DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2021
Linux

Default Wired home network

Hi, I've got questions. After moving to a new location, I have 5 computers running different OSes, 1 Win, 3 Linuces, 1 OpenBSD. Internet to the apartment is provided through single Lan cable (marked as Cat 5e) with 30 Mbps in/out speed. I want to connect that cable to a router and connect the router to all 5 machines with Lan cables. The apartment is small with 2 small rooms, I need internet in both rooms.
1) What router should I buy.
2) Do I need to install OpenBSD on the router. It seems like a good idea. I would really like to have OpenBSD on a router if it possible.
3) What type of cable should I buy? Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th January 2021
Administrator

You could use an older computer with 2 network cards, install OpenBSD on it, configure a suitable pf.conf and enable forwarding between the two NICs.

The apartment 30 Mbps cable goes into one of the NIC's acting as external interface, the other NIC, the internal interface, connects to a small ethernet switch with 5 ports. You connect your 5 computers to this switch.

Simple isn't it?