DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
New User

Default Looking for FreeBSD PS Developer

Hello

edit: please read my 2nd post on this thread for a more in depth description of the project

I am here on my own accord representing a World of Warcraft private server who is in need of a person efficient in FreeBSD to join our team. I figure if there's any place to look for a person who can help, this is it. Let me say first off that I am not fluent in FreeBSD so if I make fallacies in the following, forgive my ignorance.

Let me just give a little history about us:

We were founded in early June of this year. All the members of our staff came from another server called AniWoW. The owner of this server was inactive and moody.. often disappearing for a few weeks at a time. Eventually he said he was selling AniWoW to a 'mystery buyer'. There was no date on when this buyer would reveal himself, and weeks dragged on. People became curious.

The staff was affected of course and began to talk about it. They were frustrated that the server was doing so well and they wanted to know if they were going to be able to keep working on it or not. One of them had said "[Ex-owner] can bite me" and this resulted in 12 people partaking in the conversation getting banned. 12 of his best and most loyal staff who had spent time making that server better for now, nothing. He ended up saying that he had made up the owner and that he wanted a fresh start so he banned them all -- he is still the owner to this day, 3 months later.

So spawned HonorWoW which is us. Our owner, Demandred, is a 26 year old salesman who could pay for the 2 WoW server's monthly cost in half a day, and we got a great deal too. The problem was our 2 devs turned the server into their playground and people were not happy. Things got worse and eventually we moved on from them. Demandred has since disappeared. Coincidentally, his host shut down and we were left completely without a server.

We now pay for the server on a new host as a team. Our community is smaller but tight knit. Should you want to work with us - you will have great times in the community if you wish.

We have a data center in North America where we get a deal for 50$ a month, we can run a 300 player server on FreeBSD coding. You will never be asked to pay one cent. We have a dedicated European dev (fully fluent in english) who is on usually around here and there from 8am-7pm. Our servers are up and our dev, Memorex, is in the process of installing the necessary framework for the WoW server.

If you are interested heres a few things -
  • Have a project attitude coming into it
  • Be able to work as a team
  • Competent in freeBSD, knowing how to apply it to WoW servers would be appreciated but not necessary if you are knowledgeable
  • Be able to be active in communication with the rest of the staff / community (but we can take care of the community if you'd like to just work with staff)

Well that's about it. If you're interested, E-mail me at here, or post here, or PM me on the forums.

Thanks very much
Mark

Last edited by Slyshadow; 6th August 2008 at 02:43 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Local

@Slyshadow:

I'm replying here (rather than via a more private method) because I think some further explanation might help anyone who is considering contacting you.

The background and historical information you posted is interesting, but the only technical qualifications for a potential candidate I can glean from your post are:
Quote:
a person efficient in FreeBSD
Competent in freeBSD, knowing how to apply it to WoW servers would be appreciated but not necessary
What exactly do you need this person to do? If you're not familiar with the specifics, is there someone else who can provide more information? Are you looking for a sysadmin or a developer? (Or something else?)

Will this person be compensated for his/her work? If so, how and how much? Are you looking for someone who can provide regular part-time or full-time hours, or someone who will work only as needed? How flexible are the hours? Is telecommuting an option? And so on... you get the idea.

Thanks in advance for clarifying for future readers.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
New User

Thanks for the advice.

The job is volunteer work. It does not pay. You are in full control of your hours, you are not required for a certain amount of hours, and you are not required to be present at any certain time of the day. We also do deem quality of quantity, so if you can make tons of progress within an hour, then that'd be all you'd need to put in.

One thing to consider is leadership. If you don't feel you're a strong leader then the position may not be appropriate -- You will be working with another developer as a complete equal, but often there are times when you can lay out some plans for our Senior GMs (with spawn/additem privileges) and they will work with you accordingly. It's not necessary to have them help you, you may work alone if you choose, but this option is here to take the stress off and make things more efficient for you.

Things you'd be doing (this is more of a Developer position)
  • --Hotfixing various bugs in the emulator This would be the bulk of your work
  • --Fixing core issues with the emulator, like making minions/pets work for example You'd do this sort of thing if there are no other issues to be dealt with
  • --Building in-game NPC vendors or other NPCs This can be done by you or senior GMs
  • --Script several instances Basic spell timer scripting, no need to create the raid events unless you feel you can handle it
  • --Building custom items, for example, a trinket that will teleport the player to various locations around the world

Optional things you can do if you want to:
  • --Run in-game events PVP events, obstacle courses, races, stairway events
  • --Build in-game events for other GMs to run Create the obstacle course or stairway
  • --Give dev's notes to our community to keep them filled in on updates you make If you just want to work, all we'd ask is that you report major changes or ETAs to us and we will keep the updates log
  • --Develop custom gear This would be in the future, we haven't really made solid plans for custom gear
  • --Build your own instance for your custom gear to drop in You could just do this for fun if you felt the urge
  • --Create custom landscapes for PVP usages Simple, fort vs fort with a strategical landscape in between

I'll try to get the developer you'd potentially be working with to come and fill you in more on the technical stuff

Again, I came to this forum blind of how it works so thank you for your patience and helpfulness.

Last edited by Slyshadow; 6th August 2008 at 02:39 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
Banned

I have no idea what this person is asking... are they recruiting a developer for some sort of game?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
New User

In a nutshell, yes. World of Warcraft on a privately run server with it's own community. I know this isn't the most professional "Help Wanted" ad in the world. I apologize for that. This is more or less a casual job you can do in the evenings for an hour or two. On the level that people seem to be who post on this forum, this would be more of a hobby than a full or part time 'job'.

Last edited by Slyshadow; 6th August 2008 at 02:41 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyshadow View Post
On the level that people seem to be who post on this forum, this would be more of a hobby than a full or part time 'job'.
With respect, for no pay this is not a job, it is a hobby, or perhaps an internship.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
New User

Very true. You are right that this is not a job at all... I think what I am trying to convey by making the distinction is that there will be no stress or pressure involved in this.. it is done on your time, at your will.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
you are not required for a certain amount of hours, and you are not required to be present at any certain time of the day. We also do deem quality of quantity, so if you can make tons of progress within an hour, then that'd be all you'd need to put in.
You really ought to revise your language. Maybe I'm just crotchety, but if I were to be interested in such a position (and I'm not) this sort of thing would be extremely off-putting.

I've hired a number of unpaid interns, but they always received a grade for their internship through their school. The only thing I've asked is that they complete something (usually a port) in the term and document it. They could come in or work from home. They could work a lot or a little. It was their project, as long as they met the goal.

They usually have chosen to come in for a while to get to know me and the system; thereafter they have done their own thing except when they needed guidance.

You have told us what you want. Why would someone want to do this? What is in it for them?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2008
New User

Well, it's hard for me to answer that. There are hundreds of developers within the private server community who do this for free. Why they do it is beyond me. If you like the game, and you have an interest in coding, and coincidentally you're looking for something to do for an hour or two a night (more or less) then this would fit you perfectly. With the server comes a community of people who play together and have known each other for awhile. Like I said in my first post, if you choose to get involved in the community (forums, IRC, in-game) then I can guarantee you will enjoy yourself.

I'm not sure what I did wrong in that quote. I think I was long-winded which put you off. Sorry about that, it was not intentional. I did edit my post a few times and may have overedited that

This might be a forum strictly built for paid professionals. I may be way out of my league. I'm truthfully not sure. But in my shoes, our server needs a developer and I felt like this place was worth a shot. In making this, the best that could happen would be that we find our dev, and the worst would be that I get banned from the forums, and my thread deleted. Either way I felt it was worth a shot.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 6th August 2008
Tcpdump Spy

From my experience it is usually better to recruit from within the community rather that outside it, although you may find a programmer by posting on forums such as these, I think the chances will be pretty slim.

Quote:
This might be a forum strictly built for paid professionals.
This is a forum for people who use (and typically like) BSD operating systems.
New User

I think you're right about my chances, but I greatly appreciate you allowing me to try.
Old 6th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

No offense taken at all. Some here are professionals in IT, others pursue it as a hobby, some of us use it professionally, some are students, some are just interested in various operating systems and stop by for a while. There is no profile that I know of, other than an interest in the BSD family of operating systems.

Still, you have to answer why someone would want to do what you ask. You have gone some of the way there, and you are right that it is hard to speculate why people do what they do.

Since I'm not in the target audience, it is better that I drop out of this thread. I do hope that you find someone that fits your needs, and that enjoys the experience they have associating with your project.
Old 6th August 2008
Banned

As Carpetsmoker said, this is a forum for BSD hobbyists.. some of us may use it at work, some may use it at home, or both for that matter.

I don't know the real statistics, but some of us likely use BSD as an exclusive operating system... with that said, we likely can't play that "game", so.. recapping what DrJ said, What's in it for us?

Disclaimer: I remember seeing some statistics, hinting the possibly that more people here use BSD for server tasks and Windows/Linux/Apple for other purposes, but I hope those statistics were wrong.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 6th August 2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 6th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
recapping what DrJ said, What's in it for us?
Probably not much if you're not a fan of WoW. I think he's probably looking for someone that does play WoW to partake actively in his community rather than just someone that knows how to program.
Old 6th August 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Probably not much if you're not a fan of WoW. I think he's probably looking for someone that does play WoW to partake actively in his community rather than just someone that knows how to program.
This is pretty much correct -- you most likely will not have any incentive to work on this unless you enjoy playing the game (WoW).

I do want to stress that if you love coding and you love WoW, you do not have to love internet pocket communities. If you'd like to work on the server and mold it into a smooth running, bug-free realm to play on, and you'd like to enjoy your own work as a player, you are not required to play PR rep or make complicated personal decisions within staff. As you can see from our server's short history, there can be small bouts of drama attached to staffing a private server. You would not be asked to get involved in anything unless you wish to do so.