DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 14th February 2011
Arp Constable

The main reason I favour the availability of a canned package (be it source or binary based), is because the tools can easily tell me when updates are available, and just how far out of date I am. --> As opposed to doing it manually or "when only strictly necessary", in which case I'd use CentOS RPMs.

When I need something, I usually make a package for the OS I'm using, or I install it by hand. I've got a number of things installed into ~/Software.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 14th February 2011
Too dumb for a smartphone

Those are good reasons to use packages. I guess my question was poorly worded. I was just thinking that if the program is of enough interest to retire evince, then installing by hand would likely be easy if there's no package.

In the case of mupdf the install is particularly short, e.g.:

Code:
% make prefix=/usr/local install

install -d /usr/local/bin /usr/local/lib /usr/local/include

install build/debug/pdfshow build/debug/pdfclean build/debug/pdfdraw build/debug/pdfextract build/debug/pdfinfo build/debug/mupdf 
/usr/local/bin

install build/debug/libmupdf.a /usr/local/lib

install fitz/fitz.h mupdf/mupdf.h /usr/local/include
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get it done in the best way available for you.
Old 21st February 2011
Port Guard

For those experimenting with mupdf, a security issue in it has been discovered:

http://secunia.com/advisories/43020/
Old 22nd February 2011
Tcpdump Spy

mupdf works pretty well. Thanks for that tip

Too bad it doesn't support bookmarks/indexes. That's a must-have feature imho.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
mupdf works pretty well.
mupdf is pretty 'dump', its good for text only PDF files, because with documents with large dose of images or even entirely scanned books its painfully slow to skip to next page.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 23rd February 2011
Arp Constable

PDF readers are often slow for some reason, unless it's just my mixture of cheap and aging hardware. Reason I utilize evince, it performs better on my laptop than others I tried.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 23rd March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
Unfortunately, the search is currently only within a page, not ahead pages.
Looks like this is no longer the case:

“update mupdf … to 0.8.15. various improvements and fixes, notably now supports AESv3 encrypted PDFs and, very welcome, search now operates over all pages and is thus actually useful.” [1]

Also fixed a memory leak from the previous version. Still got a little bit to go before prime‐time, but I like what I see.
Banned

The developers of mupdf really intend for it to be used as a library in more full featured readers, I believe the latest version supports a little more than poppler/xpdf now.

A bonus is the fact that it's entirely unrelated to both beyond being an implementation of PDF.

It's a good thing.
Old 23rd March 2011
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
It supports vi keystrokes, it's C, and it's small. OK, if there's a package available for Zenwalk, I think Evince is getting retirement!
Only in 2010 do GUI programs catch up to ksh in its user interface, but where's the option for emacs bindings? Well, I see emacs 23.3 will probably arrive in OpenBSD 5.0, so I can just view my pdfs in that using their pdf viewing support. If only someone would resurrect W3.el, then I could change my last .xsession line from exec cwm to exec emacs.

But what of mg users who abhor the bloat that is emacs? No joy for them, I guess. Maybe they will want my adaptation of poppler that, in the spirit of minimalism, uses the user interface of ed. You'll be pleased to know it's written in C. Sadly, perhaps from emacs's influence on me, it's bloated with a scripting language, however. On the other hand, also in the spirit of minimalism, that scripting language is forth.
Old 28th May 2011
lord of the dark

Default application on bsd.

terrype is 20000 application is not enough for you unless you are a flash developer !!!!!
Old 29th May 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Only in 2010 do GUI programs catch up to ksh in its user interface, but where's the option for emacs bindings? Well, I see emacs 23.3 will probably arrive in OpenBSD 5.0, so I can just view my pdfs in that using their pdf viewing support. If only someone would resurrect W3.el, then I could change my last .xsession line from exec cwm to exec emacs.
Wow, that sounds really useful! Do you happen to know if someone also developed a text editor for emacs?

ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Wow, that sounds really useful! Do you happen to know if someone also developed a text editor for emacs?

Good one
Old 29th May 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:

Epic signature material detected.

Tags
amd64, evince, pdf, sumatra, wine