DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
New User

Default hello, how BSD reboot but keep memory

i want to do this: before BSD reboot, my program wrote same data in memory, after reboot, my loader program read this data from memory, so i need bios not clear memory.

how can i do, have someone give me a advice? so thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Umm, I'm no hardware guru, but memory clearing on reboot is pretty much a given. I've heard that you can freeze the memory immediately after reboot and forensically recover what was stored there, but it's more practical to put whatever data you need in a file on disk and have your loader read that file. That's what disks are for: non-volatile storage.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
More noise than signal

Clearing RAM on a boot sequence is hardware specific. Some platforms wipe, others do not.

I have an older server that does not wipe on boot; it uses an older AMD Socket 7 motherboard. I run OpenBSD on that server, it retains any prior dmesg buffer found at boot time, just in case it may be needed.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
VPN Cryptographer

You can write your own bios and burn your own rom to do that but then each box would need their own copy of that.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssir View Post
i want to do this: before BSD reboot, my program wrote same data in memory, after reboot, my loader program read this data from memory, so i need bios not clear memory.

how can i do, have someone give me a advice? so thanks
Perhaps you should send it to a Non-Volatile form of storage like the disk first? "Memory" as it is commonly meant, is inherently volatile and someone tripping over the cord doesn't ask your program nicely .

Questions of how to do that in a program, are more relevant to programming (in your programming language) or unix in general.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
Daemonology student

Theoretically, one way of doing that would be to dump core like debugging tools do and then later create a new process and inject the appropriate parts of the core dump into it in order to rerun the program.
But I don't think there are any software available that allow you to do that.

And by the way, yes, some (many?) machines don't clear memory after a reboot. Some BIOSs clear it only when they do the "full memory check" or have the "quick POST" option disabled.

Last edited by Beastie; 10th October 2011 at 08:09 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
Tcpdump Spy

While it may be possible after some tricks and wizardry, you have to wonder if there's not an easier way to accomplish the same end result...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2011
New User

Default answer

I have changed the BSD's code in "biostramp.S", in middle of this file, I reload MBR to 0x7C00, and jmp to 0000:7C00, but my computer crashed, maybe dead in "ntldr", thus, couldn't into windows.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2011
Banned

OpenBSD's MBR already relocates itself, what exactly are you trying to do? if you're attempting to have a piece of software in memory after the OpenBSD kernel loads, you'll need to modify the BIOS provided memory map to exclude that area.

After the kernel loads, you're dealing with a paged protected memory system, processes work with virtual addresses.