DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Knuth's homeboy

Lightbulb What WM/DE do you currently use?

Ok I know this question is overdone. But lets face, it never goes out of fashion.

So, what Window Manager/Desktop Env. are you currently using?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Knuth's homeboy

I am currently using Xfce & contemplating a switch to KDE 4.2 ...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Tcpdump Spy

PekWM and happy with it.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
So, what Window Manager/Desktop Env. are you currently using?
I used to be an avid Fluxbox fan. Now, I use OpenBSD's implementation of cwm(1). Minimalism is where it's at, baby...

#5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

I'm using fluxbox for a couple of years now, after being a long-time fvwm user and getting sick of it. Though, I don't do anything very fancy (transparency, slit) with it, and in fact have gone to considerable lengths to make it look boring, lol

For those who like playing with new wm's just for fun, a couple that caught my attention while searching were:

ratpoison A different, tiled, paradigm (not for me).

evilwm Fairly minimal. This might be worth a look for someone wanting to write their own wm, since the code is so small.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

I use OpenBSD implementation of cwm.

Before cwm was a part of OpenBSD base and cleaned of bugs I used OpenBox. I also like JWM and recommend it to people who like more conventional desktop environment. Actually JWM uses less memory than OpenBox and even less memory
than TWM. It has as dependency only one X library so in practical sense is smaller than dwm.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2009
Banned

I use fluxbox these days, and prior to that.. blackbox.

cwm doesn't quite offer what I need from a Window manager.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2009
VPN Cryptographer

I've been OpenBox for the last 3 or 4 years on FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
evilwm Fairly minimal. This might be worth a look for someone wanting to write their own wm, since the code is so small.
FWIW, cwm(1) as available in a base install of OpenBSD (plus Xenocara...), is inspired by evilwm.

For those looking for interesting little coding projects to play with, TinyWM is written in less than fifty lines of C:

http://incise.org/tinywm.html
Old 13th July 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
FWIW, cwm(1) as available in a base install of OpenBSD (plus Xenocara...), is inspired by evilwm.
Thank you, that is very interesting. I will have a look at cwm sometime, likely it fell through the cracks (along with many others) in searching for an fvwm replacement.
Old 13th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
I will have a look at cwm sometime...
Two articles on undeadly you might be interested in are:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=searc...res=&query=cwm
  • The older article covers some of the motivation behind cwm(1).
  • The later article covers simple configuration.
A story I heard from one of the original developers was that he started hacking on cwm because he had sprained his wrist, so he was wanting to stay away from heavy mouse usage for awhile. Since windows no longer have title bars to grab with a mouse, the mouse plays an increasingly minor role in navigating the X landscape.

cwm is a bit different, but it has a place. If you like keyboard shortcuts, you might really like it.
Old 13th July 2009
Lisp Junkie

I often switch between Xmonad, StumpWM and IceWM.

Xmonad for the most part, though.
Old 13th July 2009
Coffee Addict

I am currently using KDE 4.x. I switched from KDE 3.x to KDE 4.x in January 2009 and have been very pleased with the desktop itself. I have been a little disappointed with the rate at which certain applications are transitioning from KDE 3.x to KDE 4.x, though. I guess I'll have to keep those 3.x libraries installed for a while.

I've been using KDE ever since I started using FreeBSD in 2003. The funny thing is when I installed FreeBSD for the very first time, I wanted to install GNOME but it didn't work so I tried KDE instead. I've been hooked ever since.
Old 13th July 2009
Custom Title Maker

Default Openbox

At home, on those rare occasions that I use X, I use Openbox. Prior to that, I used Fluxbox and Blackbox, with brief sojourns into ratpoison, fvwm and twm.

Since reading an article on undeadly, I've wanted to give cwm a spin now that it's in base, but will probably wait for 4.6 to do that. I've been going more and more minimalist with each release, in the sense that I try to add as few packages as possible now.
Fdisk Soldier

Main machine is icewm, but did install lxde on my linux partition (pclinuxos) and was quite impressed.
Old 13th July 2009
New User

Used to run KDE 3.5, then switched to 4.2 when it became more or less stable and usable. Tried to installed 4.2 on 8-Current, but it failed when compiling USB-related code. Installed XFCE from packages - so far fine.

BTW here is the error when building KDE 4 on 8-current (updated July 10):

Code:
[ 67%] Building CXX object apps/kinfocenter/usbview/CMakeFiles/kcm_usb.dir/kcmusb.o                                        
cd /home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/build/apps/kinfocenter/usbview && /usr/bin/c++   -D_GNU_SOURCE -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII -D_REENTRANT -DKDE_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS -DKDE_DEFAULT_DEBUG_AREA=1208 -Dkcm_usb_EXPORTS -O2 -pipe -g -fno-strict-aliasing -Woverloaded-virtual -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -O2 -DNDEBUG -DQT_NO_DEBUG -fPIC -I/home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/build/apps/kinfocenter/usbview -I/home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/apps/kinfocenter/usbview -I/home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/build/apps -I/home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/apps/lib/konq -I/home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/build -I/usr/local/kde4/include -I/usr/local/kde4/include/KDE -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtXmlPatterns -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtWebKit -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtHelp -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtAssistant -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtDBus -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtTest -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtUiTools -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtScript -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtSvg -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtSql -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtOpenGL -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtDesigner -I/usr/local/include/qt4/Qt3Support -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/local/include/qt4/Qt -I/usr/local/share/qt4/mkspecs/default -I/usr/local/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -o CMakeFiles/kcm_usb.dir/kcmusb.o -c /home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/apps/kinfocenter/usbview/kcmusb.cpp                                                         
In file included from /home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/apps/kinfocenter/usbview/usbdevices.h:20,                
                 from /home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/apps/kinfocenter/usbview/kcmusb.cpp:27:                  
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:33: error: multiple definition of 'enum usb_dev_speed'                                 
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:686: error: previous definition here                                                            
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:34: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_SPEED_VARIABLE'                                
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:687: error: 'USB_SPEED_VARIABLE' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_speed USB_SPEED_VARIABLE'                                                                                                                          
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:35: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_SPEED_LOW'                                     
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:688: error: 'USB_SPEED_LOW' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_speed USB_SPEED_LOW'         
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:36: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_SPEED_FULL'                                    
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:689: error: 'USB_SPEED_FULL' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_speed USB_SPEED_FULL'       
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:37: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_SPEED_HIGH'                                    
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:690: error: 'USB_SPEED_HIGH' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_speed USB_SPEED_HIGH'       
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:38: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_SPEED_SUPER'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:691: error: 'USB_SPEED_SUPER' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_speed USB_SPEED_SUPER'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:45: error: multiple definition of 'enum usb_revision'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:698: error: previous definition here
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:46: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_REV_UNKNOWN'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:699: error: 'USB_REV_UNKNOWN' has a previous declaration as 'usb_revision USB_REV_UNKNOWN'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:47: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_REV_PRE_1_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:700: error: 'USB_REV_PRE_1_0' has a previous declaration as 'usb_revision USB_REV_PRE_1_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:48: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_REV_1_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:701: error: 'USB_REV_1_0' has a previous declaration as 'usb_revision USB_REV_1_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:49: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_REV_1_1'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:702: error: 'USB_REV_1_1' has a previous declaration as 'usb_revision USB_REV_1_1'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:50: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_REV_2_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:703: error: 'USB_REV_2_0' has a previous declaration as 'usb_revision USB_REV_2_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:51: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_REV_2_5'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:704: error: 'USB_REV_2_5' has a previous declaration as 'usb_revision USB_REV_2_5'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:52: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_REV_3_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:705: error: 'USB_REV_3_0' has a previous declaration as 'usb_revision USB_REV_3_0'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:59: error: multiple definition of 'enum usb_hc_mode'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:712: error: previous definition here
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:60: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_MODE_HOST'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:713: error: 'USB_MODE_HOST' has a previous declaration as 'usb_hc_mode USB_MODE_HOST'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:61: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_MODE_DEVICE'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:714: error: 'USB_MODE_DEVICE' has a previous declaration as 'usb_hc_mode USB_MODE_DEVICE'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:62: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_MODE_DUAL'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:715: error: 'USB_MODE_DUAL' has a previous declaration as 'usb_hc_mode USB_MODE_DUAL'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:69: error: multiple definition of 'enum usb_dev_state'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:722: error: previous definition here
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:70: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_STATE_DETACHED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:723: error: 'USB_STATE_DETACHED' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_state USB_STATE_DETACHED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:71: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_STATE_ATTACHED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:724: error: 'USB_STATE_ATTACHED' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_state USB_STATE_ATTACHED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:72: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_STATE_POWERED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:725: error: 'USB_STATE_POWERED' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_state USB_STATE_POWERED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:73: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_STATE_ADDRESSED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:726: error: 'USB_STATE_ADDRESSED' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_state USB_STATE_ADDRESSED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb_revision.h:74: error: conflicting declaration 'USB_STATE_CONFIGURED'
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h:727: error: 'USB_STATE_CONFIGURED' has a previous declaration as 'usb_dev_state USB_STATE_CONFIGURED'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/ports/x11/kdebase4/work/kdebase-4.2.4/build.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/ports/x11/kdebase4.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/ports/x11/kdebase4.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/ports/x11/kde4.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/ports/x11/kde4.
Would appreciate any help in resolving this.
Old 14th July 2009
Shell Scout

In M$-Linux I use Gnome for my main account and openbox+awn on the guest account. In FreeBSD it's ash.
Old 14th July 2009
Arp Constable

My main work-getting-done system (FreeBSD) runs FVWM 2.5.

TinyWM and dwm are good code bases for those that want to play with WM code; they are very small and very very simple beasts.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 14th July 2009
Local

On my FreeBSD systems I've been happily using IceWM for some time. (On my Fedora laptop I'm running GNOME.)
More noise than signal

My primary WM is XFCE. I use XFCE primarily because of xfce4-panel and terminal.

I will also use Fluxbox when I need a "minimal but usable" WM on a system where I don't want a lot of extraneous things installed, but need an X application. I have Ocicat to thank for introducing me to Fluxbox.

I have an Ubuntu partition on my laptop for some Linux-only apps, and use the default Gnome. I used to have Xubuntu installed, but switched because Xubuntu has Gnome libraries and applets installed anyway, so it may as well be Gnome, and Ubuntu was easier to adminstrate than Xubuntu.

Tags
desktop, window manager