piece-MySQL-0.05
perdition-mysql-1.17
php5-mysql-5.2.5
php5-mysqli-5.2.5
php5-pdo_mysql-5.2.5
prelude-libpreludedb-mysql-0.9.13p0
py-mysql-1.2.2p1
qt3-mysql-3.8
qt4-mysql-4.3.3
ruby-mysql-2.7.4p0
xmysql-1.10
Your OpenBSD install wasnt iffy?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
...I even uninstalled the package, downloaded the application from mysql itself and compiled it (and, as expected, it took forever.)
At this point, you have left the realm of OpenBSD ports & packages & have entered the wild where you are taking on the responsibility of porting the overall application yourself. The primary issues are:
  • Does the filesystem layout match what OpenBSD specifies in hier(7)? Note that the Linux world uses a different hierarchy.
  • Do the dependent libraries match? If they don't, you implicitly are taking on the responsibility of porting any missing infrastructure yourself.
My suggestion is to contact the port maintainer found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/4.3_packages/....tgz-long.html

...& inquire to him.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Gentlemen, as oddly as the problem presented itself, it has resolved itself... I uninstalled both the package and the compiled version (as well as mysql-client.) Then I did a pkg_info -Q mysql and, voila, now the server is present... installed that and mysql-client and it's happy times again.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the problem was. I should've at the least seen the package as available to install, much less have the package install correctly. But it's working now, as it predictably should, and I'm happy.

Thanks for your attention on this.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Gentlemen, as oddly as the problem presented itself, it has resolved itself...
Several days back, there was a package replication error which rippled throughout the mirror hierarchy which was due to the master build machine rebooting in the middle of updating packages on the primary site. My understanding was that this only affected -current packages, but I didn't investigate it past attempting to understand why I was seeing weirdnesses in my situation. Whether this in any way is related to what you experienced is another question.

FWIW.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2008
Spam Deminer

You know I wouldn't doubt it's related... not sure if it affected the files themselves (though I suppose anything's possible), but definitely in terms of seeing the packages via "pkg_info -Q"...
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
You know I wouldn't doubt it's related...
Actually, I would expect a difference as -current packages will frequently change. Packages for -release should only change near release time. In manually checking the main ftp site, 4.3-release packages are all dated 14 March.