DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2015
Package Pilot

Default New Regina Rexx port

For those of you interested in the Rexx programming language,
I've been working on a Regina Rexx port for a while.

Regina Rexx is maintained by Mark Hessling author of THE, the Hessling Editor, a clone of IBM's VM/CMS editor.

http://regina-rexx.sourceforge.net/index.html

Attached is a port for version 3.9.1 that runs on both OpenBSD 5.7 and on Bitrig 1.0

Untar it into the /usr/ports/lang directory.

2015-09-08 21:57 UTC: Changed attachment to latest version p2
2015-09-09 16:15 UTC: Changed attachment to version p3
2015-09-11 00:06 UTC Changed attachment to version p4
2016-09-20 19:39 UTC Added attachment for version p5 - works on i386
Attached Files
File Type: tgz regina-rexx-3.9.1-p4.tgz (3.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: gz regina-rexx-3.9.1p5.tar.gz (3.2 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by comet--berkeley; 20th September 2016 at 07:38 PM. Reason: new version p5 - works on 32-bit i386
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2015
More noise than signal

Cool! I haven't used Rexx since the mid to late-80's, and honestly, can recall nothing about it other than I liked it at the time.

I've partially tested the port on a -current amd64 system. My comments:
  • For new ports, use an RCS tag line that contains only
    Code:
    # $OpenBSD$
  • Since the documentation distfiles are not versioned, use a DIST_SUBDIR per Section 2.2.5 of the Porter's Handbook.
  • It fails regression testing (make test), as the underlying object makefiles are missing the check target. I have not investigated the root cause.
  • It fails security testing during fake installation (make USE_SYSTRACE=Yes fake), as you can see from the excerpt from the log below. I have not tried to investigate the root cause, but I assume some patching will be needed to prevent the install step from scribbling where it isn't supposed to.
  • It's a new port, so it does not need REVISION defined.
Here's the output of $ grep systrace regina-rexx-3.9.1p1.log
Code:
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /bin/mkdir, pid: 32168(0)[32356], policy: /usr/bin/env, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /bin/mkdir, pid: 32168(0)[32356], policy: /usr/bin/env, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /bin/mkdir, pid: 32168(0)[32356], policy: /usr/bin/env, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports/pobj
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 28217(0)[3751], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 28217(0)[3751], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 28217(0)[3751], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports/pobj
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 19070(0)[3751], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 19070(0)[3751], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 19070(0)[3751], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports/pobj

Last edited by jggimi; 7th September 2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2015
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Cool! I haven't used Rexx since the mid to late-80's, and honestly, can recall nothing about it other than I liked it at the time.

I've partially tested the port on a -current amd64 system. My comments:
  1. For new ports, use an RCS tag line that contains only
    Code:
    # $OpenBSD$
  2. Since the documentation distfiles are not versioned, use a DIST_SUBDIR per Section 2.2.5 of the Porter's Handbook.
  3. It fails regression testing (make test), as the underlying object makefiles are missing the check target. I have not investigated the root cause.
  4. It fails security testing during fake installation (make USE_SYSTRACE=Yes fake), as you can see from the excerpt from the log below. I have not tried to investigate the root cause, but I assume some patching will be needed to prevent the install step from scribbling where it isn't supposed to.
  5. It's a new port, so it does not need REVISION defined.
Here's the output of $ grep systrace regina-rexx-3.9.1p1.log
Code:
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /bin/mkdir, pid: 32168(0)[32356], policy: /usr/bin/env, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /bin/mkdir, pid: 32168(0)[32356], policy: /usr/bin/env, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports
systrace: deny user: josh, prog: /bin/mkdir, pid: 32168(0)[32356], policy: /usr/bin/env, filters: 249, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/ports/pobj
Thanks for checking it out. I've numbered your points so I can refer to them.

For item 1), ok I will change it.
For 2) The documentation is actually versioned and separate from the regular source code. When the source code was at version 3.9.0 the documentation was at 3.8.2
For 3) I don't think there is a test or check target in the Makefile. After doing an install I usually test with something like a simple "hello world" script::

hello.rex:
Code:
#! /usr/local/bin/rexx
/* */
  Say "Kilroy was here!"
  Exit
I will mention this to the upstream developers though as it is a good idea to have a test target.

For 4) /usr/ports/pobj is the working directory for the build. If /usr/ports is owned by root then pobj probably is too. For testing from an ordinary userid try redfining WRKOBJDIR something like this:
Code:
$WRKOBJDIR=/tmp make fake
For 5) I use the revision codes to help me keep track of my own changes.

Thanks again Jggimi
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2015
More noise than signal

You're welcome.

The documentation is stored in /usr/ports/distfiles as "regina.pdf" and "regutil.pdf" -- these are not versioned filenames as stored -- so any changes to these documents that don't change their names will cause distfile conflicts.

This is why I recommended using a versioned $DIST_SUBDIR. (OK, I just echoed the Porter's Handbook, which recommends this.)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2015
Package Pilot

Quote:
The documentation is stored in /usr/ports/distfiles as "regina.pdf" and "regutil.pdf" -- these are not versioned filenames as stored -- so any changes to these documents that don't change their names will cause distfile conflicts.

This is why I recommended using a versioned $DIST_SUBDIR. (OK, I just echoed the Porter's Handbook, which recommends this.)
Thanks, I finally got what you were talking about by reading the FreeBSD documentation:

http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/4.6-RELE...ook/x1957.html

And by looking at the /usr/ports/distfiles directory.

I updated the attachment in my original posting to a newer version "p2".
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2015
More noise than signal

Thanks. I'll have to test again when I have some time.

Regarding "4," .. the installation scripts should never write outside the fake directory structure, and that is what my previous test disclosed.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/differences.html#Fake

Last edited by jggimi; 9th September 2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2015
Package Pilot

Quote:
This is why I recommended using a versioned $DIST_SUBDIR...
I thought about the word "versioned" and changed my DIST_SUBDIR to include the version.

There is now a new "p3" version of the port attached to my original posting.

Last edited by comet--berkeley; 9th September 2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: missing bracket...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2015
Package Pilot

Quote:
Thanks. I'll have to test again when I have some time.

Regarding "4," .. the installation scripts should never write outside the fake directory structure...
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/differences.html#Fake
The "build" directory for regina-rexx is /usr/port/pobj/regina-rexx-3.9.1/Regina-REXX-3.9.1
The "fake" directory for regina-rexx is /usr/ports/pobj/regina-rexx-3.9.1/fake-amd64

/usr/ports/pobj is part of the fake directory structure. Any userid doing a "make fake" must either have write access to this directory or use another directory...

I appreciate your testing jggimi. Thanks!
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2015
More noise than signal

The USE_SYSTRACE test found policy violations, which usually means an installation script needs to be patched. It doesn't always mean there is a security problem, per se, but it does means that the installation script assumes the build machine is the install machine and installs things outside of a narrow set of directories. This may be due to hard-coded locations, or subordinate tools that write into hard coded locations.

I've been helping shep recently with a port that has this issue because it executes gtk-update-icon-cache during its installation step, which on OpenBSD is the fake step. We patched the install script to prevent it at that time, and used the x11/gnome MODULE with a modified PLIST to do it during pkg_add instead, which is when it is actually wanted. (We didn't invent the technique. We poked around the ports tree and adapted it from other ports.)

As I didn't investigate this issue when I tested your port earlier, only noted it happened, I'll do so when I test it again. I'll see if I can determine the root cause and work up a fix.

There are three goals beyond security for the fake step: 1) don't install anything by accident on on a build machine which may never actually install the package, 2) ensure the package contains everything needed by the application, and 3) ensure that pkg_delete removes the application completely, leaving nothing behind but any locally modified configuration files.

Last edited by jggimi; 9th September 2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typos - and a last paragraph on the fake stap
Old 10th September 2015
More noise than signal

I added Xtrace to the install-sh script, and can see that the policy problems first occur when the script tries to manage addons.

(Unrelated, I also noticed while you have a patch to add bitrig support, you have a post-extract edit which could be a patch also.)
Old 10th September 2015
Package Pilot

Quote:
I added Xtrace to the install-sh script, and can see that the policy problems first occur when the script tries to manage addons.

(Unrelated, I also noticed while you have a patch to add bitrig support, you have a post-extract edit which could be a patch also.)
Thanks, I will take a closer look at the install code for the addon libraries, libregutil, libtest1 and libtest2.
Old 11th September 2015
Package Pilot

There is a new version "p4" of the port and the systrace messages should be gone now.

I added a patch to the makefile.in and code to the post-install: to run the install-sh script to create directories.
Old 11th September 2015
More noise than signal

Thanks! Very cool! Installs and runs on amd64 -current. I ran a simple test program; but because its been decades since I've written -- or even seen -- any Rexx programs, I had to copy/paste one from the web.

If you post this to ports@ for consideration, I'm sure someone will recommend converting your post-extract target to a patch, since its just an edit.
Old 5th November 2015
More noise than signal

There was a discussion today on misc@ regarding $USE_SYSTRACE. As make fake can (and should) now be run as a normal user, $USE_SYSTRACE is no longer recommended -- the FAQ will be revised.

http://marc.info/?t=144663454100005&r=1&w=2