DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2011
Package Pilot

Default Going from -current to -current with bsd.rd

Hello people,

I'm trying to move from -current(13th September) to the latest -current using 'bsd.rd'.According to 4.12 part of the FAQ i can put the new bsd.rd file '/' directory and boot it to the next reboot.

so if i do something like this

1)
Code:
#cd /
2)
Code:
#mv bsd.rd bsd.rd.old
3)
Code:
#cp bsd.rd.new /
4)
Code:
#mv bsd.rd.new bsd.rd
And on the next reboot i should press

'bsd.rd' and choose update?

Are these the correct steps?

if yes here is the problem :

When booting keyboard is not responding ; even if i try '-c'.Strange thing is that the num lock led is on.Also i noticed that i can't enter bios.The keyboard is also not responding.

They might be different issues but i'm writting both because they might be related.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2011
More noise than signal

The gyrations you have in your steps are unnecessary. Such things are normally used to mitigate the risk of loss of the GENERIC kernel in the event of an untimely cessation of the OS due to power failure or a hardware disruption during a cp(1) or mv(1). The RAMDISK kernels typically do not need this.

If you are having trouble booting the new snapshot's RAMDISK kernel, there are only three possibilities:
  1. A bad download, or a bad file at your mirror. This may be confirmed or ruled out by using the SHA256 file from another mirror with sha256(1).
  2. A bad kernel. This could be a newer function or section of code that manifests as an unbootable kernel for you. The fix is to wait for a newer snapshot to be built, and see if a newer kernel has the same problem.
  3. Some sort of problem with your hardware that becomes uncovered by a new feature of this kernel.
The least common cause is #3. You can test #1 yourself. That leaves #2.

Wait for the next snapshot. If a newer snapshot has the same problem, you can report it to the bugs@ mailing list. (The project's bug reporting system is currently offline, and is not expected to return.)

Be sure to read both http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html and http://www.openbsd.org/report.html before Emailing bugs@.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th October 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Wait for the next snapshot. If a newer snapshot has the same problem, you can report it to the bugs@ mailing list. (The project's bug reporting system is currently offline, and is not expected to return.)
Hello jggimi and sorry for the late answer but i had some issues to deal with my system.At the moment i reinstalled stable and will try to upgrade to the latest snapshot with a CD the only guranteed way to upgrade so far.Anyway as i can see i am not able to use the keyboard even with stable 4.9 so as you said i'll wait for the next snapshot and if nothing changes i'm gonna make a report.

edit: The keyboard just 'died'.So before i try anything i'll try with a new keyboard and i'll report back.

Last edited by sepuku; 6th October 2011 at 09:05 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2011
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
edit: The keyboard just 'died'.So before i try anything i'll try with a new keyboard and i'll report back.
This sounds like the likely problem to me. If, as you wrote, you can't even enter the BIOS (setup), then that is before any kernel or even boot loader is executed.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
This sounds like the likely problem to me. If, as you wrote, you can't even enter the BIOS (setup), then that is before any kernel or even boot loader is executed.
Well after buying a new keyboard the problem insisted.I was able to use the keyboard normally(bios,ukc prompt etc)after removing the battery from the motherboard and putting it back to its place!

Last edited by sepuku; 13th October 2011 at 11:39 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2011
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
Well after buying a new keyboard the problem insisted.I was able to use the keyboard normally(bios,ukc prompt etc)after removing the battery from the motherboard and putting it back to its place!
Hmm, how old is the battery, ... maybe it will need replacing before long? Glad to hear the problem is solved. I hope the extra keyboard will come in useful soon.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Hmm, how old is the battery, ... maybe it will need replacing before long? Glad to hear the problem is solved. I hope the extra keyboard will come in useful soon.
Well my pc is '5 years old' so the battery should be the same 'age'.

Tags
bsd.rd, current, upgrade