DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
New User

Default Losing connection with Atheros wifi

I have been running a FreeBSD box for a while and using it as an AP with hostapd. My atheros-based card appears to be working and other computers can join the wireless network.

A random intervals, the routed service detects that the ath0 connection has been dropped. This causes all routes to the network to be removed. After 5-30 minutes (can vary as fair bit), the routed service identifies the link as coming back online and then everything works again.

The logs look like this:

Quote:
routed[572]: interface ath0 to <router_ip> broken: in=0 ierr=217 out=0 oerr=0
kernel: arplookup <laptop_ip> failed: host is not on local network
routed[572]: interface ath0 to <router_ip> restored
Since the AP was the only features that was failing, I have been putting off rebuilding the system. However, I just spent four days building a custom 7.0 install script that contains all the required settings. I have installed on new hardware with a new atheros-based wireless card.

The problem remains.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
Port Guard

Interference? (2.4Ghz cordless phones, microwave, nearby wireless networks ovarlapping with your channel, etc)
Intense activity (eg: P2P) maxing-out the Atheros? (I've seen this happen with Ralink-based cards on OpenBSD)

If your problem can be solved with a quick "ifconfig down/up", then you can set up a quick-fix (VERY temp until you sort things out) via a cron job that pings a well-known host then brings the interface up if it finds that it's down.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
If your problem can be solved with a quick "ifconfig down/up", then you can set up a quick-fix (VERY temp until you sort things out) via a cron job that pings a well-known host then brings the interface up if it finds that it's down.
Since it is the wifi that drops in and out, there are no permanent hosts on that part of the network. I manually created the routes, and stopped the routed service, and the problem appears to have gone away. This change was only made yesterday, so it is still early days.