DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Old 22nd June 2008
Port Guard

Default power shut down

I just logged into FreeBSD (only one drive onnected) and was in the process of installing a new desktop background. Suddenly the power failed. Pushing the power button did not restart. When I reconnected all three drives the computer was ok again. Anyone had this happen before or have any idea of what could have caused this.
Old 24th June 2008
Port Guard

Default solved

I am able to boot with the other drives connected if I enter ufs:/dev/ad1s1a at the mountroot> prompt. Now I need help to edit the /etc/fstab file to make the change permanent. I don't know how to secure admininstrative privilieges. I have no idea what caused the power loss that one time, evidently one of the connections to the drive must have worked loose.
Old 24th June 2008
Port Guard

I dont want to come across rude, but please..

Read the handbook and learn su.
Old 24th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Not at all

No problem. I'm an absolute newbie to BSD and am a bit bewildered of where to start at this point. I realize that some work on my part is needed. Would you be kind enough to point me to the handbook that you refer to so that I can get started on the section to which you refer.
Old 24th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

su(1)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/users.html
Port Guard

Angry One final comment

One more thing. I'm not too impressed with the degree of beginner support here or elsewhere, neither with the OS itself. I've installed 3 of the games and neither works - jerky, slow, unplayable. I guess if I am ever to figure out how to get write permissions, etc., in PC-BSD it will be totally on my own.
Old 29th June 2008
Arp Constable

Remember archp2008, people who help do so because they wish to, not because they collect a $40,000 a year pay check for camping out on forums and making it senselessly easy ^_^.

Perhaps one thing that also sets a lot of BSD users apart, is we expect people to read the documentation and search the internet first ;-).

Last night, I set up mutt for the first time in ages. Read scottos page, searched the FAQ, the wiki, and the documentation and I had a configuration 10^2 of what I would have gotten without the effort.

2+2=4

The documentation for FreeBSD and OpenBSD is also far from lacking compared to a number of programs -- in my experience, Vim, OpenBSD, and Qt are three of the most well documented things in the software universe.

On my laptop, most games are jerkly, slow, unplayable, and really piss off the 4BSD scheduler. I know however that my graphics card has very poor 3D driver support when it comes to games that actually need it.

Thus in may case: XGalaga == yes; Chromium B.S.U. == no;

Does your card support suitable graphics capabilities under X to run the games correctly and are they suitably installed?

Write permissions are a realitive thing -- files, file systems, devices, etc. The permission model under unix is as simple as it gets without giving every tom dick and harry the ability to delete system files without a body block.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 1st July 2008
Port Guard

Default graphics problem/write permissions

I'm very persistent but I do have my frustration limit some days. I have downloaded the Nvidia LS7300 latest BSD driver but haven't reached the point yet where I know how to go to find the extracted files and enter at the prompt "make install" (I think that's what it is). As far as the write permissions all I had to do was use superuser terminal instead of the basic terminal. Similarly all the frustrations entering command prompts trying to fix my keyboard issues were unnecessary. All I had to do was go to click on keyboard layout and choose a different default. I find that looking around and trying things has achieved a lot more than reading incomprehensible and frequently overly advanced concepts. As an infant in BSD I hate being taught geometry for the purpose to tie up my "shoe laces."