DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 14th July 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
My primary WM is XFCE. I use XFCE primarily because of xfce4-panel and terminal.
So you like that CDE look? Unfortunately xfce looks too modern for my retro eyes. You can use xfce4-panel with any WM you like. I used it with OpenBox.Then I start dropping things one by one so that I do not have to install them unless really necessary.

You might find JWM to be a very good solution as it has a panel with the task bar which is highly configurable and it is very light on resources far lighter than IceWM which has similar look and feel.
Old 14th July 2009
Knuth's homeboy

Oko> So you like that CDE look?

That maybe have been XFCE's intial goal but going by their current look(widgets/theme) I think they are trying to be like a 'light-weight' alternative to Gnome.
Old 14th July 2009
Knuth's homeboy

I have been trying out KDE 4.2 for the last couple of days. So far I am very impressed.

The oxygen widgets look good & generally the desktop looks very pretty even without Compiz (which i don't have enabled anyway).
IMO it's a huge improvement over 3.x (and the early 4.0 releases).
The Dolphin FM is also nice & so too is the default Wallpaper.

Three cheers for the KDE team.
Old 26th July 2009
asemisldkfj
-Guest-

I've been trying out different tiling WMs. for now I'm sticking with wmii. the status bar is really neat. I'm thinking about trying dwm again but I kind of hate that all the configuration has to be done before compiling. I like binary packages!
Old 27th July 2009
Flying Circus Master

dwm

Editing the header file and compiling takes what... a second or two?

dwm is a fast, light, managed tiling (optional floating, "maximized" single window) manager. In FreeBSD ports too. It's the only wm which has stood the test of time on my "desktop".
Old 27th July 2009
Administrator

I am a longtime Fluxbox user, but lately I have been messing with PekWM and I am happy with it.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 27th July 2009
Arp Constable

DWM is so small, the only way it can take a long time is if you're still using a Pentium 66Mhz. It actually takes longer to read the source code then it does to download and compile.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 27th July 2009
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
It actually takes longer to read the source code then it does to download and compile.
Isn't that always the case?
Old 4th August 2009
ISO Quartermaster

fvwm-2.5.27

fvwm is the best
http://picasaweb.google.com/killasmurf86/Screenshots#
Old 22nd November 2009
Ghost in the Shell

I currently switch between ratpoison and windowmaker mostly might switch to wmii again (haven't used it in years) one of these upcoming days though.
Old 22nd November 2009
Administrator

After some time with pekwm i switched to openbox, pekwm does not 'alt-tab' windows in the way I like:
http://pekwm.org/projects/pekwm/tasks/210

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
Old 22nd November 2009
UNIX lover

Longtime fvwm user since the mid-90s, since almost two years fluxbox user, now openbox and sometimes wmii user.
Custom Title Maker

I just discovered the joys of cwm(1). I seldom use X, so I'm still tweaking it to my tastes, but I like what I see so far. I like that it is in the base system. My quest for minimalism continues!
Banned

I've used quite a few different window managers in the past, but so far fluxbox is still my primary choice.

I just wished they made releases more often, having to "track git" is just such an annoying trait from the Linux-oriented community.

Not entirely convinced the minimalism offered by cwm(1) is good for my tastes, it's a grey area.. I don't like fancy desktop environments, but a window manager should have a little something to grab onto.
Old 23rd November 2009
Administrator

Default Diffrences between PEKWM/FLUXBOX/OPENBOX

WINDOW SWITCHING BEHAVIOUR
Proper 'ALT-TAB' behaviour is only available on fluxbox and openbox, pekwm lacks a lot here, check this for more information: http://pekwm.org/projects/pekwm/tasks/210

While fluxbox switches between windows instantly, openbox/pekwm can show list of windows while switching and openbox can also show black/white border for every window (like metacity).
WORKSPACE MENU
The so-called workspace menu in fluxbox expands into submenu for each workspace, which makes its useless for generall usage.

Both pekwm/openbox provide here workspace menu that shows all apps on all workspaces isntantly, but only openbox can render all application icons properly here.
PROPER ICON RENDERRING
Both pekwm/fluxbox cannot render application icons properly, while openbox can, fluxbox renders properly icons in the root menu, but only if you select exact size for the icon (same as actual image size), if image is bigger, its scaled version would be ugly.
WORKING AREA
At both openbox/pekwm we can set margins for the workspace, the space on the sides which will NOT be used for windows, to achieve the same on fluxbox, you can only use dome dockapp with displaying transparent PNG file (dirty hack) with do not maximize over slit option.
ACTIONS ON WINDOW BAR/BORDER
At pekwm/openbox we can define various actions that will happen when clicking/scrolling the window border/bar, some custom commands (like transparency increasing/decresing with transset-df), fluxbox can offer that
STANDARDS
Both pekwm/fluxbox are NOT fully compilant with NETWM/EMWH while openbox is (but I never suffered from the fact that they arent fully compilant).
LANGUAGE (as curiosity)
Both pekwm/fluxbox are written in C++ while openbox is written in C, which make it little faster, but its propably hard to notice this on Core 2 Duo class machines these days.
OTHER
Both pekwm/fluxbox support tabs, but I do not remember when I last used them
From these two fluxbox also offers taskbar, but being frank with you, I must say that having so nice workspace menu on openbox I do not need taskbar any more.
COMMAND SUBSHELL
If you put something like that into fluxbox root menu feh --bg-scale $( cat ~/.fehbg | cut -d ' ' -f 3 ), then fluxbox will execute that without any problems, while openbox will throw an error (havent checked for pekwm), same for ` ... `
... my thoughts on differences between these 3 WMs.

Old 23rd November 2009
Banned

There are licencing concerns as well, for those concerned anyway.. both openbox and pekwm are GPL.

fluxbox uses the MIT license.. just like it's predecessor, blackbox.
Old 25th November 2009
Ghost in the Shell

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angevin
I currently switch between ratpoison and windowmaker mostly might switch to wmii again (haven't used it in years) one of these upcoming days though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
There are licencing concerns as well, for those concerned anyway.. both openbox and pekwm are GPL.

fluxbox uses the MIT license.. just like it's predecessor, blackbox.
Yes, I'm going to stop using ratpoison and windowmaker today primarily because of the licensing. Wmii and xmonad are both quality WMs . The former is under the MIT license and the latter under a 3 clause BSD license I think. If I really miss ratpoison I'll just use xmonad but I bet everything will be copacetic with wmii so that probably won't be necessary. I remember using wmii-2 years ago and I have good memories of it.

Last edited by Angevin; 25th November 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 25th November 2009
Custom Title Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Not entirely convinced the minimalism offered by cwm(1) is good for my tastes, it's a grey area.. I don't like fancy desktop environments, but a window manager should have a little something to grab onto.
I'm still getting used to cwm, but I've found it to be just as functional as fluxbox, which I used until OpenBSD 4.6 was released. Out of curiosity, can you elaborate a little on what you mean by "grab onto?"
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolino View Post
I'm still getting used to cwm, but I've found it to be just as functional as fluxbox, which I used until OpenBSD 4.6 was released. Out of curiosity, can you elaborate a little on what you mean by "grab onto?"
I've used cwm(1), it's not that bad.. but I've been spoilt by window managers that offer fancy window decorations around the edges.
Old 25th November 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

During the early era of this thread, I spent a few weeks trying out a great many of the WMs that people were mentioning. Through it, I ended up sticking with fluxbox, but it was far from a wasted effort. The process caused me totally re-think, re-evaluate and re-configure all aspects of my fluxbox setup, adopting various new ideas and resulting in something better suited to my usage. A very useful thread!

For example, I now have no decorations around the windows except the handle at the top. Resizing is done with Meta-Mouse2.

The two WMs I found most likely substitutes were pekwm and openbox. But pekwm-0.1.11 didn't seem to have AutoRaise which was a show-stopper. Openbox seemed so close to fluxbox it hardly seemed worth switching (though I could look at it more sometime); as for speed fluxbox feels plenty fast on my old box (500 MHz).

Tags
desktop, window manager