DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Port Guard

Default Porting Firefox to qt - progress?

Although it's not really an issue especially with the excellent gtk-qt-engine port, I'm interested if anyone has ever tried to build Firefox with qt. There was some talk about a qt version a while ago but that has gone quiet http://dot.kde.org/1094924433/.

I've spotted this thread, which looks interesting.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this matter, apart from the the "gtk is better, opera is better" arguments.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Banned

I remember seeing a mention of this in the ./configure script, unfortunately I'm not aware of it's progress.. it could be broken for all I know.

I don't believe it's supported, so if you have problems.. you're likely to be on your own fixing them.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Arp Constable

I'm not happy with the gtk-qt-engine thing up tot he last versions I've encountered on BSD...

Seeing Firefox in Qt natively would be kind of cool but unnecessary. When they have such an amount of code already working there isn't much point, especially since GTK+ and Qt are very much on most *nix desktop distros.

I've never touched GTK's API beyond C but find Qt very likeable in every language.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Spam Deminer

Fwiw, I've heard of the people of KDE and those of GNOME trying to find a common play ground.
Keep in touch, mail me in 10 years when both are gone.
IMHO, those WMs are a bridge too far and competing for the worst code since NetBEUI.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Why would you want to run firefox in QT in the first place? It may have some advantages over QT (And GTK may have some over QT), but most of those are probably "under the hood", as an end-user, why do you care?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Uber Geek

haha i was thinking the same thing 'smoker

Forum Netiquette
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Why would you want to run firefox in QT in the first place? It may have some advantages over QT (And GTK may have some over QT), but most of those are probably "under the hood", as an end-user, why do you care?
Integration with the rest of the look and feel of KDE, getting rid of the GTK save dialogue boxes.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2008
Arp Constable

Well, I admit that GTK has horrid save dialog boxes compared to KDE, but the KDE file dialog we all know and love is a KDE thing, not Qt. At least they are better then Microsofts...

IMHO at this time the only 'truly' integrated web browser for KDE is Konqueror, and porting Firefox to Qt wouldn't fix that.

Maybe forking a KWeasel or something might lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Well, I admit that GTK has horrid save dialog boxes compared to KDE, but the KDE file dialog we all know and love is a KDE thing, not Qt. At least they are better then Microsofts...

IMHO at this time the only 'truly' integrated web browser for KDE is Konqueror, and porting Firefox to Qt wouldn't fix that.

Maybe forking a KWeasel or something might lol.
To be fair, setting ui.allow_platform_file_picker to false sort of fixes this problem.

No, it still wouldn't be an integrated browser, but at least it would look KDE native, better than using the gtk-qt-engine port...
Old 5th June 2008
Coffee Addict

There are several add-ons for Firefox to make it look KDE-ish. Granted, I haven't found much to make the dialog boxes look good.

I use the Windows version of Firefox through Wine with:
The Mostly Crystal Theme
Konquefox
Plastik for Windows

There are some other ones out there, but those are the ones I use. I've used the themes and extensions with the native version too.