DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

Old 7th January 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
I understand that NSA employs a lot of mathematicians, so maybe they have it,
The whole field of cryptography relies on P vs NP hypothesis which is just that a hypothesis. It is not a theorem. Nobody has ever published a proof. If you have the proof let me know as I know some competent referees and you will get a Fields Medal if you are younger than 40 of course

Let me tell you in plain English what I just said. Any known crypto algorithm for all we know is computationally expensive because it involves some operations which we believe are computationally expensive operations like discrete log (that is a baby example use by Diffie Hellman) or factorization of numbers into prime factors. The key word here is believe . If that sounds more like a religion than mathematics you are right. It is a religion. Sometime new mathematics is discovered which enable us to do certain operations faster. For example about 5-6 ago two undergraduate students and their adviser in India (they ended up at Harvard) discovered prime factorization method which improved the speed by the order of magnitude. That basically meant that all crypto algorithms using prime factorization become order of magnitude weaker over the night. That is why relying on religion not on proved theorems is a futile business.

Long story short NSA does employ lots of mathematicians. However I would argue that the greatest ground braking results still come from academia and are essentially freely dissemination. I am having hard time to see any NSA mathematician who knows an order of magnitude more number theory than my colleagues (I do dynamical systems).

Last edited by Oko; 7th January 2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 7th January 2016
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
they used bcrypt rather than AES for their cipher.
AES and bcrypt are both used in cryptography, but they have significantly different purpose. Worth to note is that commonly used nowadays symmetric keys algorithms are believed to be significantly stronger that commonly used nowadays asymmetric keys algorithms.
I think it is not good to even try to compare bcrypt and AES, because they are for different purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
they used bcrypt rather than AES for their cipher.

My point to all of this? I'm trying to support Bruce's thesis: ciphers can be mathematically inspected. Software has bugs. Our deployments can have mistakes.
I still think that Bruce's tried to say that software has bugs and conclusion is that it is easier to pwn computer system than to decrypt file encrypted using commonly used tools such as GnuPG. And pwning of computer system is easier, because there is a lot of bugs in their code. I also have read some slides from Snowden and sometimes I was reading some explanations of how works particular exploit and other presentations about that. This knowledge also made me to believe, that breaking to any publicly used (both commercial and FOSS) operating system is just a matter of time and resources.
Of course some systems are still relatively more secure (of less insecure) than others and this is one of the reasons I use OpenBSD.
I also think that users should pay more attention to security of theirs computers/operating systems. Some people deduce IMHO wrong conclusion that if NSA can break into any operating system connected to network used by somebody which they believe is high value target, they should pay no attention to security of their computer system. I really think it is stupid conclusion.
And I think that somebody who is good, professional administrator of network can still secure network not only from script kiddies, but also from usual, civilian groups of blackhats.

@Oko
AFAIK one-time pad (OTP) is proven to be secure. Problem is that it is not commonly used, because it requires really big key, bigger than data you want to encrypt.
Old 7th January 2016
Administrator

Re: bcrypt

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcrypt:

Quote:
bcrypt is a key derivation function for passwords designed by Niels Provos and David Mazières, based on the Blowfish cipher, and presented at USENIX in 1999.[1] Besides incorporating a salt to protect against rainbow table attacks, bcrypt is an adaptive function: over time, the iteration count can be increased to make it slower, so it remains resistant to brute-force search attacks even with increasing computation power.

The bcrypt function is the default password hash algorithm for BSD and other systems including some Linux distributions such as SUSE Linux.[2] The prefix "$2a$" or "$2b$" (or "$2y$") in a hash string in a shadow password file indicates that hash string is a bcrypt hash in modular crypt format.
BTW Niels Provos used to be an OpenBSD developer.
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
I take it you didn't hear about the malware propagated by sound waves then?
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...jumps-airgaps/

Of particular interest from that article:

I hope the item is FUD but...
BadBIOS could be called "cryptocryptography". It is to cryptography what cryptozoology is to zoology. There are only the proverbial "shaky videos", and no credible reports. It's also highly unlikely. I would be considerably surprised if it wasn't hoax.
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
BadBIOS could be called "cryptocryptography". It is to cryptography what cryptozoology is to zoology. There are only the proverbial "shaky videos", and no credible reports. It's also highly unlikely. I would be considerably surprised if it wasn't hoax.
Best analogy ever!
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I am somewhat familiar with those "additional air gapped" computers and I am 100% sure that neither you nor anyone else on this forum (or even people whom you ever meet) have any access to such technology.

Well maybe you should read the article below about a hack conducted by University of Tel Aviv researchers. It was published on February 15th 2016

The research steals data, encryption keys, to be specific, from an air gapped computer.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how...n-another-room

Last edited by jjstorm; 18th February 2016 at 02:37 AM.