DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 25th September 2008
./dev/null

Patrickbear ->

Most of the people at this forum have spent many a nights and days testing, troubleshooting and probably a bit of swearing. I do believe we all here are quite confident in OpenBSD and its workings and going ons. I must say that i to do find it quite insulting that a person with 10+ years of systems administration (a varied os experience i assume?) has to ask a silly question about something that he/she has the resources to answer for themselves.

"jgimi, with all respect, but I am not paid for debugging." Yikes man ... so what do you do, create user accounts? I to admin a multiple environment network with over 28 servers, and I debug quite a variety of different errors daily, its part of my job. Unfortunitly being on the phone with tech support of some applications that my company has purchased, is also part of my job, keeping the network and its services running properly.

"My opinion about things like this USB-stuff is quite simple: Don't do it", yes your opinion, now we ALL here have plugged in a USB device into OpenBSD of many different versions, although your opinion *MAY* matter, your delivery of it is quite rude. Why do i say that? well because it seems to me that you have more time to be a smart ass online about what you *HAVE* done than what you are willing to spend time on to get working.

No offense to anything stated or otherwise but like i said it seems to me like you are too lazy? or busy? to try out what you are asking, like Jggimi said "This is not a help desk, Patrick. This is a user community. It's a relatively small one, too." That means that we basically do our own testing and troubleshooting which i am sure you are familiar with, which includes us plugging in a E-SATA connecter to "test" out results.

I am sure that you MAY have been thorough in testing this USB problem across 3 BSD platforms, with different USB devices i hope? to conclude that BSD (in different flavours with different setups) IS in fact the problem.

I have more than ten years of systemadministration in my fingertips, and almost 8 with BSDs, as well as Sun, SGI etc. I doubt I'll need some funny lesson telling me where to find hardware errata or commercial support. If you don't have any other assistance to offer: Thank you and have a nice day.

"The question remains, does anyone have experience with ESATA and is it stable with OpenBSD. Because until gettin paid for spending a week or two trying and testing if it works: No way." I am not sure if you are a director or super manager of some IT department somewhere but it sounds to me like you are far to educated? to do some dirty work, also refusing quite a few sincere and definitive responses and retorting with comments to people that CAN help ........... But it seems to me that you have already decided that BSD's and USB are a no-no (your opinion, as you stated).

Oddly enough i have not had any problems to that effect with supported devices ... and I have been using OpenBSD since 2.4 and MANY, MANY, MANY other operating systems ...

"Oh well...

Back to topic, if someone really has experience, with ESATA, please tell me."
I get paid to test and retest and configure and reconfigure, then deploy, I am shocked (and offended )to find that another sysadmin does not get paid to do such things for his servers or network, all jokes and bashing aside, i am sure that you posses the skills and experience to answer your own question about ESATA ...........

Last edited by There0; 25th September 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 25th September 2008
Banned

@There0, PLEASE use the forum quoting features.. that's entirely incomprehensible!

There was a recent discussion on the OpenBSD mailing lists about E-SATA, any serious OpenBSD user would be monitoring such lists.

The basic conclusion, a SATA connector and a E-SATA connector are identical, if the SATA chipset is supported by OpenBSD.. and it happens to also have a E-SATA port, then it's supported.

Done. Question answered.

http://marc.info/?t=122203084000010&r=1&w=2
Old 26th September 2008
./dev/null

My bad, morning and all, I just got typing away the documents that I usually type are raw text.
Old 2nd October 2008
Just a computer user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaer View Post
It's funny you mention that. I just had a 2T USB-drive connected to this machine here, did not even mount it, merely plug in, partition and unplug.

When I came back 10 minutes later: FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE
I've recently got a 1TB USB drive... I plugged it in, dd /dev/zero into it, partitioned it with fdisk and set up disklabels, formatted it, mounted it, copied over 500 GB of stuff over it, unmount, unplug...

Well the system is still up and running now...

It is a SATA hard disk inside, and it is 1TB... not sure if that makes the difference.
./dev/null

My OpenBSD setups work great too, I had 1 problem actually in that, on a laptop yet, my audio controller was not supported. Every time I went to open a .mp3 file or any other song it would hang the whole system, but I knew it wasnt supported, so ... I am starting to think this fellow may perhaps even have a hardware problem or maybe just an L-user error
Old 4th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

There,

let me tell you a little story about the company I was working for:

It's a medium sized company with approx. 100 users. The infrastructure has grown over the last ten years and maybe you have some experience with long-term developments? It's not a newly designed thing every two years, it is a living thing, things grow here and there and whereever, new machines are stuffed in and forgotten, because the plan to do something different was discarded, and so on...

So before my time, they hired at least three companies to develop a suitable solution for their daily work. The last one was a rather big one, and they billed around 20k for their new setup. They were to deliver a high-availability system with every little gimmick you can imagine.

And they too, needed weeks to debug and develop, write new code and stuff and scribble down sh...eets of documentation. The result?

A more or less working system. The redundant systems were redundant. At least, more or less, because the second system could take over the services, but did not switch back. Databases could only be used readonly. Systems hung when another one did not respond in time. When a daemon died, the other system did not notice and hence the whole redundancy was dogfood. Redundancy was given for totally unimportant machines, while vital systems did not have a backup. some machines failed to work properly, because the package management was not up to date enough to keep up with the latest development.

Anyway, the point is: All of this "take X OS, glue together with some looks ood hardware and use nails to fix the loose parts"-style might work more or less in the first place. But sooner or later, you'll run into serious problems. And if those problems occur while your boss is sitting in front of the system, showing a potential 500k customer what the company can do, kill ya butt goodbye and pack your bags

So this is why I stick with the things I know they work.

Oh btw, I say that for the third time now: All I asked for was OPINIONS, not solutions.
Old 4th October 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Ok, the question has been answered, we've all made out points, the troll has been fed, please do not feed it again.
./dev/null

There are many people here that have the same and quite vaster experience, with users, hardware and budgeting etc. I ran a whole department for 84 users once and was the ONLY person in the there, I did administration, management and tech support, just me.

They had 1 (one) 450p3 desktop running ALL there services (domain, ftp, smtp, dns, proxy, http, sql and a couple I forgot). IDE mirrored RAID (teehee ...) and 256mb of ram while it ran at well over 600mb, thus paging fiercely.

Off topic, I also stick to things that work, mainly OpenBSD for my services (except the odd one that requires something special), nobody here said it was the only OS they use ... Most expericenced admins or developers and other such persons here also have much experience with other peoples shoddy work and having to "deal with it", especially when Murphy is watching, like you said in front of a "potential 500k customer".

So, my opinion is, use OpenBSD, if it does not have it (yet) you dont need it, also use USB on OpenBSD, it works too
Old 5th October 2008
./dev/null

I just brought my Troll, his name is OpenBSD and he's hungry