DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2019
Administrator

Default Laptop with Linux Mint fails to wake-up / resume

About two weeks ago I accidentally closed the laptop lid while the system had not yet completed the shutdown procedure. Stupid me ;-)

Now it refuses to boot up. Probably tries to resume the shutdown procedure .....

Because I also cannot get into the BIOS, my only solution looks like removing the hard disk and connect it to a desktop system. Then I can use the desktop system (OpenBSD or FreeBSD) to read the disk and retrieve some files I had been working on.

Would giving giving the suspend/resume partition a different partition ID, prevent the system from trying to resume?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2019
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Would giving giving the suspend/resume partition a different partition ID, prevent the system from trying to resume?
Closing the lid would only suspend the machine and that would not use the swap partition.

What actually happens when you try to start the laptop? Do you see the GRUB menu?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
Because I also cannot get into the BIOS...
Sometimes, "locked down" laptops can still use an alternate-boot sequence, booting from USB or PXE.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2019
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick, I don't use Grub because it is a single OS machine. The laptop HD lights are on, it is reading or trying to read the HD. I let it try for 10 minutes, but then gave up ......

Jggimi, thanks for the idea. I am downloading a bootable USB image now .....
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2019
Too dumb for a smartphone

My idea is to power-down the laptop; this may require removing the battery and reinserting it. This would remove the OS running in RAM that is trying to suspend-to-RAM in the middle of shutdown. After that I think you'd be able to get into a normal BIOS boot. On the downside this would likely cause damage to filesystems and any unwritten data, etc. Just a thought, as the latter may or may not matter to you.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2019
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
I don't use Grub because it is a single OS machine
Which bootloader do you use then?

It is possible that you are using GRUB but with the menu timeout set to zero — try pressing the <shift> key while booting to get the menu to show up.

But anyway a "live" ISO image would be more usefui here, if you can get a USB stick to boot.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2019
Administrator

IdOp, the HP support website suggested the battery removal procedure. And you have to press down the "Power On" button for 15 seconds. I tried this a few times but it did not work.

Head_on_a_Stick, I don't use any bootloader.

Jggimi, the USB stick did not boot. Normally I can choose in the BIOS startup screen to boot from disk (the default), from CD or, from USB. But I don't get that far.

On Youtube a video called it the "Black Screen of Death", which seem to plague HP laptops. My laptop was handed down to me from my daughter. She bought it through a collective purchase at the Technical University in Eindhoven, when she was a student there. Actually it is a Compac 8510w model, that was rebranded as HP Compac 8510w.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2019
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
I don't use any bootloader
I can assure you that Linux Mint needs a bootloader to boot

The most minimal configuration would be EFI_STUB booting whereby the kernel itself starts the system by masquerading as a PE/COFF image but this would only be possible if the kernel is custom compiled with CONFIG_CMDLINE pointing to the initramfs image (or with a custom NVRAM entry to do the same), have you done that?

The default Mint bootloader is GRUB so try pressing <shift> during the boot process and see if you can bring up a menu.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2019
Tcpdump Spy

Removing the power cable, battery, and pressing the "power on" a few times to get rid of any residual charge has always worked for me in these kind of situations.
More noise than signal

I know that some systems will not EFI boot when stored keys mismatch due to error or damage. It's not yet clear if this system was deployed with a GPT for EFI boot or if an MBR "legacy boot" was used.
Old 28th March 2019
Administrator

Some years ago I disabled the quick BIOS startup and configure it to always show a menu that allows me to choose to boot from CD, hard disk or PXE. When an USB bootable stick is present it will show the USB stick as "hard drive" boot option.

It does not show anything on the screen anymore.

I cannot get into the BIOS (pressing ESC, F10) and the screen just stays black. Normally when I connect an external monitor, the BIOS prompts me whether I want to use the external monitor or the laptop screen.
It also does not do this anymore. So it seems to me that the BIOS, or at least the part that displays something on the screen, is not started at all.
More noise than signal

Pull the drive, and see if it will give you BIOS options with the drive pulled. If it does, this means that there's an EFI boot key issue or some sort of hard drive failure preventing BIOS operation.

If the laptop remains inoperative without a disk drive, then you have a bricked laptop or a hardware failure.
Old 28th March 2019
Marveled user

Quote:
I cannot get into the BIOS (pressing ESC, F10)
Since it's a HP/Compaq, you can try F2 to access BIOS/UEFI, or F9 to access the start menu.

Edit :
Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
(...)you have a bricked laptop or a hardware failure.
Well, the laptop tries to access the HDD, so it looks more like a display failure :
Quote:
The laptop HD lights are on, it is reading or trying to read the HD. I let it try for 10 minutes, but then gave up ......
Quote:
(...)the screen just stays black(...)
If the screen remains black in all circumstances, especially after removing the HDD, so I would suspect anything within the video power distribution (capacitor or else...), eventually the screen or the video card, but the capacitors would be my first guess.

In suspend mode, HDD, fans and screen are powered off, not the RAM. So, basically, electricity continues to flow, and without fans on a long period, a capacitor could overheat.
If the power input is right next or in a close-range of the external video output, this would increase my suspicions...

Last edited by LeFrettchen; 29th March 2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 30th March 2019
Administrator

I pulled out the hard disk yesterday. Upon powering on again, the hard disk lights still continued going off and on. That only stopped after I took out the 2 memory DIMM's and put them back in.

Still no BIOS to go into. I wonder if the laptop BIOS is on the disk.
Several years ago I bought 2 Compac Pentium I systems on Ebay. They had a BIOS on the disk. I learned about that when it was too late and already had blown away all partitions during the OpenBSD install ........
Administrator

The laptop still does not work.
From a small local repair shop, I bought an external USB disk enclosure and put the laptop disk inside. The disk was OK and I even could boot from it. So I quite happy again ;-)

Tags
suspend resume laptop