DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
New User

Default BSD Girls/Woman Thread

I would like to say Hye and Yeah to all girls and woman who are using *BSD operating system as their desktops/servers OS.

Just voice out and say Hello in this thread if you're same gender with me..

-woss-
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Very very sad to say, but it's probably not the best idea to admit that you're a girl online. It can be unsafe, although it helps to hide your location and everything else.

I'm not saying one shouldn't do it, just be a bit cautious.

Overly protective of his two nieces, who are both intelligent adults,

Scott
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Yeah, I'd take a cue from Scottro- he doesn't admit he's a girly girl online. Or that he's 9 years old.

jk, scottro, I know you appreciate the sarcastic humor.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I laughed so hard I scared my cat. Yeah, even manly men like cats sometimes.

Ok, time to go play with my hello kitty toys.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
I laughed so hard I scared my cat. Yeah, even manly men like cats sometimes.

Ok, time to go play with my hello kitty toys.
Clyde (my big dog) almost ate Apple (my daughter's kitten) this weekend and there was a Hello Kitty notepad found at the attack side.....hmmm...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Uber Geek

kitty ? I have the marriage box set that includes dear daniel and hello kitty in their wedding outfits!

jk ( or am i? )

Forum Netiquette
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Puhleeze--my wife (if I really have one) has a Hello Kitty:
Vacuum Cleaner
Waffle Maker
Calculator
Umbrella
Alarm Clock
Towels
etc. etc. As her friends know she likes Hello Kitty, whenever they come from Japan, that's what they bring. There's also a Hello Kitty store on 42nd street, which isn't that far from here.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Uber Geek

wow your "wife" is a big obsessive

Forum Netiquette
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Are you sure there was no suicide note in LOLspeak? Perhaps Apple was attempting death by Rottweiler. (Now it would be funnier if Clyde's name was Bill, but anyway....)

Oh, Corey_James, I left out (after a quick walk in the kitchen, the Hello Kitty coffeemaker, and toaster oven.

Errm, we've really hijacked this thread, haven't we.
Old 9th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Are you sure there was no suicide note in LOLspeak? Perhaps Apple was attempting death by Rottweiler. (Now it would be funnier if Clyde's name was Bill, but anyway....)
Well, Apple did start it she scratched Clyde's nose. He was just trying to figure out what she was. I'm really not sure how Apple survived with no marks.

Quote:
Errm, we've really hijacked this thread, haven't we.
Well to put in some what back in topic. My youngest daughter isn't allowed to use her name or anything descriptive online.

Through my older daughter I actually know a girl that was lured by an older man online. And a local cop was just arrested last week for using myspace to "statisfy his foot fetish" with teen age girls.
Spam Deminer

LOL, you guys are a riot. You're way more entertaining than my barbie dolls... I mean my wife's barbies.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
LOL, you guys are a riot. You're way more entertaining than my barbie dolls... I mean my wife's barbies.
Hey, you started it by revealing the truth about me--errm, by making wild accusations.

Going back to being serious, of course women are welcomed. There are far fewer, percentage wise, for whatever reason. Maybe it's cooler for young guys to be into computers than young girls, and I suspect that what's cool when we're 10-14 stays with us.

If anything in any of my posts made it sound as if I don't welcome female techies, it was not meant to be that way. Also, worldofopensource's avatar is really nice--these avatars are all so small (or my old eyes so weak) that it's hard to tell, but I think it's a leopard (as is mine.)

Anyway, I repeat, if anything I've written here made women feel as if they wouldn't be welcome, it was not my intent nor my meaning. Just please be careful of posting personal information.
Old 9th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Well, despite this caution that we excercise, we really should be supportive of women in our community- there are so few of them, and it would be nice to see more of them contributing. So definitely, if you are 'of age', and take appropriate steps to not be a target, by all means, please consider this a warm welcome to our mostly-male community... and forgive our 'guy-banter' ... or join in!
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofopensource
I would like to say Hye and Yeah to all girls and woman who are using *BSD operating system as their desktops/servers OS.
Welcome. If you're indeed a woman using BSD, you're part of a small minority on this forum.

[ Additionally, let me be the first to say: AFAIK your gender doesn't matter here. Your level of interest and knowledge do. ]
Arp Constable

Some of the laughter aside... I think this thread is more then befitting the words "hijacked by girly man".

(Note to female readers: no sexist intent meant here, I just have a sense of humour :-P)

scottros initial posts have some good advice, I know if I had a daughter.. Heh, one can just imagine a paranoid father >_>. The extent of the spam industry alone these days is alarming enough lol.

Still, it's no need to take over the thread guys, even if it is in the off-topic forum 8=).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
[ Additionally, let me be the first to say: AFAIK your gender doesn't matter here. Your level of interest and knowledge do. ]
Well put anomie.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 11th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
This is why I keep quiet :O My hobbies include BSD, apathy, and ignorance. And Mario Kart Wii.