DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2014
New User

Default Hi! A question about openbsd security

I'm a self confessed noob so this may be a silly question but I noticed when i tried running the command
SHUTDOWN NOW
it just logged me out. At which point the system stated it was going into security level 0 and allowed a passwordless / usernameless login!

I thopught that was strange for an OS focused on security?

When it allows the passwordless login I decided to take a look at the file .CSHRC
So i ran the head command and noticed this
UMASK 022

Which again I thought was strange because I got taught to set the umask permissions to 700 as standard!? I thought openbsd would not do this - is there a reason for it and when I log in as root is that the file I should edit for global permissions?

#2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2014
More noise than signal

The shutdown(8) command logs you out, drops into single user mode (shutting down all running processes except init(8)), then halts the system. If requested by the -p operand, it will also power down the system, if the hardware supports automatic power down, but that is dependent upon the system's BIOS and the method it uses for software power down control. Issuing:

# shutdown now

Will drop from multiuser to single user mode. It will not halt the system nor power down the system unless the -h or -p operands are used or the variable powerdown is set to YES in /etc/rc.shutdown.

A system which is halted can be rebooted just by pressing any key on the keyboard.

Last edited by jggimi; 3rd March 2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo, clarity, and then stupidity on my part for not remembering "shutdown now" is equivalent to "kill 1"
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrus View Post
I got taught to set the umask permissions to 700 as standard!?
Someone taught you a really cruel joke.
umask 700 does not do what you think it does.