DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Shell Scout

Default Installing Xfce

Guys I've been running FreeBSD in textmode for quiet some time now and decided to install X11 so that it could be used for other things as well.
This time I wanted to try Xfce. In ports I saw x11-wm/xfce, xfce4, xfce4-desktop, and so on. So which one should I install (one which gives me complete desktop env. without installing too many extra ports like KDE-lite. and also there is no login manager for Xfce like Gnome and KDE, so what are my options for this. Can I install GDM without installing much of Gnome ports, cause I know if I install kdm it is going to install half of KDE .

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Deminer

xfce4
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Shell Scout

thanks, but what about login manager.
Is there any way by which I can change the background image or/theme of slim login manager?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Spam Deminer

I think ports has a slim-themes package that you can install. Then you can specify the theme in slim.conf which should be located in /usr/local/etc.

I don't use a login manager. I have the following code in my .zshrc, which automatically starts my Xfce session:

Code:
# start X11 after login on /dev/ttyv0 terminal
if [ $( tty ) = "/dev/ttyv0" ]; then
  nohup xinit -- -nolisten tcp -br -tst dpms nologo -xinerama -dpi 75 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
# start X11 after login on /dev/ttyv0 terminal
if [ $( tty ) = "/dev/ttyv0" ]; then
nohup xinit -- -nolisten tcp -br -tst dpms nologo -xinerama -dpi 75 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi
what it I want to login to the text mode. How can I achieve that with this in my .zshrc file
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Noob In Training

If your not yet familiar with the ins and outs of ports you can use xdm as your graphical "Display Manager". It is described in the FreeBSD handbook;

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/x-xdm.html

You could also use the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) or Kde Display Manager (KDM). I would suggest XDM or GDM over KDM only because KDE apps including KDM will look some what out of place in and around XFCE. The Gnome apps and GTK in general will look more native in and around XFCE.

Last edited by BuSerD; 4th September 2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuSerD View Post
If your not yet familiar with the ins and outs of ports you can use xdm as your graphical "Display Manager". It is described in the FreeBSD handbook;

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/x-xdm.html

You could also use the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) or Kde Display Manager (KDM). I would suggest XDM or GDM over KDM only because KDE apps including KDM will look some what out of place in and around XFCE. The Gnome apps and GTK in general will look more native in and around XFCE.
I guess XDM will also look out of place and problem about GDM is that it'll install lot of gnome ports. The most suitable login manager according to me is SLIM, I'll try changing its theme as ninjstux suggested.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Noob In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I guess XDM will also look out of place and problem about GDM is that it'll install lot of gnome ports. The most suitable login manager according to me is SLIM, I'll try changing its theme as ninjstux suggested.
Agreed, I would also add that I use a fair number of gnome apps so my theming preferences seem to follow the overall concepts gnome(although my DE of choice is Fluxbox). So for consistency of look and feel I find it useful to have some of the core GTK stuff installed, to that end GMD fits into my setup. This is what Open Source affords us, the power of choice and the flexibility configure and theme to our hearts content. I wish you luck

Last edited by BuSerD; 4th September 2008 at 03:02 AM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Port Guard

You can start xfce4 from the console prompt with the command startxfce4.
Old 4th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
what it I want to login to the text mode. How can I achieve that with this in my .zshrc file
You can still use the first virtual terminal because the Xfce process is thrown to the background and output redirected to /dev/null anyway, so the VT is free. You can also use any of the other VTs that you have enabled. Just switch from GUI to text when you need to and login to the appropriate VT.

Tags
xfce