DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 27th July 2013
bsdstudent

It's alright muflon .. just was curious about ditching mouses off these legacy hardware of mine lol ..
Today I've been using xphoonful i3 wm and have liked it and its i3status bar
Old 27th July 2013
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
It's alright muflon .. just was curious about ditching mouses off these legacy hardware of mine lol ..
Using cwm, You can move windows by key combination: Alt + L[left], K[up], J[down], H[right], close/open - select them, and these all without a mouse touch.

My older hardware I just to connect through rs232, and It's a good option If you have limited number of screens/space in the table/room, and don't want to touch your controlled chaos, after witch it can turn in to a chaos...
Old 27th July 2013
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
Today I've been using xphoonful i3 wm and have liked it and its i3status bar
What does "xphoonful" mean?
bsdstudent

Thanks muflon !
Hi roddierod ! I mean i3+xphoon .. I'm a big fan of xphoon.
Old 29th July 2013
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muflon View Post
I don't know If I understand you correctly but, if you want to make window edges easier to identify, You can type in .cwmrc; these or other set of colours, and borderwith [in cwm default border is 1 pixel wide]:
borderwidth 3
color activeborder blue
color inactiveborder darkblueidentify
Thanks, I must not have been clear, but you've helped me anyway. I wanted no border at all because my mouse cursor would land there when I tried to give focus to the topmost tag of the acme window (the idea of the infinitely tall menu as explained in 2a of this link: http://teresi.us/html/writing/mac_vs_windows.html). Of course, the simple way to accomplish this is to set borderwidth to 0 in cwmrc, which your post made me realize. Always my first thought is to overcomplicate things. If losing the border flash UI feedback when I group windows confuses me I can always revisit the idea of messing with the code, but I doubt I'll miss it. Most of my regularly used programs autogroup now. I haven't manually grouped anything since starting to use acme, in fact. Most of my manual grouping had been to distinguish different xterms from each other. But acme displaces much of my use of xterms. Hopefully one day it will displace all of it. Or I could start using tmux more, but that seems really awkward after using acme a while.

As far as the part of this thread dealing with mouseless WMs, I recall myself conflating the idea of bloat and mouse based UIs. I wonder if some are making the same mistake, or if it's only preference difference. Rob Pike's acme paper is a good cure for mouse hatred, IMO.

Now, cwm is usable without the mouse, I think, having keybindings for most things you need to do. But I have to wonder why someone would want vi key commands to move or size windows unless their mouse were broken. Best thing of course is to settle on a window layout and use geometry arguments to get things situated automatically. Or use a tiling wm, I guess. But there always seem to be programs with UIs that defeat the tiling wms. Recent versions of cwm do have a command inspired by tiling wms, btw, though I never use it myself.
Old 16th January 2015
got root?

spectrwm, with occasional forays into cwm...
Attached Images
File Type: png attachment.png (238.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 18th January 2015
dat guy

I thought I'll stay with awesome wm forever, but I've recently met someone with a great bspwm config. Guess I'll talk to him these days again ...
Old 18th January 2015
OpenBSD language porter

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cv...ype=text/plain
Old 18th January 2015
Spam Deminer

i3
Attached Images
File Type: png 939c0b85d9292c3cec3e572566ca533c.png (737.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: png e498444d9e85c89f1fa9390e7f2efc79.png (470.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: png 096afdbeca6fe715acf1e27270e88fd5.png (586.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 18th January 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Huh. Someone actually uses sakura.
(Any reason you have conky displaying the / partition instead of what is likely the much more useful /home partition?)
Old 18th January 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
(Any reason you have conky displaying the / partition instead of what is likely the much more useful /home partition?)
Conky is a work-in-progress. It is only displaying the things I could figure out how to get displayed. I have not given any thought to which partitions should or should not be shown.

Tags
desktop, window manager