DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2008
Port Guard

Default Freebsd's Wine & sched_ule

This is something that's been bothering me for some time now. I'll go straight to the point. Is there known incompatibilities between the two?

The symptoms? I've been using the Ule in my kernel from the beginning of 7.0 and I always use just -Release. There hasn't really been that many long periods with the 4BSD scheduler, so the assumption is that I've been always using Ule when ever Wine is installed, that is, until last week when I changed to 4BSD when updating to -p5. So, before last weeks change, there was always a great chance that my whole system would crash whenever I used Wine for anything, mainly for firefox portable. It was unbelievable terrible, simply unbearable.

In the end, I don't really have a clue what im talking about, im just wondering if there is any truth to this.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2008
Risen from the ashes

FreeBSD 7-STABLE (i386) from August, running Wine 1.0.3, using ULE, I have no problems running the Windows versions of uTorrent, Firefox, and Flash. Although I don't use them very often, or for all that long at any one time.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2008
Coffee Addict

Are you saying that after switching to the 4BSD scheduler the crashes stopped?

I have been using FreeBSD 7-STABLE i386 (updated about every month) with ULE and Wine 1.1.5 with Firefox 3.0.1 (for Flash) and haven't had much trouble. Before that Firefox 2.x. I don't use Wine for much else but in the past I have had Adobe Photoshop 7.0 running with it and the ULE scheduler.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2008
Port Guard

Seems like I should start looking somewhere else... It's quite a mystery right now, still no crashes. I did some updates with portmaster the same day, so I have a lead on this.