DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2008
Port Guard

Default Need to use full path to commands and xorg.config problem

I've got two problems with my newly installed FreeBSD 7.0 workstation.
  1. After installing X11 and Openbox, I can no longer access some commands directly. for example shutdown and pkg_version need the full path (/sbin/shutdown) or I get a 'command not found', while find on the other hand works without using full path. This applies for both root and users.
  2. I cannot find an xorg.conf file anywhere. X and Openbox both start up fine. I never ran xorgconfig after install, and to be honest, I'm a little afraid it might screw something up if I run it now . Will running xorgconfig create an xorg.conf file? Will the fact that X11 worked 'out-of-the-box' mean I can safely run xorgconfig and it will detect everything alright?

Thanks in advance.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2008
Local

1. When you su, be sure to use su -. Without the '-' you do not get root's full PATH.
  2. Xorg 7.3 may not require a xorg.conf. Read: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../x-config.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2008
Port Guard

1. The same problem appears for users too. I just realized I have changes shell for my user and for root and that might be the problem. They now both use bash (I later found a post about not changing roots shell, oh well). Could it be I have to add /sbin to the PATH?
  2. Thanks for the url. I guess you're right. Problem is, where do I add localization stuff for X when I don't have a config file? I need to change the keyboard layout in X.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2008
Local

1. /sbin and /usr/sbin are not added to regular users' PATH because those contain administrative programs. If you really need those in your path anyway, then (for bash) update ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile appropriately. P.S. Change root's shell back to something in the base system if you want to avoid trouble down the line.
  2. If you need to customize, then you'll need to generate a xorg.conf file. You can follow the instructions at that same URL.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreud View Post
  1. The same problem appears for users too. I just realized I have changes shell for my user and for root and that might be the problem. They now both use bash (I later found a post about not changing roots shell, oh well). Could it be I have to add /sbin to the PATH?
  2. Thanks for the url. I guess you're right. Problem is, where do I add localization stuff for X when I don't have a config file? I need to change the keyboard layout in X.
Your path per user should be specified in ~/.profile. Your X options should be specified per user in ./.Xdefaults. Note that due to the
change of the default shell your profile might not be read.
For instance on OpenBSD in order to have your profile read you have to
specify in your .Xdefaults
Code:
XTerm*loginShell: true
That is actually default behavior of Xorg.