DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th July 2008
New User

Post USB wireless network adapter, ndis problem

Hi. I have the D-Link DWL-G122 Rev. A2 USB wireless network adapter (the one not supported by FreeBSD 7), so I am trying to get it to work with ndis. I run
Code:
ndisgen PRISMA02.inf PRISMA02.sys
where PRISMA02.* are the Windows XP drivers for this USB wireless network adapter. This part works fine, and I get the PRISMA02_sys.ko file. I am able to load it with
Code:
kldload PRISMA02_sys.ko
and I have also copied it to /boot/modules and edited /boot/loader.conf to load it on boot. Everything up to this point works fine. But after PRISMA02_sys.ko, if_ndis.ko and ndis.ko are loaded, I am not able to use the ndis0 device, that is, when I run
Code:
ifconfig ndis0
it tells me that the device cannot be found. I've looked at the handbook, and also searched for solutions to similar problems, but everything I find on this issue is like 4 years old and says that USB is not yet supported by ndis. I'm not sure if it is, but I looked at the FreeBSD CVS repository and it does look like USB support has been implemented. Obviously I am doing something wrong or missing something, but I am not sure what it is. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th July 2008
New User

It looks like my USB wireless network adapter is appearing as ugen0, but
Code:
ifconfig ugen0
says that ugen0 is not an interface. Interestingly, it also identifies the chipset as GlobespanVirata Cohiba 3887 rev0. It turns out that GlobespanVirata has merged with Conexant, and on the Conexant drivers page there is a link for Linux drivers for this product to www.linuxant.com who have developed the product DriverLoader for Linux which works just like ndiswrapper, but they don't have any equivalent for BSD. But I haven't found a solution yet.

Last edited by ronaldmcdonald9; 8th July 2008 at 12:04 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th July 2008
Banned

ugen(4) is the USB "generic" device, it will attach when no other driver can.

Please read man pages.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 8th July 2008 at 04:40 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th July 2008
Spam Deminer

FreeBSD does not yet fully support USB devices through NDIS - read : it doesnt work.

Instead, try p54u driver from prism54 project: www.prism54.org

It is available as port net/p54u

Last edited by richardpl; 8th July 2008 at 04:32 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
New User

Hi. This looks exactly like what I've been looking for. However, I am now having some difficulty installing it in FreeBSD 7. I run the following commands as root:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/net/p54u
make install clean
and I get compilation errors, of the type where symbols are not defined, and so on. (I don't have the exact output with me, because I don't have Internet access without this driver.) I have also tried installing it using the www.prism54.org method (not as a port, I just run the make command provided with the p54u-0.8.tar.bz2 file), and this is where I am getting the compilation errors. What should I do? Note that this is now a port installation problem.

Note: I have tried every previous version of this driver and each one fails to compile. Does this have something to do with the fact that these drivers were written for FreeBSD 6, but I have FreeBSD 7? Or is it possible that I am missing some kernel header files somewhere or something (even though this port has no dependencies other than itself)?

Also, according to http://portsmon.freebsd.org/chartsan...ph.i386-7.html, net/p54u "should be in sync with the kernel to work correctly"? Could this be the problem?

Last edited by ronaldmcdonald9; 9th July 2008 at 03:40 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Absolutely, post output of error, and maybe something will come up, also send bug for that port.