DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th September 2019
parrot

Default Website inaccessible using IPad

Do we have anyone here that has and uses a IPAD ? The reason I am asking is because my brother says he could not access my website, says he is using a Ipad.
So any way, I am wondering if anyone else with a Ipad would be willing to try, and see if they also have trouble ? I am not sure what browser he is using, just now found out he could not connect. The website is the same as in my signature, but for some videos I uploaded so he could download them: Edited (link removed)
Thanks,

Last edited by PapaParrot; 16th September 2019 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Decided to use You tube, no need for the link
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2019
More noise than signal

Garry, while I don't have an iPad, I do have some comments about your problem report. It lacks a lot of information which might have been helpful.

The client

• You didn't mention what symptoms your brother actually had, such as error message, browser timeout message, or a "hung" browser.
  • You didn't mention which version of iOS your brother's iPad is running.
  • You didn't mention which browser was being used, and which version.
The server
  • You didn't mention which version of the OS you are using.
  • You didn't mention which webserver software (and version, if applicable) you are using. I can see that it's nginx, but not which version.
  • You didn't mention if you were redirecting to https. I can see that you aren't.
But ... did you ever stop to think that you're pointing everyone -- including your brother -- at a 659 MB file? THAT may be your actual problem.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2019
parrot

Thanks, yes, I know there is a huge lack of details, the first ones, I don't know, because he (my brother) has not told me,...I have sent him a e-mail asking about those things,
Quote:
You didn't mention which version of the OS you are using.
On the server, it is OpenBsd, it is a older version... 6.1,
nginx version: nginx/1.10.2 ----
Quote:
But ... did you ever stop to think that you're pointing everyone -- including your brother -- at a 659 MB file? THAT may be your actual problem.
Ok, well it appears you were able to access, or you would not have known the size, no it did not occur to me that this would be a problem for a Ipad, and I did not expect or ask that anyone actually download it, just wondered if they can access, Should I remove the file name, or the link that points to it ? Is that a problem ? If it is I will remove it.
For a better description, for readers, the link goes to a directory, lists all the images and files, in that directory, including the file name of the compressed videos.
I do think you have a good point on the size issue, and maybe it would be better to just have the 3 videos, each as a separate files, 2 are not very big, 1 is about 300 mb, maybe that is still to big ?
Any way, thanks for taking a look and the feed back.
===
Now thinking about it more, I think maybe the best solution for me will be to put them on youtube, or some other video storage/share site, my server is not at all set up for video's, and is not intended for that. Thanks
======== edit ====
Silly me, should have thought of this before, but any way Youtube will be fine for this.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 16th September 2019 at 02:51 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2019
More noise than signal

Consider maintaining your systems, especially those exposed directly to the Internet.
Quote:
On the server, it is OpenBsd, it is a older version... 6.1,
nginx version: nginx/1.10.2 ----
There have been 131 security, reliability, and availability patches to the OS since 6.1 was published. Support ended for OpenBSD 6.1 on April 15, 2018 with the release of OpenBSD 6.3.

Consider your webserver software, too:
  1. There was a -stable port of nginx for 6.1 published on October 9, 2017: an update to version 1.12.1 for CVE-2017-7529.
  2. Support for 6.1 packages ended on October 9, 2017 with the release of OpenBSD 6.2. There have been nine (9) additional nginx CVEs specifically addressed by name in the CVS update logs for the port/package since support ended.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2019
parrot

Ok, thanks