Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2010
Administrator

Default Ruby 1.9.2 approaches with release candidate

From http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...e-1033465.html

Quote:
The Ruby developers have announced the first release candidate for Ruby 1.9.2, the latest iteration of the Ruby language. The developers say they are on schedule to release the final version in August after adjusting their plans in March to ensure that 1.9.2 would pass all RubySpec tests. Currently 1.9.2 RC1 passes 99% of those tests
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th July 2010
New User

Bah, humbug! I even avoid using portupgrade because it's written in Ruby!

I hereby officially proclaim the Ruby fad to be over, for serious uses at least. We cannot have a zillion different scripting languages wasting space in our heads (not to mention on millions of *BSD installations which otherwise don't need it), especially ones so unremarkable as Ruby. It's not a hacker classic like Perl, it's not as noob-friendly for things like GUI automation as Python, it's slow, and, worst of all from *BSD point of view, it's copyleft. ((vomit))

#3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2010
Arp Constable

Well I avoid portupgrade as well, but that's because of it's bdb crap :-P.

Ruby is a great language for scripts and RoR still beats the hell out of the PHP stuff I've had to deal with. There's annoyances in any language and Ruby has them as well; most are from an unsurprising lack of going further or inherited from Perl.

It kind of irks me how long Ruby 1.8 has hung around - I expect to see Perl 6 and Ruby 2 enter "Production" after my death. If lucky, during my life time I just may get to see a C++0x become a standard, and common compilers support most of it.

Moving forward to ***modern*** versions of languages should happen every where. If the code can't run on releases made in the last 4-6 years, who ever is responsible needs to learn how to *maintain* code, write *maintainable* code, and know when it's *not* time to write more code. If you still have to use char* in place of void*, you have my condolences.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.