DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2010
New User

Default reboot freebsd periodically

Hi,

I have a freebsd 7.1 box running the following services:
  • web server
  • dns server
I'm curious whether there are any requirements from best practice point of view to restart freebsd box periodically. I mean literally restart the server, not just restarting the services running on it.

Thank you
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by semarmendemx View Post
I'm curious whether there are any requirements from best practice point of view to restart freebsd box periodically.
That seems to be conventional thinking with regards to Windows servers, but I've never known it to be recommended for any Linux or *BSD server. Many of my Linux systems have been up and running 900 days, though I do follow the OpenBSD team's advice and reboot my OpenBSD machines (for operating system upgrade) once every six months (unless it's CURRENT, in which case reboots come much, much sooner =).

IMHO, if there would be any reason to make it a hard requirement, software and security updates would be it...and even then a reboot is only necessary for kernel updates.

Last edited by rocket357; 27th October 2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2010
Arp Constable

If there is some reason why you want to periodically shut it down on a schedule, use a system cronjob and the shutdown command.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2010
New User

Thank you for the suggestions