DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2013
Port Guard

Default packages working across platforms?

@ocicat Thank you very much, now I understand clearly.
I have a lot to learn and for now I go from the OpenBSD -release and find a solution for the input method.
I don't now if I need to open a new thread for ask something like: is possible a package work properly in different architecture don't work properly only in one? and/or only in one machine?
Maybe is time to change the hardware (but this don't solve the problem of a package broken???)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2013
Administrator

This thread has been split from its parent:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=8209

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstef View Post
is possible a package work properly in different architecture don't work properly only in one?
Due to the lack of resources, porters are not able to verify the correctness of a port across all platforms supported by OpenBSD, however, some ports:
  • have been designated to work only on specific platforms.
  • are marked as broken on specific platforms limiting how where they can be built.
As examples:
  • databases/riak will build only on amd64.
  • databases/mongodb is marked broken on all platforms following the rthread library change introduced in OpenBSD 5.2 I believe.
Quote:
Maybe is time to change the hardware (but this don't solve the problem of a package broken???)
I don't know if the problems you are experiencing are specific to the Loongson port of OpenBSD. The Loongson port is one of the newest in OpenBSD's history, so there may be issues. Does Chinese character input (as mentioned in other threads...) work on other OpenBSD supported architectures? I don't know.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st November 2013
More noise than signal

Packages are built from ports. The build rules are located in the port's Makefile, and may specify architectural limitations by setting variables such as $ONLY_FOR_ARCHS, $NOT_FOR_ARCHS, and $SHARED_ONLY.

With one exception, packages are not cross-architecture. They are binary executables that are limited to a single architectural platform. The exception is documentation packages, which are defined as having no architecture at all.

The $BROKEN variable is set to prevent building a port entirely, and is used when there is a structural change in the OS that causes problems with the port. This is a different than the architectural limitation rules noted above.

Last edited by jggimi; 21st November 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: mentione of no-arch packages