DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
Shell Scout

Default Questions about BSD (in general)

Hi. I wanted to change from linux (Sabayon) to BSD (preferably DesktopBSD), but would like to know.
1) Does it support my wireless card (rtl8187b), and which howto would get it going?

2) reading through the ubuntu forums (used to use it, b4 going to sabayon) I found this two questions by a user called Ptero-4:
Q1
Q2
And it quite picked my curiosity and decided to ask them here.

Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
Spam Deminer

1) I don't think it's supported. There are hints on mailing lists that it might be, but there's nothing definite. Somebody else might be able to help you along. There's the NDIS framework that you might be able to use with a Windows driver to get it working.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...ork-setup.html

2) I find both of those posts preposterous and outrageous. Ubuntu and any other Linux has much the same, but a few distributions hide the text. The last question isn't even worth answering. It's absolutely stupid that the blubbering idiot picked that question to ask. There's some common sense involved in the naming process. Oh, I don't know, maybe the letters actually stand for something. Those two questions aren't even worth anyone's curiosity. By the way, stay away from Ubuntu Forums. There's a lot of misinformation there.

3) Why did you choose DesktopBSD? I've always used vanilla FreeBSD. I love the flexibility.

Last edited by ninjatux; 19th August 2008 at 01:23 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
Banned

For #1.

No, relevant searches show no native driver exists for the aforementioned chipset.. a Linux driver exists but that won't be useful in this situation.

For #2.

A1) BSD != Linux, hiding the "kernel text" would be counterproductive.. BSD is Unix, changing it into something else is not useful at all.
A2) To distinguish between file systems? What an entirely pointless question to ask.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
Shell Scout

Sorry. I asked the second because I have seen quite a few users in several linux distros (there were even two in the old bsdforums before it died out) asking about it and some even said (dunno if it is true, not surprising though) that it´s Microsoft shoke-holding major developers so as to shape the development of the diferent *NIX systems in such a way that they become less attractive to new users to the point that they´re (supposedly) no longer a threat to microsoft dominance in the computing world (wouldn ´t be surprising considering their anticompetitive moves regarding illegal software integration and the illegal way they have to drive rivals into bankrupcy).
P.D: Is not that I believe in it, just that I had to do an essay about Microsoft illegal bussiness practices the last semester at college and learned quite a lot while preparing it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
Risen from the ashes

Q2: Has that person ever heard of acronyms? If not, they should not be around computers in any way shape or forms.

Q1: Uh, maybe because people want to know what's going on, instead of just seeing some stupid graphic that hangs with no indication of what worked and what didn't?

What a waste of time that was. Remind me to never visit the Ubuntu Forums again.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
Shell Scout

I also forgot. The reason for wanting the boot/shutdown splash thingie is that sometimes other ppl in my family (all of them computer illiterates to the nth) want to use my computer and if it happens to be off, chances are they´ll freak out when they see the kernel text messages going on (they´re used to winxp´s boot screen and any type of text based boot screen makes them think the computer is broken). I say that because a few years ago (back when linux was at kernel 2.2 and linux devs had the "we hate graphical bootscreens" attitude) I installed linux in the family computer (didn´t have a computer for myself) next to the OEM preloaded win98 and one specially bad day my older sister turned the thing on and didn´t select "DOS" in lilo, she came running all freaked out thinking that I had broken the computer, and later that day I realized to my surprise that she booted into linux and got scared of the text based boot process. I had been trying to get a nice OS with fully graphical boot and shutdown process just to keep this from happening again (and no, teaching them how it works is not an option, for reasons I can´t grasp they just can´t learn anything related to Opensource software at all (they can´t even learn how to use firefox for christ sake, trying to get them to learn BSD is IMO pretty much impossible)).

Also, a question (a bit OT I guess) is there any issue with Ubuntu, or is just the forums (I´m not member in them, but I have visited a few times and it seems pretty much similar to other linux fora I have visited, and even the old bsdforums (R.I.P))?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
Banned

If you are inherently opposed to a text based operating system, an OS which, for all purposes started out as a system designed for text processing... Why use it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser
...and linux devs had the "we hate graphical bootscreens" attitude)
I'm most certain even they dislike "graphical boot screens", such abominations are typically additions contributed by individual distributions.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

You could make your own bitmap image (or use someone elses) and use it as a splash screen when you boot. It's easy enough to do anyways.

http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/free...ash_screen.php
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser View Post
I also forgot. The reason for wanting the boot/shutdown splash thingie is that sometimes other ppl in my family (all of them computer illiterates to the nth) want to use my computer and if it happens to be off, chances are they´ll freak out when they see the kernel text messages going on (they´re used to winxp´s boot screen and any type of text based boot screen makes them think the computer is broken). I say that because a few years ago (back when linux was at kernel 2.2 and linux devs had the "we hate graphical bootscreens" attitude) I installed linux in the family computer (didn´t have a computer for myself) next to the OEM preloaded win98 and one specially bad day my older sister turned the thing on and didn´t select "DOS" in lilo, she came running all freaked out thinking that I had broken the computer, and later that day I realized to my surprise that she booted into linux and got scared of the text based boot process. I had been trying to get a nice OS with fully graphical boot and shutdown process just to keep this from happening again (and no, teaching them how it works is not an option, for reasons I can´t grasp they just can´t learn anything related to Opensource software at all (they can´t even learn how to use firefox for christ sake, trying to get them to learn BSD is IMO pretty much impossible)).

Also, a question (a bit OT I guess) is there any issue with Ubuntu, or is just the forums (I´m not member in them, but I have visited a few times and it seems pretty much similar to other linux fora I have visited, and even the old bsdforums (R.I.P))?
1) Tell your family that nothing is broken, if a bunch of text spits out of the screen a few seconds after they turn it on. They don't need to understand what's going on.

2) I don't think anyone was referring to Ubuntu, as in the distribution; I certainly wasn't. It's just that Ubuntu and any variant thereof has a tendency to attract most newcomers to Unix. Eventually, those people start to think that they're kings of Unix and begin to help other people out, but in fact, they know next to nothing about Unix. So, while Ubuntu maybe a respectable distribution in its own right, the vast majority of users are not as experienced as they pretend to be on that forum. That creates a pretty pitiful environment of support for any true newcomer because they're likely to be misled. And now, it's not like any other Linux forum. LQ and Fedoraforums have tons of qualified, experienced people participating in discussions and helping out. The fact that a nearly 5 page thread did not have a single answer to the original question and that another long thread tried to prove that it's ok to run a GUI on a server anytime shows you how pathetic Ubuntu forums really is. Please stay as far away from there as possible. Come here; most people here could give you advice on almost any Unix variant there is, so there's really no need for you to even go there.
Old 21st August 2008
Just a computer user...

On the topic of file system "names"... all you had to do is to refer them to names of other file systems...

ntfs, fat8, fat16, fat32, ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs...

I think I found ufs, ffs, zfs, hfs more consistent... the other one's seem to be so random.
Package Pilot

The newest quarterly status report was just released yesterday, and contains info about ongoing work on the graphical bootloader, including screenshots, see: http://wiki.freebsd.org/OliverFromme/BootLoader

We definitely need this. Some people just can't handle bootloadres/text boot loaders. One day I asked my girlfriend to grab some files off my desktop when she was home, and she called later to tell me she hadn't got them because every time she booted, she got a weird error message.

What she was seeing was GAG (http://gag.sourceforge.net).

And she didn't even wait 10 seconds for it to auto-boot the OS before powering it down!

Last edited by Weaseal; 21st August 2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 21st August 2008
Just a computer user...

Ahhh how hard is it to just ignore the boot up text!! That's insane!! If one doesn't know what the test is about then just leave it there...
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Q2: Has that person ever heard of acronyms? If not, they should not be around computers in any way shape or forms.

Q1: Uh, maybe because people want to know what's going on, instead of just seeing some stupid graphic that hangs with no indication of what worked and what didn't?

What a waste of time that was. Remind me to never visit the Ubuntu Forums again.
Actually, I think more people like us ARE needed there. That's why I have been hanging there (in the server forum) for quite a while now. When I need my sanity back I come here.

I stay there precisely because there is tons of bad advice being given there and I wanted to try to balance it, and throw in some accurate information. I have actually had arguments over there over things that are widely accepted as fact. Sadly, Ubuntu is becoming like a religion to some, and the n00bs think they can instantly be web developers and admins, and then do things like run a professional web site on a dynamic DNS provider and argue with me that there is nothing wrong with that. Some days, it's really a challenge but I do it mainly to help people and keep my Linux skills up. I have 108 thank yous so far so I must be doing something right

Some of you know I had started a thread here on the striking changes in the Linux community. I don't think it's a good thing, and I see the same thing starting to happen in the BSDs. I don't think *BSD was intended for desktop use, at least not with a GUI. If you want to do it, yeah that's fine but it's *purpose* is to run servers (which it does VERY well). I dunno, when I come here and see n00bs asking if BSD supports their wireless card I have to think they just don't get it. </rant off>

-Tim
Old 3rd September 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
Ahhh how hard is it to just ignore the boot up text!! That's insane!! If one doesn't know what the test is about then just leave it there...
I know it sound silly to us. But believe me for some ppl it IS hard. And to make things worse unlike our beloved OS´s we can´t just debug and mod ppl´s behavior because we don´t have the sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
Actually, I think more people like us ARE needed there. That's why I have been hanging there (in the server forum) for quite a while now. When I need my sanity back I come here.

I stay there precisely because there is tons of bad advice being given there and I wanted to try to balance it, and throw in some accurate information. I have actually had arguments over there over things that are widely accepted as fact. Sadly, Ubuntu is becoming like a religion to some, and the n00bs think they can instantly be web developers and admins, and then do things like run a professional web site on a dynamic DNS provider and argue with me that there is nothing wrong with that. Some days, it's really a challenge but I do it mainly to help people and keep my Linux skills up. I have 108 thank yous so far so I must be doing something right

Some of you know I had started a thread here on the striking changes in the Linux community. I don't think it's a good thing, and I see the same thing starting to happen in the BSDs. I don't think *BSD was intended for desktop use, at least not with a GUI. If you want to do it, yeah that's fine but it's *purpose* is to run servers (which it does VERY well). I dunno, when I come here and see n00bs asking if BSD supports their wireless card I have to think they just don't get it. </rant off>

-Tim
I´m also thinking about getting an account there. Just to get some sanity across.

Also, an update. Installed BSD, but had to roll back to Sabayon x86 because the win98 driver (only one that works with this POS rtl8187b internal card) doesn´t seem to work in ndisulator (dunno why) and I need wifi (since my ISP gave us a wifi-only DSL modem). Ohh well at least it´s gentoo based, so I won´t be missing the ports system as badly.
BTW: I´m planning to resurrect an old Mac PPC that I´m gonna use to do my torrenting and background downloads. I´m gonna stick FreeBSD on it (it´s a fairly old Mac so compatibility isn´t going to be an issue).
Old 5th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
I know it sound silly to us. But believe me for some ppl it IS hard. And to make things worse unlike our beloved OS´s we can´t just debug and mod ppl´s behavior because we don´t have the sources.

I´m also thinking about getting an account there. Just to get some sanity across.

Also, an update. Installed BSD, but had to roll back to Sabayon x86 because the win98 driver (only one that works with this POS rtl8187b internal card) doesn´t seem to work in ndisulator (dunno why) and I need wifi (since my ISP gave us a wifi-only DSL modem). Ohh well at least it´s gentoo based, so I won´t be missing the ports system as badly.
BTW: I´m planning to resurrect an old Mac PPC that I´m gonna use to do my torrenting and background downloads. I´m gonna stick FreeBSD on it (it´s a fairly old Mac so compatibility isn´t going to be an issue).
(*BSD = Infinity) > Gentoo
(Ports = Infinity) > Portage
Old 21st January 2009
Shell Scout

Some good news.
Sabayon finally took the 2.6.27 kernel which gives me native support for the dreaded rtl8187b card. But now it got me a little question to ask. Can the linux compat stuff in freebsd somehow tunnel the in-kernel rtl8187b driver so that I get wifi off BSD through the linux kernel?
Old 21st January 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:

2) reading through the ubuntu forums (used to use it, b4 going to sabayon) I found this two questions by a user called Ptero-4:
Q1
Q2

For people like him they invented MS Windows