DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th July 2020
New User

Default segfaults with gkrellm and no audio

Hey i recently decided to switch back to openbsd from freebsd for a bit of extra security and don't mind the extra work but there seems to be a lot of buggyness in the stable branch i'm using when used with blackbox, gkrellm and chrome.

i realize gkrellm and blackbox are a bit outdated.. are they something i should just leave behind? i really prefer a simple x interface with console windows to get done anything extra cirricular thats needed.

also don't get more than a few hours uptime before segfaults.

no audio in chrome, get:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:ERROR:sndio_output.cc(69)] Couldn't open audio device.

any trick to it? i recall in previous versions user groups had to be added but figured the package system would take care of it all by now.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th July 2020
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
i realize gkrellm and blackbox are a bit outdated.. are they something i should just leave behind? i really prefer a simple x interface with console windows to get done anything extra cirricular thats needed.
That is similar to my "philosophy" too. If blackbox is not the source of your other problems, then maybe no reason to leave it behind. But you could try fluxbox, which I believe is a fork of blackbox, and probably more modern yet very responsive. A number of folks here used to use it last time we discussed window managers (several years ago), and I still use it today.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th July 2020
Package Pilot

gkrellm works fine for me with Fluxbox.

But what plugins are you using ? For me, gkrellmreminder-2.0.0p10 causes a segfault in gkrellm, not sure why (yet), but I did not look too hard. The only plugin I use is gkrellsun-1.0.0p0
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th July 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
don't get more than a few hours uptime before segfaults
Before what segfaults? Can you get a backtrace?

Quote:
no audio in chrome
Does sound work otherwise? Have you read the FAQ?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th July 2020
New User

i just don't understand the draw of fluxbox over blackbox..

i can install aterm and set up transparent windows and stuff all on my own if thats all it is.

no backtracing yet, its actually grown more stable.. which is strange because i havent been doing any new installs or cvs updating.

gkrellm has moon clock plugin but i installed that a good few days after initial install and stability has not changed from conception.

been a few things on my plate i'll go into the sound faq and backtracing..

no sound does not work otherwise i tried piping through a few common HDMA audio drivers in /dev and no result as root or user.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th July 2020
More noise than signal

You're going to have to help us to help you.

We understand something segfaults but not what -- you've named multiple applications. Obtain the .core file, use egdb (the binary from devel/gdb) if a package binary, or gdb if a built-in binary to obtain a backtrace. That might help you understand why the unidentifed program segfaults. For many packages there are shadow "debug-" packages containing symbols, specifically for use with egdb.

Sound in OpenBSD 6.7 uses the sndio(7) subsystem, rather than direct device access. The superuser should not normally be needed for playing audio, unless the environment requires sysctl(8) or mixerctl(8) provisioning. Just start with the simplest use-case: aucat(1) playing an audio file, as described in the FAQ chapter Head_on_a_Stick recommended to you.