DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Default 64 Bit

I am just wondering about the stability of 64 Bit FreeBSD and if all libraries are available or if emulators 32 to 64 are required ?

Upgrade or not ?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop1990 View Post
I am just wondering about the stability of 64 Bit FreeBSD and if all libraries are available or if emulators 32 to 64 are required ?

Upgrade or not ?
stability is good enough for most people to run production services. since you're looking at migrating from i386, I'd suggest locating the makefiles (or pre-compiled package files) for your installed ports and making sure there isn't an "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=i386" line (unless "amd64" is also on the line, of course). svgalib and linux_dri are a couple that spring to mind, and there are a few others. nvidia video support in X.org can also be lacking, as nvidia only releases binary drivers for 2D/3D acceleration and doesn't have a 64-bit driver for FreeBSD yet. you'll get a display, but it won't be accelerated and, depending on chipset and monitor, might not support widescreen modes.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

I want to build a hole new system so there is no immigration process.

So ATI graphics for 64 Bit ?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Package Pilot

I'm not sure if the ATI driver works on 64-bit, you may want to verify this before switching your environment.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
I want to build a hole new system so there is no immigration process.
I just meant "migration" in the sense of continuing to run the apps you currently run.

Quote:
So ATI graphics for 64 Bit ?
I think ATI is the only option if you want hardware acceleration. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm mistaken. if HW accel isn't a big deal to you, anything that x.org supports will work--ATI Radeon, Intel, even nVidia (though as I hinted at previously, my GeForce 6150 LE won't do widescreen modes at all or standard modes better than 1280x1024--other people have other chipsets doing widescreen and hi-res without problems). just depends on what you need.

on the subject of ATI graphics, I've been warned that the Radeon 9200 series can be problematic in x.org, and I've certainly experienced problems myself. console freezes and high CPU consumption, mostly. the person who warned me also had problems under Debian, so it's apparently not even a FreeBSD issue. just passing along the warning.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaseal View Post
I'm not sure if the ATI driver works on 64-bit, you may want to verify this before switching your environment.
could well depend on the chipset, but at the very least, ATI Radeon X800 (R430) works fine with radeon.ko and X.org 'radeon' driver on 64-bit since 6.0.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Spam Deminer

The r100 - r400 radeon cards (7500 through x850) are supported by the DRM in the FreeBSD source tree and the DRI driver in ports on amd64. r500 cards (x1300 through x1950) are supported if you are willing to compile the drivers and xserver from git. r600 cards are supported in 2D only.

I have not tested amd64 with an intel GPU, but I believe they are supported as well with direct rendering and AIGLX.

Adam
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Spam Deminer

There are no official ATi drivers for FreeBSD. That said, the radeon does not support the r500 or r600 cards. The development version of the driver does have support for both of those, but who knows when it'll be released. The radeonhd driver is what I use now. It is rock-solid stable, has support for accelerated 2d, and both the r500 and r600 cards. If you don't need 3d, then the radeonhd would be fine. ATi has released documentations on both of the series, so development should be picking up now. If you absolutely need 3d with all the bells and whistle then use an Intel integrated solution as adamk mentioned. I even had Compiz-Fusion working on mine.

As far ast stability goes on AMD64, it's rock-solid stable. Compatibility wise, flash and java plugins present problems. The Java problem should be alleviated once Sun's OpenJDK is released. For flash, you can use gnash or swfdec. I've been using swfdec for what little flash I use on my FreeBSD server.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
There are no official ATi drivers for FreeBSD. That said, the radeon does not support the r500 or r600 cards. The development version of the driver does have support for both of those, but who knows when it'll be released. The radeonhd driver is what I use now. It is rock-solid stable, has support for accelerated 2d, and both the r500 and r600 cards. If you don't need 3d, then the radeonhd would be fine. ATi has released documentations on both of the series, so development should be picking up now. If you absolutely need 3d with all the bells and whistle then use an Intel integrated solution as adamk mentioned. I even had Compiz-Fusion working on mine.
Actually, I would recommend any ATI/AMD product up to the x850. Or even the x1950 if the user is comfortable compiling from source. They are certainly more powerful than any of the integrated intel GPUs available today.

As for your statement that "the development version of the driver does have support for both of those"... That's not completely accurate. It has support for 2D + 3D for r500 cards, but 2D only for r600.

Adam
Old 27th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk View Post
As for your statement that "the development version of the driver does have support for both of those"... That's not completely accurate. It has support for 2D + 3D for r500 cards, but 2D only for r600.

Adam
So 64Bit and a r500 ati and I would be fine ? I just want to ask this questions before I persuade a system.
Old 27th June 2008
Spam Deminer

That's what I'm using. The only significant 3D related issue (for me) is that dri_devel doesn't work under AMD64, meaning you can't get direct rendering with linux applications.

compiz works great, though, as do nearly all native 3D applications.

Adam
Old 28th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk View Post
compiz works great, though, as do nearly all native 3D applications.

Adam
If compiz works I guess that is enough for the beginning !

regrades Snoop1990
my own small forum:pro-connect.co.cc