DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th February 2010
Banned

Default GIMP on AMD64 issues?

Has anyone had issues installing GIMP for the amd64 release from the ports collection? I've tried installing it but it stalls after downloading qt4. I've also tried adding the GIMP package with pkg_add, but that doesn't work either. Just wondering if GIMP has been updated for 4.6 release/amd64.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th February 2010
Administrator

I am splitting your message from the original thread due to your specific OpenBSD package questions posted to an generic informational thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie
I've tried installing it but it stalls after downloading qt4.
Given the vagaries of packet transmission, you may want to try a different mirror.
Quote:
I've also tried adding the GIMP package with pkg_add, but that doesn't work either.
It is not clear why you are separating these two statements. Were you trying to compile the port before installing the package? Can you be more specific? Can you also post the value of PKG_PATH used? What mirror was used?

Reviewing Section 15.4.1 of the FAQ may be in order.
Quote:
Just wondering if GIMP has been updated for 4.6 release/amd64.
No. The version found on the master site:
Code:
dir gimp*
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
-rw-r--r--  1 0  0  18611697 Jul  8  2009 gimp-2.6.6p0.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 0  0    639828 Jul  8  2009 gimp-lqr-plugin-0.4.0.4p0.tgz
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>
...matches that mentioned in Section 15. In general, -release packages & ports are not updated mid-cycle unless there has been a significant vulnerability which has been fixed or other circumstances have led to someone to take the time to push through changes.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2010
Banned

I tried installing Gimp in /usr/ports/graphics/gimp by typing "sudo make install && sudo make clean." This works until it downloads qt4 at which point it stalls.

I tried getting the binaries from http://openbsd.mirrors.pair.com/4.6/packages/amd64

by using "sudo pkg_add -iv ftp://openbsd.mirrors.pair.com/4.6/packages/amd64/gimp."

This also did not work. I'm going to take your advice and try another mirror.

I have a hunch that qt4 might need java to compile, which is what I'm spending my day doing right now. Not for gimp, but to have Java on my machine.

I'm not really looking for directions b/c I've installed gimp via packages and ports before on previous versions of OpenBSD. I know what I'm doing to some extent. I was looking for someone with an amd64 to say either "It works for my machine, you're doing something wrong." or "I've had the same problem, too."

I'm very grateful that anyone has taken the time to read my comment and had any feedback to give. This is a great community and OpenBSD is a great operating system.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
I tried installing Gimp in /usr/ports/graphics/gimp by typing "sudo make install && sudo make clean." This works until it downloads qt4 at which point it stalls.
The ports system works by the Makefile directing the downloading of source from the original project's authoritative servers. If the build hangs because it is unable to download their source, this is not under the OpenBSD project's control, & any of us would then be at the mercy of whatever redundancy (& availability) external projects have in place. Some are more redundant & resilient than others.

A quick search on the ports@ mailing list didn't reveal any prior discussion on anyone else having problems with downloading portions of QT4. I, however, have had similar issues with other ports. Usually it takes awhile (a week or so...) for things to reach normalcy again.
Quote:
I have a hunch that qt4 might need java to compile, which is what I'm spending my day doing right now.
There is no reason to guess. Two Makefile targets, print-build-depends & print-run-depends will state the exact build & runtime dependencies. Go to the appropriate directory in the ports tree & run both:
Code:
$ cd /usr/ports/x11/qt4
$ sudo make print-build-depends
$ sudo make print-run-depends
$
For more information, study the ports(7) manpage.

Also be aware that JDK 1.7 is available as a package. Older versions will always require local building due to licensing issues. For more information, see Section 8.3 of the FAQ.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2010
Banned

Thanks Ocicat. I looked up one of your suggestions from the your first reply yesterday and discovered the problem lies in the ftp mirror site I've been using for the longest time. They didn't have all the latest packages, which is why I couldn't pkg_add Gimp and a few other programs I had been trying to install even though I was able to install them on amd64 on OpenBSD 4.5.

It's just that the mirror: ftppenbsd.mirrors.pair.com doesn't have every single file, which explains why qt4 didn't work b/c it was looking for "poppler", which didn't exist on that site yesterday or the weeks before. It wasn't a Java issue at all.

I'm using another mirror now that has so far been very reliable and fast, too.

Once again, thanks for your support and guidance without which I would not have been able to pinpoint the problem and resolve the issue.