DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
New User

Default FF download day!?

Mozilla is going for the Guinness world record for downloads in a day to promote their new browser. Do you think they'll count source code downloads of us non-windows users? I sure couldn't tell anything from the FAQ.

(I talk more about it here.)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I suppose the should count so. What's the ruddy difference?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
UNIX lover

What's the point with this download-day? Nonsense, all browsers suck more or less. There is nothing special just massive hype.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
Port Guard

Hey dont bash my Netscrape 2.0!

*snicker*
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Last I looked, it was around 3 million downloads in 4 hours.

The hype is that it's a new major version with some new cool features. By the end of the year, 1 in 4 surfers, or more, will be using it. Considering that this brand did not exist just over 3 years ago is pretty much something.

A pretty good video
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
Arp Constable

I think I agree with Oliver_H, all browsers suck more or less.

The big differences is how standards compliant they handle things and how portable they are. Both of which are probably lesser issues now then they once were.

I'll upgrade to Firefox 3 when Flock is based on it, *wink*.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

http://failblog.org/2008/06/17/firefox-release-fail/
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
The big differences is how standards compliant they handle things and how portable they are. Both of which are probably lesser issues now then they once were.
There are significant differences in standards compliance. Safari, Opera and Firefox lead the way, while Internet Explorer is at least 10 years behind web standards.
Quote:
I'll upgrade to Firefox 3 when Flock is based on it, *wink*.
I thought I read, just yesterday, that Flock is now using the new FF3 upgrade, but I also thought Flock was only based on Gecko, not FF specifically. Don't recall.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
Arp Constable

Flock is basically a custom Firefox, using Flock 1.2.1 here on the gaming machine:

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080530 Firefox/2.0.0.14 Flock/1.2.1
I was glad to see a couple weeks ago that the native FreeBSD version in ports (www/flock) was updated to from 0.x.x to 1.1.x so I won't have to use the linux-flock port for long on my laptop with luck hehe.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 24th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

From FreeBSD Technologies in New Firefox 3 Browser

Quote:
FreeBSD 7 powers the mirror that withstood a sustained download rate of a gigabit per second, during peak download periods throughout Firefox's world record breaking "Download Day."
Knuth's homeboy

for an OSS project i am amazed at the marketing hype -- the kind i would associate with a successful commercial product -- that they have generated.
Old 24th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Well, you can say about firefox what you want, but they are doing something right to get that ~18% marketshare (globally) vs. the ~.8% Opera has...
UNIX lover

>but they are doing something right to get that ~18% marketshare (globally) vs. the ~.8% Opera has...

Yeah like Microsoft
VPN Cryptographer

In many countries in Europe, Asia and Australia, Firefox has almost 50% usage. iirc, Germany, Finland and a couple more.
Old 25th June 2008
Banned

Here in Canada, I'm seeing a lot more television commercials that clearly use Firefox.. how widely it's distributed is unknown too me.
Old 25th June 2008
Spam Deminer

While Im always a die hard Opera user and support them from the day I started using it, I have to say this time the latest Opera version (at least for FreeBSD) fails in comparison to the rival. So many annoying bugs, which never happens with all previous stable releases, some of them drove me insane. In other hand, Firefox under Windows is exceptionally amazing. It works flawlessly, startup time is close to instance (yes it starts up almost instantly), very reponsive and looks neat.

Also, I would tip my hat to the Mozilla marketing team. They did a tremedous job. Firefox wouldnt be as popular as atm without them for sure
Old 25th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Yeah, the new Opera 9.50 isn't exactly the best release they ever made ... It was released just one or two days after Firefox 3, the Opera team probably rushed the release for competition with Firefox...
VPN Cryptographer

As another die hard Opera user, I find that the linux 9.50 is better than the Windows version I use to read these forums. For some reason mark as read does not work in the windows version for me Haven't installed the native FreeBSD version 9.50 yet.

I still haven't tried the new FF...someone told me the best feature is the NES plugin. I really can't see that as a reason for me to try it...
Tcpdump Spy

ugh?
It works fine for me on both Windows and FreeBSD.
Thread read/unread flags are kept in the database, not in cookies ... So it's serverside and should work in any browser/OS.

One thing you can try is removing your Opera's profile, upgrading can be a real pain in Opera...
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
As another die hard Opera user, I find that the linux 9.50 is better than the Windows version I use to read these forums. For some reason mark as read does not work in the windows version for me Haven't installed the native FreeBSD version 9.50 yet.
I notice this bug from the the first 9.5 beta version which make some pages stay unchanged. It could happen when you attempt to log in but Opera delivers you the same login page again, no redirection or after applying some changes but nothing happens.

Its Firefox thread and we are talking too much about Opera, sorry Firefox guys