DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Administrator

Thumbs down PDF: Quality of Document Rendering on BSDs

A simple comparision of Evince (epdfview does the same) and Sumatra PDF using WINE (Sumatra PDF is open-source software, but written for Windows platform).

Evince vs. Sumatra | RENDERING

Evince vs. Sumatra | MEMORY USAGE

What is more funny, its more memory efficient to use Sumatra PDF using WINE then Evince natively ... guess whats my new PDF viewer

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/evince/
[2] http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

PS. If You are scared about lack of WINE on amd64, then I have good message for You, these screenshots are from FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 using package by Ivoras available here: http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/wine/

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Sumatra PDF using WINE (Sumatra PDF is open-source software, but written for Windows platform).
That is only partially true. Sumatra PDF rendering libraries are ported to Unix!
mupdf is absolutely the most minimalistic PDF viewer written in pure C which uses the Sumatra PDF rendering libraries. Most OpenBSD people I know of use mupdf, myself included.

Code:
$ uname -a
OpenBSD oko.bagdala2.net 4.8 GENERIC.MP#361 i386
$ pkg_info mupdf
Information for inst:mupdf-0.6p0
Comment:
graphic library, pdf parser, viewer and utilities

Description:
MuPDF is a lightweight PDF viewer and toolkit written in portable C.
Most FreeBSD people I know of use MAC Consequently mupdf port on FreeBSD has been broken for ages. Looks like TeXLive joke all over again. Good thing Hiroki Sato is the Core Team member so he will fix mupdf as soon as he finishes TeXLive port on which he is working since 2001

Last edited by Oko; 10th February 2011 at 05:43 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Banned

Indeed, mupdf is nice for reading the odd book.. doesn't support showing indexes though, so generally I keep epdfview around, xpdf is crap.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Indeed, mupdf is nice for reading the odd book.. doesn't support showing indexes though, so generally I keep epdfview around, xpdf is crap.
Sure neither it does support search or even a print. So somebody needs to sit down and to write more "user friendly" viewer based on Sumatra PDF libraries. But the most important thing is that those libraries are ported. So somebody already did the was the most difficult job
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Banned

mupdf supports search, using vi-like bindings, but it's not perfect.. no such thing exists for PDF readers.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
mupdf supports search, using vi-like bindings, but it's not perfect.. no such thing exists for PDF readers.
That is the new information for me. I have been using mupdf since Stuart ported it to OpenBSD. I need to read man pages again
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
I checked You are not right for version 0.6. Are you suggesting that mupdf version 0.7 which is in 4.9 supports search? You are wrong about the other thing. Xpdf does indeed support search (actually it is called find and it is a binocular icon on the bottom of the reader).
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I checked You are not right for version 0.6. Are you suggesting that mupdf version 0.7 which is in 4.9 supports search? You are wrong about the other thing. Xpdf does indeed support search (actually it is called find and it is a binocular icon on the bottom of the reader).
I wasn't implying that only mupdf supported search, what I meant was there is no such thing as a perfect PDF reader.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Banned

BTW, the issue vermaden is having is a known issue.. mostly about it not antialiasing certain things.

I believe the issue is in poppler/cairo, the library used by epdfview and evince.

On OpenBSD, I don't see the visual distortions.. perhaps something about your specific configuration or the FreeBSD port, what versions do they use?
Old 10th February 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

I just checked and yes indeed the version 0.7 of mupdf DOES support search with key /
That is fantastic! Unfortunately I always end up with installation of xpdf since it is required
by Xfig.
Old 10th February 2011
Port Guard

Thanks for the suggestion of mupdf. It works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oko
Consequently mupdf port on FreeBSD has been broken for ages.
Version 0.7 works perfectly installed straight from FreeBSD ports. So it is definitely not broken. Looking at the commit logs, it seems it was broken for less than a month in September. You must not be very old for that being ages
Old 11th February 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I just checked and yes indeed the version 0.7 of mupdf DOES support search with key /
Unfortunately, the search is currently only within a page, not ahead pages. Mupdf is great but not very useful for long documents yet, because of that and the lack of indexes. But this will improve with time, I suspect. I noticed they changed the keybindings several times, but I’m glad they chose vi‐style in the end.

I also found a memory leak but haven’t gotten around to reporting it yet…

Last edited by backrow; 11th February 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 23rd March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
Unfortunately, the search is currently only within a page, not ahead pages.
Looks like this is no longer the case:

“update mupdf … to 0.8.15. various improvements and fixes, notably now supports AESv3 encrypted PDFs and, very welcome, search now operates over all pages and is thus actually useful.” [1]

Also fixed a memory leak from the previous version. Still got a little bit to go before prime‐time, but I like what I see.
Administrator

Thanks for suggestion on mupdf, seems I may like it since I also use vi a lot, I was also suggested on FreeBSD Forums, that I may have disabled antialiasing in cairo ... do not remember doing that but who knows.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 12th February 2011
Arp Constable

It supports vi keystrokes, it's C, and it's small. OK, if there's a package available for Zenwalk, I think Evince is getting retirement!

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 12th February 2011
UNIX lover

Ewww, so you're on Linux now? ;-)
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
Ewww, so you're on Linux now? ;-)
At least until the FreeBSD Linuxator grows more, or I have time to extend it.

It's also nice to have easy access to more tools, without having to port them. But it seems, Zenwalk doesn't have a package for mupdf :-/.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 13th February 2011
UNIX lover

Just kidding, sometimes I have to use Linux too.

Btw. building packages for Slackware or derived systems is as easy as configure, make DESTDIR ..., makepkg ..., installpkg ;-)
Too dumb for a smartphone

Thanks to all posters on this thread, I've installed epdfview and mupdf on both platforms and they look useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
But it seems, Zenwalk doesn't have a package for mupdf :-/.
Is there any reason you want a package? I compiled the mupdf source on Slackware without incident. Maybe you'll have the same luck on Zenwalk?
Old 23rd March 2011
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
It supports vi keystrokes, it's C, and it's small. OK, if there's a package available for Zenwalk, I think Evince is getting retirement!
Only in 2010 do GUI programs catch up to ksh in its user interface, but where's the option for emacs bindings? Well, I see emacs 23.3 will probably arrive in OpenBSD 5.0, so I can just view my pdfs in that using their pdf viewing support. If only someone would resurrect W3.el, then I could change my last .xsession line from exec cwm to exec emacs.

But what of mg users who abhor the bloat that is emacs? No joy for them, I guess. Maybe they will want my adaptation of poppler that, in the spirit of minimalism, uses the user interface of ed. You'll be pleased to know it's written in C. Sadly, perhaps from emacs's influence on me, it's bloated with a scripting language, however. On the other hand, also in the spirit of minimalism, that scripting language is forth.

Tags
amd64, evince, pdf, sumatra, wine