DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2019
New User

Default System console font size on UEFI systems and how to modify it

I am using a OpenBSD 6.6 x64 (EFI) virtual machine on VirtualBox on Windows. I am having a problem with screen size and font size. I have somehow fixed the former problem by adding machine gop <n> command to /etc/boot.conf. However I was not able to find a solution for reducing the font size. Just to give an idea, here is how it looks:

I have tried reading and applying the instructions from the FAQ. But they did not work, apparently they are for vga only. System messages show the virtual display as efifb, I guess it does not count as a vga device.

Since I am using a 2560x1440 display as my primary monitor, I thought Virtualbox was feeding the VM scaling parameters accordingly so I have also tried playing with Virtualbox's internal settings (custom resolution etc.) but they didn't have an effect either.

By the way, the font size during bootloader startup is fine. It increases after the kernel starts loading. So I am guessing it has something to do with kernel configuration, I have skimmed through manual pages but nothing attracted my attention. Any ideas?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2019
New User

Update: So I have asked the same question on an IRC channel and someone told me that it is currently not possible to change tty font size on efifb. So in case anyone else has the same problem, just so you know there is no solution as of November 2019 other than workarounds such as using BIOS or sshing into the machine from another terminal.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2019
Spam Deminer

I don't think the stance on Innotek/Virtualbox has changed much in 10 or so years:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119318909016582
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120492689515501

So it seems "up to you" to fix it and work around any problems you may encounter.