Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2015
Snoozing

Default BSDForums nostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
No, I even have things about the RedHat kernel up there--that's like RedHat 6, NOT RHEL6. Most of it I leave, but I really have to go through at some point and mark what's very deprecated. Anyway, to get this back on topic, I do have a couple of Windows 7 VMs around, and one WinXP (as something at work needs something that won't work on Windows 7), but the few times I had to deal with it, I didn't like Windows 8 and 8.x. I've had to do a few things for relatives or friends, and found that I had to google for simple things. For instance, it seems as if you have to have a Microsoft Account to be a user, but that's not the case.
Hey - I have the old Red Hat 6 paperback manual to go with that!

Are you the same Scottro from the old colorado dry-cleaning biz BSD site? That's been sooooo many years ago. I wish there were an archive someplace of that forum's contents.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Yeah, that's been an online name of mine from my first timid forays into the Internet. This site (that is, the one we're one) was actually going to replace that site--the admin of the site got ill, said he'd transfer it to some people, never did, and carpetsmoker started this one up. However, shortly after that, FreeBSD.org started their own forums, so this one become more of a secondary FreeBSD resource, then, as time went on, became more of an OpenBSD forum (though the members here are friendly, and all BSD discussion is welcome.)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons View Post
Hey - I have the old Red Hat 6 paperback manual to go with that!

Are you the same Scottro from the old colorado dry-cleaning biz BSD site? That's been sooooo many years ago. I wish there were an archive someplace of that forum's contents.
Tried just then to find the site (forum ) which I seem to have forgotten the name.
Might be the one referenced above.
... For a while it did not load with a Nginx error
... then it reappeared in an archival-only format
... however it has openbsd, freebsd etc information spanning many topics
and years. (20?? > 2009 IIRC, very approximate.
... for the interests of those reading this thread, someone may recall its
name and post it before I do. If I can find the scrap of paper or the file
while lists its name.

Ran across freebsdforums.org which has snippets of information BSD... but
not of a current nature.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Hrrm, I can't remember the name--I thought it bsdforums.com but I'm not sure.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Found it ... by a hunch: ( had a password to log on! )
forums.bsdnexus.com
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Ah, that was another one. That ran at the same time as the main FreeBSD forums (or BSD forums, as mentioned, I've forgotten) That was a relatively small forum where everyone pretty much knew each other. I don't know what happened to it, exactly, I do remember the main admin had a child and their time became limited.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

I never contributed to bsdnexus.com, just wandered there a few times over the years...I always wondered, too, what happened to it.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
Administrator

This thread has been separated from its parent:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=8919

...as the subject has radically moved from Windows 10 to discussing the predecessor to this site.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Thanks, I was actually beginning to worry about that.
Old 6th December 2015
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Ah, that was another one. That ran at the same time as the main FreeBSD forums (or BSD forums, as mentioned, I've forgotten) That was a relatively small forum where everyone pretty much knew each other. I don't know what happened to it, exactly, I do remember the main admin had a child and their time became limited.
That'll be Wintellect. he's on his fourth kid now ;-)

The BSDNexus forums just "petered out"; it was offline for months last year. I happened to know because I wanted to look something up I once posted there. After some trouble I managed to convince the right people to get it running again; it's now in "read-only" mode...

Some of us still hang out at #bsd on chat.taucher.net btw (me, andre, wintellect, maxlor).
ISO Quartermaster

Wow. Give Wintellect my congrats. And say hi to all for me.
Old 7th December 2015
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post

The BSDNexus forums just "petered out"; it was offline for months last year. I happened to know because I wanted to look something up I once posted there. After some trouble I managed to convince the right people to get it running again; it's now in "read-only" mode...

Some of us still hang out at #bsd on chat.taucher.net btw (me, andre, wintellect, maxlor).
Wow...didn't know that. I think about a 2 years ago I did a wget of the entire BSDNexus just in case it went offline for good. I believe I still have it around but I never got around to converting it...I was planing on making an archive site of the it!
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Wow. Give Wintellect my congrats. And say hi to all for me.
FYI:

Quote:
(15:51:42) wintellect: be nice if scottro came back here - even just to say hi
ISO Quartermaster

Sigh, I have to get my irssi config file together. What time EST (GMT -0500) is everyone usually around.
Old 7th December 2015
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Sigh, I have to get my irssi config file together. What time EST (GMT -0500) is everyone usually around.
Ehm, wintellect and andre usually during working hours UTC, and maxlor in the evening, UTC. 2 Guinness makes me not want to do TZ conversions; sorry :-(
Snoozing

Quote:

Yes - that's the name. Much better than "guy who runs the dry cleaner BSD site."

I remember that forum was very lively. I guess that's how it is when you're (almost) the only game in town. I remember the nexus site too, but didn't hang out there much.

Sorry for derailing the topic. I see you've made a new thread with appropriate title.
Old 9th December 2015
Administrator

It was bsdforums.org. Phoenix and I were moderators there, but we did not have the appropiate administrative powers to deal with spammers there.

The owner of bsdforums.org did not have time himself and/or enough trust in us to give us the administrative privileges to handle the serious spamming issue. He also could not be reached by email. In several emergency situations I had to send a fax to the administrative contact of the "whois" entry. That was the only way to reach him. Actually I never knew his name.

In beginning of 2008 I just bought a new house and was too busy with moving and renovating the new place to start a new forum myself. Phoenix was very busy too.

That is when Carpetsmoker came in the picture. I recommended him the Vbulletin software. My suggestion to use "BSD" in the forum name came too late, he already registered daemonforums.org.

At the same time some people of the FreeBSD project, seeing the value of a forum platform for FreeBSD, were working on an alternative. Because FreeBSD is the most popular of the three BSDs (Free, Open en Net) we, daemonforums.org, lost the majority of the members to their new official FreeBSD only forum. (forums.freebsd.org)

RE: BSDnexus

The BSDnexus people started their forum when bsdforums.org introduced some minor ICT related advertisements. I remember that after some time they lost their first bsdnexus forum contents because of a security issue and had to start al over again.
Marveled user

A fax ? that's weird

I understand you wanted to insert the "BSD" part in the name, but daemonforums is still a good name, just more figurative.

And nowadays, it looks more like an OpenBSD forum...
Old 11th December 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post

I can join #bsd with ircII but not xchat. Web searches are scarce showing how
to setup chat.taucher.net with xchat... or some other GTK2 or tk or motif client
persons using it commonly use...
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_daefo View Post
I can join #bsd with ircII but not xchat. Web searches are scarce showing how
to setup chat.taucher.net with xchat... or some other GTK2 or tk or motif client
persons using it commonly use...
chat.taucher.net is run by Maxlor and is a mini-network of 3 or 4 very small channels. I have no idea why you can't join; I use Pidgin and that had worked for years...