DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Security

FreeBSD Security Securing FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
New User

Default DDOS and pf

Hi,

I'm facing a DDOS on one of my servers that hosts few websites, If I implement synproxy on PF, could this solve the problem and decrease DDOS?
Like I want to put OpenBSD or FreeBSD with two network interfaces and do nating from the OpenBSD or FreeBSD to the server hosts my websites.

Regards,
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
Tcpdump Spy

You can use pf's overload feature, see the pf.conf(5) and the PF user's guide for documentation & examples.

Quote:
Like I want to put OpenBSD or FreeBSD with two network interfaces and do nating from the OpenBSD or FreeBSD to the server hosts my websites.
So you want to add a router in front of your webserver? Why not just run pf on your webserver?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
New User

Because I have already a configured server hosts my website, would OpenBSD and FreeBSD solve the problem of DDOS. Please I want your recommendation if you ever experienced the problem before.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Right, your webserver is not a FreeBSD/OpenBSD system? Which OS are you using? You may want to use that system's firewall.

Adding a new FreeBSD or OpenBSD router would also be possible, and the effects would be the same except that you would draw more power

As mentioned above, pf ("The OpenBSD Packet Filter", also available on FreeBSD) has several options (overload, max-src-nodes, max-src-conn, max-src-conn-rate) which can be used to limit the maximum amount connections one host can make.
The documentation mentioned before has more specific documentation as well as some examples.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
New User

Its Linux CentOS, I want to get my websites up and running, so If pf could offer this I'd use it.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
Tcpdump Spy

For this task, I would recommend OpenBSD. It is secure, very stable, fairly easy, and uses a KISS "it just works" approach.
FreeBSD will also work fine.
Personal preferences and opinions on this subject may vary though, coming from Linux I'm sure you're familiar with the "My foo is better than your bar" type of discussions

The OpenBSD FAQ is an extremely valuable resource for people new to the system: http://openbsd.org/faq/index.html

As is the PF user's gude: http://openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci3ntist View Post
Its Linux CentOS, I want to get my websites up and running, so If pf could offer this I'd use it.
If you have WHM, the ConfigServer firewall is good. It blocks bad IPs from brute force, port scans and the like, but I'm not sure about DDoS. I would give that a try if you aren't using it now.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
Administrator

Even if you block the packets, they still arrive on your interface and block your internet pipe.

Talk to your webhosting company, give them the offending IP addresses and/or logs. They can do something against it.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2010
Banned

Exactly as said by J65nko, blocking packets simply means the kernel will ignore them and not process them further.. but they are still on the wire, and can potentially impact performance.

You must contact your hosting provider or ISP, on a case-by-case basis.. it's no easy job.
Old 6th June 2010
New User

Yes, I understand this, but the hosting company couldn't do anything.
They said that they didn't have enough experience in that field.
Old 31st December 2010
New User

Default What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Even if you block the packets, they still arrive on your interface and block your internet pipe.

Talk to your webhosting company, give them the offending IP addresses and/or logs. They can do something against it.
You mention the hosting company can do something about it...

Are you referring to the establishment of a pf/bridge with max/src/conn further "up the line" that prevents the offenders/packets from ever reaching the server's domains?

Logically, this only moves the "clog" in the pipe up the line, unless I'm missing something. If the offender is persistent, block/drop of their packets is great, but it could be a constant event... like a wikileaks 20G DDOS event, right?