DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Package Pilot

Default cyphertite!

cyphertite is a high-security scalable solution for online backups. cyphertite features include:
  • client-based system
  • IPv6 support
  • compresses and encrypts all data before transmission
  • deduplicates using fixed-size pieces of data called "chunks"
  • all network traffic is encrypted using openssl certificates and keys
  • realm deduplication i.e. only backs up a file once if it is on N computers that share the same user account
  • incremental backups for shorter backup window and smaller metadata files
  • local cache database of chunks already sent to server avoids unnecessary encryption and network traffic
  • pay according to storage space used, not per client machine
  • demonstrable privacy of client data with open source client

The project needs more testers.

https://www.cyphertite.com/

How to install cyphertite
How to configure cyphertite

Last edited by qmemo; 26th May 2011 at 04:39 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Administrator

FREE TRIAL? Thanks, I would rather get Bacula

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Banned

While advertisements aren't generally a good idea on this forum, this product/project appears to be by (..at least indirectly) Macro Peereboom.

He wrote OpenBSD's softraid(4) framework, bioctl(8), and he has a few other projects like the xxxterm browser.

However, I agree with vermaden at least in the sense that there are easier ways to backup.. and some 3rd party service isn't necessarily the best of them.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 26th May 2011 at 06:41 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Administrator

Well, I do not wanted to be rude, but I would love to see 'cyphertite' changing their policy to something like VirtualBox at least, a functional core ready to use as You like, truly enterprice options are paid or require support.

The best case would be to have full source at permissive license and optional support if You need it.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Package Pilot

@BSDfan666
@vermaden

write down all your suggestions and I will note Marco, if you guys can not reach him; I can
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
write down all your suggestions and I will note Marco, if you guys can not reach him; I can
First of all, as Cyphertite probably aspires to be something like IBM TSM or Symantec NetBackup, it should implement as many of their killer features as possible.

Quote:
compresses and encrypts all data before transmission
Something like differential backup from TSM would be nice (sending only changed blocks of modified files).

Quote:
deduplicates using fixed-size pieces of data called "chunks"
Deduplication is very nice feature.

Quote:
all network traffic is encrypted using openssl certificates and keys
Not all that critical for LAN, more for WAN, important for location <-> location backup over the net.

Quote:
realm deduplication i.e. only backs up a file once if it is on N computers that share the same user account
Also nice, but if deduplication is 'ON' then would the duplicated blocks wouldnt be deduped anyway?

Generally the creators of Cyphertite should get a copy of TSM server (available for download), check IBM Redbooks and other IBM TSM information and check what else they would need/implement.

#7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Package Pilot

@vermaden

Notes delivered, well be back with comments if any.

Thanks man.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Administrator

Welcome

#9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
15:51 <marco> just a comment and obviously we didnt convey the message
15:52 <marco> the backup service is meant for practical paranoids
15:52 <me> well, write down so I 'd take it as is.
15:52 <me>
15:52 <me> thats it?
15:52 <marco> need some coffee first
15:52 <me> sure thing, I 'll be here.
--- Log closed Thu May 26 15:57:50 2011
--- Log opened Thu May 26 16:53:20 2011
16:59 <me> so what am gonna say back to him?
16:59 <marco> Something like differential backup from TSM would be nice (sending only changed blocks of modified files).
16:59 <marco> it does that
17:00 <marco> // all network traffic is encrypted using openssl certificates and keys
17:00 <marco> Not all that critical for LAN, more for WAN, important for location <-> location backup over the net.
17:00 <marco> we dont support no encryption
17:00 <marco> for obvious reasons
17:00 <marco> // realm deduplication i.e. only backs up a file once if it is on N computers that share the same user account
17:00 <marco> Also nice, but if deduplication is 'ON' then would the duplicated blocks wouldnt be deduped anyway?
17:00 <marco> yes and no
17:00 <marco> we cant global dedup because of said security features
17:00 <marco> but realm we can
17:01 <marco> did i cover it all?
17:01 <me> well, let me check
17:02 <me> yub, all his comment is replied now.
17:02 <me> I will take that back to him as we speak.
done
Old 26th May 2011
Administrator

Nice, really nice, the only thing left is to have some basic core as open source for all usage patterns, like VirtualBox (I already whined about that earlier), but I understand if that do not happen, writing software costs ...

If 'they' have such functional core, then they only need to write needed clients for backup of various systems (VMware ESX/vSphere using VCB Proxy, Exchange, MS SQL, Oracle including RAC/DataGuard and other such systems in single and cluster variants).

Also creating a backup server in cluster mode is also essential for many enterprise environments, also support for various tape libraries I think.

Wish them good luck with their project.

Old 26th May 2011
Banned

Not sure what you're talking about, the client is open source vermaden.. the service they offer will eventually go pay, so the server-side is closed.
Old 27th May 2011
Administrator

@BSDfan666

That 'FREE TRIAL' sign on the page must have mislead me.

Old 1st June 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Nice, really nice, the only thing left is to have some basic core as open source for all usage patterns, like VirtualBox (I already whined about that earlier), but I understand if that do not happen, writing software costs ...
howdy vermaden!

we are working towards a self-contained version of the backend that can be run locally, so i believe we are heading towards the core functionality you speak of.

Quote:
If 'they' have such functional core, then they only need to write needed clients for backup of various systems (VMware ESX/vSphere using VCB Proxy, Exchange, MS SQL, Oracle including RAC/DataGuard and other such systems in single and cluster variants).
there's quite a bit of work involved in creating a proper port of cyphertite to windows. once that's out of the way we can handle most of what you describe above using VSS on windows systems and the corresponding snapshotting facilities on other OSes.

Quote:
Also creating a backup server in cluster mode is also essential for many enterprise environments, also support for various tape libraries I think.

Wish them good luck with their project.
VTL support is beyond the scope of what we're aiming at for the time being, but our backend that people are backing up to now is indeed clustered. thus the drive to have more people test the service.

interested to hear any further input you guys have.

cheers,
jake

----

Quote:
done
I wanted to expand on the chat with Marco a bit...

Cyphertite is not only for the "practical paranoids". Cyphertite is for anyone interested in a secure, efficient, and offsite backup solution. Cyphertite and our online backup service were designed with security as a top priority. The data is encrypted before it leaves your computer and we never see your passwords used for data encryption. That means we could never see your data even if we wanted to. What is stored on our servers amounts to meaningless bits without your password, and only you will ever see that password.

Let us know or post back if you would like any other features explained.

Last edited by vermaden; 1st June 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 1st June 2011
Administrator

@Conformal

Hi

Quote:
Cyphertite is not only for the "practical paranoids". Cyphertite is for anyone interested in a secure, efficient, and offsite backup solution. Cyphertite and our online backup service were designed with security as a top priority. The data is encrypted before it leaves your computer and we never see your passwords used for data encryption. That means we could never see your data even if we wanted to. What is stored on our servers amounts to meaningless bits without your password, and only you will ever see that password.
If I understood correctly, offline backup is on 'my' servers while online backup is on 'yours', something like dropbox service (big simplification) for example?

Old 4th June 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
@Conformal

Hi

If I understood correctly, offline backup is on 'my' servers while online backup is on 'yours', something like dropbox service (big simplification) for example?
that is indeed correct. the service is similar to dropbox, mozy, carbonite, backblaze, spideroak, etc, in that it offers online storage of your data. the notable differences are that

(1) it is open source, so the more inquisitive user can see what is being done with their data, they do not need to simply trust that our closed source binary is behaving

(2) we have made a special effort to use the strongest modern crypto available. all data is encrypted with a variant of 256-bit AES-XTS before being encrypted on the wire using openssl with 521-bit ECDSA keys and certs. the point here is that we want to make it impossible for us to ever see your data, so you don't need to trust us.

(3) customers do not pay per client machine, they pay according to the amount of data stored on our servers. dropbox charges according to the size of the file on your machine and not what is taken up on their servers, and many of the other services charge per client machine. if you have 100 machines with lots of data in common, our service only charges for what is stored on our servers.

in many respects cyphertite is similar to spideroak, albeit with an open source client and stronger crypto.

we are charging USD 2.00 per 20 GB of space used per month. we allocate in 20 GB segments since it provides the simplest way to bill users. if it weren't for all the business records i need to keep, i'd probably only need 20 GB for my workstations and 40-60 GB for my music and photos. with our pricing model it would cost me USD 6-8 per month to keep my data securely backed up.

product expositions aside, i think i used to be on this forum back in the day.... making another post about that.

cheers
Old 9th June 2011
New User

Default Cyphertite update released

Today we released an update to our Cyphertite backup program! The new version is 0.1.3 and in it we have added bandwidth throttling along with remote metadata storage. We have also fixed a few bugs that were identified over the past few weeks. Get the update here: cyphertite.com/snapshots/source/0.1.3
Old 29th July 2011
New User

Default Cyphertite 0.3.1

We have been busy updating Cyphertite...

Cyphertite now supports improved Linux integration by providing packages for two widely-used package formats - RPM and deb. In addition, the packages are hosted via yum and apt repositories. Currently there are repositories tailored for Fedora 14 and 15 (i686, x86_64) and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Ubuntu 11.04 (i386, x86_64). See the cyphertite wiki at http://opensource.conformal.com/wiki/cyphertite for more details about setting up and installing cyphertite from these repositories.

You can download it here: https://www.cyphertite.com/products.php
Old 29th July 2011
Fdisk Soldier

I'm trying to compile Cyphertite on FreeBSD 8.2-Stable. If fails with "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lshrink"
Quickly googled but couldn't find anything.
Old 29th July 2011
Package Pilot

@fossala

http://opensource.conformal.com/wiki...source_tarball
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Yes I have followed that guide. I've got all the dependacies (won't let you start building without). I have then ran ./ct_install.sh as the guide says but it stops saying the error messege above.