DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2013
Semper deinceps corda

Default mplayer & mplayer-share-1.1.1 not available on the repository

When I try to install mplayer from pkgin, it gives the following error:

Quote:
mplayer-share-1.1.1 is not available on the repository
NetBSD 6.1.2 amd64.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2013
Arp Constable

What follows is more of a personal opinion.

NetBSD supports over 30 different architectures and attempts automated packages builds for all of them.

The binary builds utilize their pkgsrc system which has quarterly releases and 2013Q3 is current at this time. So port maintainers submit their updated code to a quarterly release which the build system utilizes to make binary packages. As you can expect, not all packages build but while a quarterly release is active there are tweaks to the build code to allow more packages to build.

With that background:
1) Build it yourself from pkgsrc
2) Wait for the build system to produce an mplayer-share package. Not guaranteed to happen - some complicated packages, eg. a native libreoffice, have yet to build and others build but do not run.
3) Try an earlier build ie 2013Q2 - caveat: You will get into trouble if you mix 2013Q2 and2013Q3 packages.

I would recommend looking a the NetBSD mailing lists, Pkgsrc.se and perusing the ftp sites: NetBSD FTP sites. In your case you would find mplayer packages absent but that vlc packages compiled sucessfully.

Last edited by shep; 4th November 2013 at 08:30 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2013
Semper deinceps corda

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
What follows is more of a personal opinion.

NetBSD supports over 30 different architectures and attempts automated packages builds for all of them.

The binary builds utilize their pkgsrc system which has quarterly releases and 2013Q3 is current at this time. So port maintainers submit their updated code to a quarterly release which the build system utilizes to make binary packages. As you can expect, not all packages build but while a quarterly release is active there are tweaks to the build code to allow more packages to build.

With that background:
1) Build it yourself from pkgsrc
2) Wait for the build system to produce an mplayer-share package. Not guaranteed to happen - some complicated packages, eg. a native libreoffice, have yet to build and others build but do not run.
3) Try an earlier build ie 2013Q2 - caveat: You will get into trouble if you mix 2013Q2 and2013Q3 packages.

I would recommend looking a the NetBSD mailing lists, Pkgsrc.se and perusing the ftp sites: NetBSD FTP sites. In your case you would find mplayer packages absent but that vlc packages compiled sucessfully.
I will try to compile it. I have quite experience with FreeBSD ports system, but pkgsrc and how to get updated source is new to me.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th November 2013
Too dumb for a smartphone

I took a slightly different route and compiled mplayer from source, without using the pkgsrc system. This will install it under /usr/local instead of /usr/pkg. The advantage is you don't have to know anything about pkgsrc compilation. The disadvantage is you won't learn anything about pkgsrc compilation.

I did this for MPlayer-1.1.1 on i386 (can't say if it will work for amd64). Just get the source and install any prerequisite binary packages. Then my notes say:

Code:
To compile, and especially re-compile, for NetBSD,

**** be sure to use __ gmake __ ****

So:

Install the codecs.

> gmake distclean  OR  gmake clean

> CFLAGS= ./configure

> gmake

# gmake install | tee Install.Out
Might be worth a try.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2013
Shell Scout

I think it was after I upgraded to NetBSD 6.1 that I started experiencing the same problem, when pkgin would decline to install some package. In most cases I bypassed it by using the good old pkg_add.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th November 2013
Semper deinceps corda

Compilation was well, but long, VLC works well on this platform, so I could have skipped mplayer. I should have remembered that "pkgsrc was derived from FreeBSD's ports system" as stated in its guide, and found them nearly identical in their operation. Updating source was easy through CVS.

I made the packages, but it seems the policy is not to accept them from non NetBSD developers (which I understand in these times of malware). So they will have to stay in my root raidctl raid1 mirror (yes, I dared to do it).

As a side note, I have to say that I find OpenBSD's softraid easier to operate, although raidctl have more "disciplines" supported. I wish I had not used up all the disks' space because I wanted to use encryption with CGD, and now I am limited to vnd.

P.S.: I see that vnconfig in NetBSD does not integrate cryptography, so I suppose I can do i t with CGD.

My next step is to set up Xen and use this machine a a stable platform.

Last edited by Martillo; 5th November 2013 at 11:45 AM.