DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2008
Shell Scout

Default MySQL permission oddity

I have MySQL running on my FBSD box at home, finally. I decided to make a small database for analyzing /var/log/messages, as my system has been under an interested distributed hack attempt lately and I wanted to see if it would actually be useful to try blacklisting the addresses (sometimes over 200 different addresses attempting ssh connections in one day).

To make a long story less long, I made a database "hackers", with one table "attempts". This table has three columns "time_id", "IP_address", and "faileduser_id".

If I connect to the database as root, I can see the table and columns correctly. Obviously this is not a good practice so I then made a database account "syslog" and gave it permissions accordingly:
Code:
grant all on hackers to syslog@localhost identified by 'PASSWORD';
where of course PASSWORD is replaced by my awesome, secure password.

So then I connect to the database as syslog:
Code:
> mysql -u syslog -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
And connect to the database and look for tables:
Code:
mysql> connect hackers;
Current database: hackers

mysql> show tables in hackers;
Empty set (0.00 sec)
Any MySQL guys out there who might know what is going on here? As I said, the user root on the same MySQL instance can see the tables just fine.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2008
Administrator

Instead of
Code:
$ mysql -u syslog -p
try
Code:
$ env USER=syslog mysql -u syslog -p
EDIT:
I was assuming mysql looks at the environment variable ${USER} to determine which user you are. However http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/privileges.html says
Quote:
As a user, when you connect to a MySQL server, your identity is determined by the host from which you connect and the username you specify.
So if I interpret the docs correctly, my suggestion to use 'env' won't work.

Does the output of SHOW GRANTS FOR 'syslog' give any clue?

Last edited by J65nko; 13th December 2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Reasoning added
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Does the output of SHOW GRANTS FOR 'syslog' give any clue?
Code:
mysql> show grants for 'syslog'@'localhost';
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for syslog@localhost                                                                                   |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'syslog'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '' |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `hackers`.`hackers` TO 'syslog'@'localhost'                                           |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `hackers`.`demo` TO 'syslog'@'localhost'
I'm not entirely sure why we have 'hackers'.'hackers' and 'hackers'.'demo'
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2008
Shell Scout

Default Found it...

Looks like the problem was that it was permissions for tables, not databases. In this case, the database was called "hackers" and the table was called "attempts".
AFAIK, there may be no mechanism to grant permissions for entire databases, only for tables within. So then I did
Code:
mysql> grant all on Attempts to syslog@localhost identified by 'varlog';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Followed by
Code:
mysql> show grants for 'syslog'@'localhost';
| Grants for syslog@localhost                                                                                   |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'syslog'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '' |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `hackers`.`Attempts` TO 'syslog'@'localhost'
And now the user 'syslog' can see the Attempts table. The columns within show up as well, so it looks like I can proceed.

thanks!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantazz
If I connect to the database as root, I can see the table and columns correctly. Obviously this is not a good practice so I then made a database account "syslog" and gave it permissions accordingly:
Code:
grant all on hackers to syslog@localhost identified by 'PASSWORD';
You should never give all privileges to users that don't actually require them!

Instead of giving a user all privileges, give him only the privileges that he needs. In fact you will only need the SELECT and INSERT privileges, but if you want to delete or update some data (remove old entries for example) from the database you can add the DELETE and UPDATE privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantazz
Looks like the problem was that it was permissions for tables, not databases. In this case, the database was called "hackers" and the table was called "attempts".
AFAIK, there may be no mechanism to grant permissions for entire databases, only for tables within.
Actually there is a way and I suggest you that you create your database this way - giving the user syslog minimum privileges:

Code:
GRANT SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE 
ON hackers.*
TO 'syslog'@'localhost'
IDENTIFIED BY 'somepassword';
Note the way you give permissions to the entire database - the second row, note the .* after the name of the database.

You can have a look at the MySQL documentation for more information about the GRANT syntax and the different levels of privileges
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/grant.html

Also to reduce the number of hackers trying to get into your box via SSH, you could change the port number SSH is listening to - for example some high port number.

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org