DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other OS

Other OS Any other OS such as Microsoft Windows, BeOS, Plan9, Syllable, and whatnot.

View Poll Results: Which windoze would you use (if you REALLY need to).
2K 11 17.46%
XP 39 61.90%
Vista 4 6.35%
7 9 14.29%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th November 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
I'm not aware of anything comparable to SSH that comes out of Redmond
Vista comes with a telnet client and server.

More seriously, I don't really like putty, it doesn't configure very well, it stores its configuration in the registry (easy migration) and has some minor (And other not-so-minor) annoyances.

The best Windows SSH client I've been able to find is SecureCRT, you'll need to cough up some dough for it, but it works pretty well.
Spam Deminer

cabal, CrossOver Office/Mac/Games is not a fork of WINE. It's a commercial product based on WINE that the company that sponsors and hosts much of WINE development develops and sells. What CrossOver Office/Mac/Games has WINE gets first because the first is just a specialized version of the latter.
Old 14th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

For all those looking forward to Windows7. From PCWorld and InfoWorld:
Quote:
Bottom line: So far, Windows 7 looks, behaves, and performs almost exactly like Windows Vista. And it breaks all sorts of things that used to work just fine under Vista. In other words, Microsoft's follow-up to its most unpopular OS release since Windows Me threatens to deliver zero measurable performance benefits while introducing new and potentially crippling compatibility issues.
and
Quote:
Lipstick on the Pig

So where does this leave us? For starters, we can now say with some certainty that the Windows 7 build I tested is just a repackaging of Windows Vista. Key processes look and work much like they do under Vista, and preliminary benchmark testing shows that Windows 7 performs right on a par with its predecessor. Frankly, Windows 7 is Vista, at least under the hood; if nothing else, this should translate into excellent backward compatibility with Vista-certified applications and drivers.

Except that it might not. The M3 build of Windows 7 breaks all sorts of things that, frankly, it shouldn't be breaking. Worse still, the suspected source of a major compatibility bump--the neutered UAC prompts--is in fact architectural in nature, one of the few truly new features of Windows 7's secure computing stack.

Windows Vista has permanently eroded the company's reputation among IT decision makers, and from what we've seen of Windows 7 so far, Microsoft still doesn't get it.
Old 16th November 2008
UNIX lover

>Windows Vista has permanently eroded the company's reputation among IT decision makers, and from what we've seen of Windows 7 so far, Microsoft still doesn't get it.

But as far as they have enough money ... ;-)
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
cabal, CrossOver Office/Mac/Games is not a fork of WINE. It's a commercial product based on WINE that the company that sponsors and hosts much of WINE development develops and sells. What CrossOver Office/Mac/Games has WINE gets first because the first is just a specialized version of the latter.
If I take the sourcecode, tweak it, shake it, do some magic on it, develop it in a different direction (e.g. Crossover Office) - then I would call it a fork. There are enough examples. Where ends the specialized version, where begins the fork? The same was true e.g. for BSD/OS and the rest of the free BSDs. How many code do they have to change to call it actually a fork? And employing some Wine developers makes the difference? What about Apple developers with FreeBSD commit-bit? Call it whatever you want, I did just name it that way because of a different direction in development. Maybe Winex/Cedega is more of a fork then Crossover and seeing the controversy back since the beginning of Wine, then yes - but I think this is very offtopic, so just yield some fuzzy-logic on the term 'fork' and take it as 'so-so fork' ;-)
Port Guard

I have to say so far my favorite version of windows would be XP. I have never played around much with windows 2000 on any of my own systems so I never really got a chance to learn it. As for vista, I have vista home premium on my main system, and had vista home business on my laptop. I have also tried a beta version of windows 7. My wife likes vista, but I think that comes more form being a very general user. She isn't the one that has to install software, get the wireless working, or try and delete a file. this was a good one, i have had to delete files from the system...now these are files that were owned by me yet I was unable to delete them from the system. It kept telling me I needed administrative permission and I have the administrator account on the system... After using vista for over a year I have to say it is about as good as ME was, if not worse

Windows 7 started to to be a much better system then vista, or even Xp for that matter when i first installed it. After a couple of months things just started to go wrong with it. Programs would freeze, or wouldn't start up at all. I had programs uninstall on their own, files disappear, all the fun stuff. A friend has been using a RC release of Windows 7 and has said that they may have gotten things right with finally. I have yet to download the RC version, and am not sure if i will. I
Old 14th August 2009
Administrator

Added Windows 7 option.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 14th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypt View Post
Windows 7 started to to be a much better system then vista, or even Xp for that matter when i first installed it. After a couple of months things just started to go wrong with it. Programs would freeze, or wouldn't start up at all. I had programs uninstall on their own, files disappear, all the fun stuff.
Recognize that it is pre-release software. As such, rough edges are guaranteed.
Old 14th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypt View Post
Windows 7 started to to be a much better system then vista, or even Xp for that matter when i first installed it.
Rmember that Windows 7 is nothing more then Vista SP2 with tweaked interface, they call it a new name, but its still Vista under the hood.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
Old 14th August 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Recognize that it is pre-release software. As such, rough edges are guaranteed.
You can download Windows 7 RTM, which is basically the release version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Rmember that Windows 7 is nothing more then Vista SP2 with tweaked interface, they call it a new name, but its still Vista under the hood.
True, but they did a pretty good job tweaking it IMO, it's still Windows, and I still don't care much for it. But it works much better than Vista. I haven't used it a lot (i.e. daily), but so far it looks pretty good.
Administrator

@Carpetsmoker

I also heard good things about Seven.

I am also curios if they fixed their USB stack, for example, if you have plugged USB printer into, lets call it SLOT1 USB port, it will be detected as PRINTER1, you can print etc. If you later plug it to PORT2 USB port, it will be AGAIN detected and installed as PRINTER2, but it is treated as a new and DIFFRENT printer. If you now start printing some documents on PRINTER1 while its connected to PORT2, you can wait forever ... until you delete these printer jobs and start printing on PRINTER2 ... or reconnect your printer to PORT1.

Not very mature ...

Old 14th August 2009
Daemonology student

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
until you delete these printer jobs and start printing on PRINTER2 ... or reconnect your printer to PORT1.
... that is, if the spooler service doesn't get stuck with an 80-90% CPU activity, eventually bringing the whole system to a halt.

USB support was screwed right from the beginning and it seems things aren't much better in the latest versions than they were in 98SE or 2K.
Knuth's homeboy

Ok, I have a question for the Vista users: will you upgrade to 7?
Why or why not?
Old 14th August 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
Ok, I have a question for the Vista users: will you upgrade to 7?
Why or why not?
I had a Vista installation on my Laptop, I got a license when I bought it, and it's useful sometimes to set some system settings (Like battery, trackpoint drift, etc. They are remembered and so it's useful for OpenBSD).

I replaced it with Windows 7 Beta, works pretty well.
I will need to see what the available options&pricings are for Windows 7 when it's released, I might get one for free at work. I would like the Ultimate version because you can change language very easily. This is useful at times when assisting other people with problems, I know most English/Dutch translations, but not the German, French, or whatnot.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
...will you upgrade to 7?
Not immediately, but I will in time. Mainly for three reasons:
  • Corporate America, & especially large corporations typically standardize on Windows. Enough said.

As subpoints, it also doesn't hurt to stay abreast of what Redmond is doing. Maybe I'm not addicted to their wares, but many people are, & some of those people might pay my bills. Knowing the terrain is a good thing -- just like knowing a bit of OS X.

Diversity also breeds tolerance. Although I prefer OpenBSD, all operating systems have their place & function. Neither is any one operating system perfect -- even OpenBSD.
  • Some laptop vendors (Lenovo...) only provide BIOS updates via Windows applications. For these situations, I prefer dual-booting because I don't need to boot into Windows often, & the overhead of virtualization merely for this one reason isn't justified. I just need the disk space.
  • The Open Source Unix-like operating systems still pales in comparison to the support of Flash & other youtube-like venues. Like it or not, there is salient information in these formats.
Old 15th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
[*] Some laptop vendors (Lenovo...) only provide BIOS updates via Windows applications. For these situations, I prefer dual-booting because I don't need to boot into Windows often, & the overhead of virtualization merely for this one reason isn't justified. I just need the disk space.
You can always boot cut-to-minimum Windows from USB pendrive, about 100MB ISO images are available on torrents/warez sites.

Old 17th August 2009
Port Guard

well i am currently running the Windows 7 Rc client on my laptop and so far it is much better then vista with less resources used...just testing it out for those people i do work for that will only run windows
Old 22nd August 2009
UNIX lover

>Neither is any one operating system perfect

It hasn't anything to do with perfection, there are just some operating systems that suck less :-)
./dev/null

My vote for the most usable and stable OS Microshaft has put out is definetly Windows 2000 pro. I do like Windows 7 (Vista SP3?), but that is probably because there is not much else to like at the moment, Vista was a gong show and a half ......

But, I DO NOT use workstation OS's, the only Windoz i do run at the moment is 2003 server 64bit, always ran server, progressive evolution led me to OpenBSD, and like many down this road, I have tried MANY MANY different operating systems (for many many uses).

In fact I still do use many Linux's and I have an iso of EVERY Windoz os from 98SE -> 5 versions of Windoz 7 on my FTP, and MANY other operating systems. Christ i even have a Macbook Pro (OS10.6.2) and a VM of OS 10.6.2 .... yes many a night geeking, the network beckons.
./dev/null

Quote:
Diversity also breeds tolerance. Although I prefer OpenBSD, all operating systems have their place & function. Neither is any one operating system perfect -- even OpenBSD.
OpenBSD is not perfect???

NOW IM REALLY CONFUSED !@#$%^&*()